The R38.26 HF1 Mondo Patch Enabled Simple Investing When It Had Been Disabled

Options
markus1957
markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
R38.26 Mondo Patch enabled Simple Investing in Preferences when it had been disabled. Several Investment accounts were switched to Simple Investing.

Also in OSU Settings, the check box to Update Investing.Quicken.Com was checked after the Mondo Patch whereas it had been unchecked.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also in OSU Settings, the check box to Update Investing.Quicken.Com was checked after the Mondo Patch whereas it had been unchecked.
    This has been going on for more years than I remember.  I have complained about it over the years, but it seems like they are not capable of fixing it.

As for change to simple, that hasn't happened to me, have you set Complete in all the accounts instead of relying on the global setting?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    This has been going on for more years than I remember.  I have complained about it over the years, but it seems like they are not capable of fixing it.

As for change to simple, that hasn't happened to me, have you set Complete in all the accounts instead of relying on the global setting?
    I have now set them all individually to Complete, but I had been relying on the global setting.  I thought I would throw in the OSU setting annoyance in the event they actually looked into why data file preference settings are getting changed by updates.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My global setting was also set to Simple after the R38.26 update.  It is frustrating that the updates changes any preference settings, but then, the Devs know better than us mere users as to what we need, or at least they think they do.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    splasher said:
    the Devs know better than us mere users as to what we need, or at least they think they do.
    It isn't like that.  It is simply that they don't know what they are doing.

It looks simple, but it really isn't.

There are multiple things going on for the preferences.
    First off, the preferences aren't all stored in the data file.  Some of them are in user level configuration files, and some in machine level configuration files.  I definitely believe that the choice to update the online portfolio is somehow controlled in one of the configuration files and when they are doing their updates, they change it back to the defaults by accident.

The other thing going on is the "set to defaults" that has to be triggered at the right times.  There are going to be defaults that need to kick in when doing things like creating a new file or new account.  If they don't get this right, you see this kind of behavior.  An example of that is where they are recalculating the Opening Balance in accounts when they shouldn't be, it is supposed to only be done when the account is first created/connected to an online account.

The global Simple preference has an history that sets it up as going to be a problem.  I'm not sure if this is because of the "default code" or because the setting is actually in a configuration file that gets changed by the update, but it is clear it was "setup to fail" from the start.

The global Simple preference was marked Beta.  And then when they thought was now "released" the next release got rid of the global setting, setting it to on.  Clearly to me they never intended the global setting to be anything other than a temporary setting for testing.  That was their first mistake.

When the release came out removed the setting and had it on all the time and people complained, they made their second mistake.  If at that point they had just told everyone to go in and set the individual settings to Complete, and got through that, they would have been done.

But they didn't, instead the "temporary" global setting was put back in for the next release.

Now they have a setting that they never planned properly to hold the user's preference, and people expecting that the global setting will "stick".

Quicken Inc Windows developer's/management have big problem with following standards, from the fake main window to windows/columns that don't remember size/position, ...  And that extends into everything they do.  Look at the "New Home Dashboard", it doesn't properly remember its settings.  Quicken user have to time and time again tell them that they should remember such things.  That should be a given.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Note because of a new bug with the Lifetime Planner I needed to do a QCleanUI uninstall where I removed all of my configuration files and I noticed a few things that go back to the defaults (indicating that they are saved in the configuration files, not the data file).

1. Sounds turned off.
    2. Enable Simple Investing (positions-only)
    There might be others that I didn't remember the old setting from.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.