Problem reconciling a new checking account

citizendave19
citizendave19 Member ✭✭
I recently opened a new account. All entries were entered manually. When I reconciled my first statement I entered the starting balance, the closing balance and the closing date on the statement. When I was finished all the entries displayed were checked as cleared but it showed I had a large negative balance. I assume this was because mailed checks had cleared after the statement ending date. I clicked Done and choose the option to continue later, assuming there was no way to clear any transaction after that date. When the next statement came I wasn't able to continue. The only option available was to make an "adjustment" to the balance by just adding. in the difference. I'm apparently unable to finish without removing this. How do I proceed?

Answers

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Instead of clicking done when you have a major error such as your large negative balance, just click the "cancel" button. I don't remember the exact wording but you will be asked to confirm the cancellation and reminded that all of your reconciliation entries will not be saved. When you confirm, all of the entries you have marked as reconciled will be undone and your registry will then return to normal and you can then start a new reconcile.

If the starting balance and ending balance in your reconcile window are correct, and the ending date of your bank statement is entered correctly, then you. should be able to reconcile with no problem. I'm not sure what you did about "mailed checks that cleared after the statement ending date." Unless you selected them in your reconcile window they should have no bearing on your reconcile balance because they wouldn't appear on your bank statement. When reconciling, only select the registry entries that appear on your bank statement. Cancel the reconciliation and then start a new reconciliation using the previous statement where you experienced problems. You can then start next month's reconciliation.

without actually viewing your reconciliation screen I am just guessing what you might have done incorrectly.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @citizendave19,

Thank you for contacting the Community, I am sorry to hear that this occurred. 

I recommend restoring from a backup that was created before you completed the reconciling procedure. You can do this by:
    1. In Quicken, select File > Restore from Backup...
    2. Browse your computer or external media to find the backup file you want to restore. The Quicken backup file has the extension .quicken2017backup or .quickenbackup.
    3. Select the file to restore.
    4. Click Choose.
    I have also included a link to the support article that discusses saving backups and restoring backups in more detail:

https://www.quicken.com/support/mac/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.