Copying transaction does not bring with it attachment of receipt

taptapbite
taptapbite Member
Hello, if I copy a transaction from a wrong account to the correct account in quicken, the attachment is not copied. Why is that and where would it be? I understand I can open the attachment, copy it, then re-attach it to the new pasted transaction in the correct account. Sometimes there are many, like if I have to re-set a credit card account and a new credit card account is made. Very time consuming. Any suggestions? thanks, Paul
Tagged:

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My suggestion is to not put attachments in Quicken.  They bloat your data file and you can only get them out one at a time.  Get creative and create a folder structure and file naming convention to store them outside of Quicken.
    I know my suggestion does not help with your current question, but it is the best I can offer.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I would say that this fall under "works as designed".  Just because one is copying a transaction that has an attachment doesn't imply, they want to copy the attachment too.  It sounds like a feature request to me.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note if the original intent was to move transactions from one account to another, and as such the attachments should be moved too then then one should be using Move instead of Copy.

If one asks how to move transactions between non-investment accounts, the usual response is to use Copy and then go back and delete, this comes from the FAQ article.

This is recommended because of a bug in Quicken that Quicken Inc has refused to fix even after years and years of complaining about it.  If you go to move multiple transactions from one register to another that are reconciled, Quicken will prompt on every single transaction whether you want to move a reconciled transaction.  There isn't a "Yes to all" option.  Clearly this is unusable if you are moving thousands of transactions.

So, the FAQ suggests copy and delete.  This does have the side effect of losing the attachments.
    The less recommended way of doing the same thing is to first go in and select all of the transactions, and change the Clear status from reconciled, to cleared, and then do the move.  And then in the other account set the status of the transactions back to reconciled.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the OP is doing this a year later, in all practicality all of the transactions in the original account are probably reconciled, so doing the R->C, then move, the C->R should not be a big issue.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.