Previous payment amount.

silvasp
silvasp Member ✭✭
Is there a way, that when I enter a payee (monthly bill), the amount I paid the previous month, is automatically entered in the register?

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I'm sorry, but the reply above from @Quicken Jared is incorrect. There definitely is a way to have the most recent amount for a Payee show up the next time you use the Payee in a new transaction. 

This is done via QuickFill Rules. You can set this globally in Preferences > Register to creat QuickFill rules for all transactions as you enter them. The key is to set it to save "All fields" (not "Category only"):

Now, when a QuickFill rule is created, it will apply the entire transaction — category, amount, memo, tag — the next time you use the same Payee.

The next time as you start to type the Payee name, Quicken will pop up suggested entries, and you'll see your Payee twice: once the "naked" Payee name, if you want to accept the Payee but not fill in the other field, and again with a line which shows the QuickFill rule which Quicken is ready to apply to fill in all the fields:

Note that you can also control the creation of QuickFill rules on a transaction-by-transaction basis when via the little pop-up above the category field. Here again, make sure it shows "all fields":

So if you have the global preference set to create QuickFill rules, you can uncheck the box on an individual transaction if you don't want to save a QuickFill rule for that particular transaction. Conversely, if you have the global preference set to not create QuickFill rules, you can check the box on an individual transaction if you do want to save a QuickFill rule for that particular transaction.

One other note: turning on the global preference to create QuickFill rules will tell Quicken to create the rule with the amounts the next time you save a transaction for each Payee, so you'll have to enter the amount the next time — after that, the rule will fill in the amount for future uses of the Payee.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I've got something to add to to what @jacobs said: There is a setting in the QuickFill setup for each QF transaction to lock the QF. You want that box unchecked so it will update each time you edit. I believe the default is unchecked:

Also, you can quickly create a QF rule for any transaction by selecting the transaction in the register and then menu Transactions > Save QuickFill Rule (Command-Y). Personally, I prefer not to have them created automatically and use this method to create them only when needed.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2022
    If you mean a bill entered in the Bills & Income tab, I don't think that's possible. The scheduled transaction that shows up in the register will have the same amount every month (the amount you entered when you set up the bill), unless it's a e-bill in which case it will be updated with the amount you currently owe once a new bill is issued.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• silvasp
    silvasp Member ✭✭
    No. Just in the register. I want to do a command-n for a new transaction, enter the payee name, and have the amount automatically filled. This used to happen in a previous version. I don't know if they took it out or just turned it off (for me to turn it on again)
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    silvasp said:
    Is there a way, that when I enter a payee (monthly bill), the amount I paid the previous month, is automatically entered in the register?
    Hello @silvasp

Thank you for drawing the attention of the Quicken Community to this subject for further discussion.

Unfortunately, the feature I believe you are describing is not currently available in Quicken Mac. It is worth noting that you can recommend a feature you desire by creating what is called an Idea post here on the Quicken Community. Users then vote on the feature and - depending on its popularity - it is passed on to the development team for further consideration. I have linked a thread discussing how to create such a discussion just below:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849425/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community

Feel free to reach out to the Quicken Community with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    I'm sorry, but the reply above from @Quicken Jared is incorrect. There definitely is a way to have the most recent amount for a Payee show up the next time you use the Payee in a new transaction. 

This is done via QuickFill Rules. You can set this globally in Preferences > Register to creat QuickFill rules for all transactions as you enter them. The key is to set it to save "All fields" (not "Category only"):

Now, when a QuickFill rule is created, it will apply the entire transaction — category, amount, memo, tag — the next time you use the same Payee.

The next time as you start to type the Payee name, Quicken will pop up suggested entries, and you'll see your Payee twice: once the "naked" Payee name, if you want to accept the Payee but not fill in the other field, and again with a line which shows the QuickFill rule which Quicken is ready to apply to fill in all the fields:

Note that you can also control the creation of QuickFill rules on a transaction-by-transaction basis when via the little pop-up above the category field. Here again, make sure it shows "all fields":

So if you have the global preference set to create QuickFill rules, you can uncheck the box on an individual transaction if you don't want to save a QuickFill rule for that particular transaction. Conversely, if you have the global preference set to not create QuickFill rules, you can check the box on an individual transaction if you do want to save a QuickFill rule for that particular transaction.

One other note: turning on the global preference to create QuickFill rules will tell Quicken to create the rule with the amounts the next time you save a transaction for each Payee, so you'll have to enter the amount the next time — after that, the rule will fill in the amount for future uses of the Payee.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I've got something to add to to what @jacobs said: There is a setting in the QuickFill setup for each QF transaction to lock the QF. You want that box unchecked so it will update each time you edit. I believe the default is unchecked:

Also, you can quickly create a QF rule for any transaction by selecting the transaction in the register and then menu Transactions > Save QuickFill Rule (Command-Y). Personally, I prefer not to have them created automatically and use this method to create them only when needed.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    If you use Command-Y or Transactions > Save QuickFill Rule, the Create QuickFill Rule window will pop open, and the "Lock" checkbox illustrated above is checked by default. So if you always want to see the amount from the most recent transaction, you do need to manually uncheck that box each time before saving a rule. If you instead allow Quicken to create the rule while entering the transaction, the rule it creates will not be locked by default. 

QuickFill Rules are really powerful and useful, but as you can see, there are lots of options. The developers originally brought out rules which worked in only one way, but users clamored for more options because we all use Quicken so differently. This is a case where the developers listened, and created lots of options so users can get things to work the way they want — but at the expense of being more complicated to discover/learn all the ins and outs, as evidenced by the last few responses from me and @RickO.  
This discussion has been closed.