Quicken Running very slooooow...

domtrump
domtrump Member ✭✭
I have noticed in the past month that Quicken is running very SLOW. I click on something and it could take 4 to 10 (or longer) seconds to complete the action. What is happening? I have a lightning fast Intel Core i7 PC with lots of RAM and an SSD HD. How do I resolve this issue?

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @domtrump

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. For this particular instance, I would recommend performing a Qclean. Before starting the process please ensure you have made a backup of your current file. 

For more information and instructions please visit the link below. Since this is also a lengthy process I would recommend contacting Quicken Support to assist you with the process. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Paloma
  • rmeden
    rmeden Member ✭✭
    I've noticed the same thing. Confirming a downloaded transaction takes 2-4 seconds. The qcleanui process seems to be for application install issues. I believe the issue is deeper... I assume quicken is using some database internally, and the problem is with indexes or maybe joints between tables? Myabe core design?

I've been a quicken user for decades (I see some transactions from 1993!) I just looked at the size of my data file 356M! That seems a bit large. Yes, I have a ton of transactions, but each one should only be 200 bytes or less. I've never used the quicken functions to store receipts or other images.

Even with 356M, I have a lot of memory and SSD storage though, so speed probably shouldn't be that much of an issue. Developers need to test with bigger data sets. I bet there are lots of decades-old customers.

I remember at one point, Quicken suggested creating new data files ever year. That defeats the purpose of Quicken IMHO... my life is in that data.. I can search to see when stuff happened!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3
    I have found that I can speed up QWin a bit by applying a few Windows 10 tweaks.
    1. Go into Windows Graphics Settings and set Quicken Windows to high performance. Also enable hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling if that option is available.
    2. Free QWin from scrutiny by Windows Defender. I find my Antimalware process goes nuts consuming CPU when Quicken runs. I set Defender to ignore all the folders that Quicken uses as well as the 2 Quicken processes themselves..
    3. Up Quicken's priority in the task scheduler. This involves starting QWin from a command line with the /abovenormal switch. My taskbar shortcut uses this command:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe /c start "Quicken" /abovenormal "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe"
    I would be interested to learn whether these hacks help anyone else. And feel free to write back if you have questions about this.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • rmeden
    rmeden Member ✭✭
    Just tried it.. seems a little faster, 3 seconds to enter a transaction vs 5 or so. Certainly not acceptable.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Has been slooooow for a long time.... hasn't been fixed by Quicken.... Quicken is the only Slooooow running software on both my computers.  
    Windows 10 and Windows 11 (separate computers)..... Quicken Premier 20+ year user
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    rmeden said:
    Just tried it.. seems a little faster, 3 seconds to enter a transaction vs 5 or so. Certainly not acceptable.
    Is this for investment transactions or non-investment transactions?
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    You can try this:

Make a Backup 1st in case

File Menu/Copy or Backup File
    Click Create a Copy or Template
    HOLD DOWN CTRL AND SHIFT KEY And Click Next
    Yes on Ignore Errors (If you didn't get that screen you didn't have CTRL/Shift so try again}
    Enter the Name of New Copy to Use

If all works (this is an old procedure that they may not keep supporting to keep online connections and do a copy by record to rebuild the file and hopefully correct some errors. If you use SYNC, you should reset cloud also.

If new file is better STAY on it

• rmeden
    rmeden Member ✭✭
    Initial results on the file copy are encouraging.... entering a transfer transaction on the old file took 8 seconds, 2 seconds on the copy. I'll look into re-connecting all my accounts.
  • rmeden
    rmeden Member ✭✭
    Thanks @miklk after doing the copy and reconnecting all my accounts, everything is about 2 seconds per entry. Not fast, but not terrible.
This discussion has been closed.