Using an iWatch Series 7 to unlock a Quicken file

Park
Park Member ✭✭
I've just upgraded to v.6.6 on a Mac with Catalina 10.15.7. I went to the Security tab but there is no option "Allow Apple Watch to unlock this file." I've read posts from a few other folk who loved this option. Am I missing a step somewhere to get that option to display? Appreciate the help, Park

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    First off, you have to have a password on your Quicken file before it will give you the option to unlock with the watch (or Touch ID). So if you haven't set up a password yet, do that.

Second, you have to be wearing the watch to get the watch option in Quicken preferences; if you're not wearing it, it won't display it. And IIRC, you have to be wearing it when you launch the app - putting it on after Quicken is already running doesn't work. (edit: You don't have to be wearing the watch when Quicken starts, but if you put it on while you're looking at the Security tab in preferences the tab doesn't update, so after putting on the watch you have to switch to a different tab & then back to Security & then the Watch option will appear.)

And I haven't verified this, but I suspect (edit: i confirmed this is the case) If you don't have your Mac set up to be unlocked with the watch you won't be able to unlock Quicken with it either. In System Preferences under Security & Privacy, the option on the General tab reads "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac", so make sure that is checked.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Park,

Thank you for contacting the Community, I understand that this can be frustrating. 

I have located a couple of discussion threads between other users, one where the user was experiencing the same issue as you and found a resolution, another where different users are discussing the features of unlocking the Quicken file with an Apple Watch and they go into some detail on the matter. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909218/apple-watch-unlock-available-on-mac-that-doesnt-have-touch-id-but-didnt-work-at-first

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20245889#Comment_20245889

I hope you find these to be of use. 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    First off, you have to have a password on your Quicken file before it will give you the option to unlock with the watch (or Touch ID). So if you haven't set up a password yet, do that.

Second, you have to be wearing the watch to get the watch option in Quicken preferences; if you're not wearing it, it won't display it. And IIRC, you have to be wearing it when you launch the app - putting it on after Quicken is already running doesn't work. (edit: You don't have to be wearing the watch when Quicken starts, but if you put it on while you're looking at the Security tab in preferences the tab doesn't update, so after putting on the watch you have to switch to a different tab & then back to Security & then the Watch option will appear.)

And I haven't verified this, but I suspect (edit: i confirmed this is the case) If you don't have your Mac set up to be unlocked with the watch you won't be able to unlock Quicken with it either. In System Preferences under Security & Privacy, the option on the General tab reads "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac", so make sure that is checked.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Park
    Park Member ✭✭
    Jon & Jasmine: Jasmine-Tnx. for the links but I got a "Permission" error when I clicked on each. Jon: I found my answer in ur 3rd paragraph. That was a setting I had not checked b4 ur comments. I did get farther with loading with the unlock box checked but it took me to a screen requiring me to use Touch ID which is what I do on a normal daily basis now. Unfortunately, my Touch ID on my Mac Air is not working so I think in my particular case I'm not going to be able to use this iWatch feature. Thank you both for your quick replies!!
This discussion has been closed.