Account Grouping - for multiple single account 529 funds

baxterdale
baxterdale Member ✭✭
This question is a result of trying to handle my 529 accounts for 3 boys.
I use Capital Group - American Funds for 529's.
The problem is that they have active accounts that can be zero value. To be able to track the transaction I was told to set up an account for each account. In reality this turns out to be 9 accounts for each boy (27 accounts) - unfortunately when setting up the online connection they find 32 accounts for each boy (96 accounts) - so now I end up with many zero value accounts (that I guess could potentially be used).

I have looked for some type of ability to build a Grouping on top of the Accounts - so that the accounts could be collapsed/expanded. This doesn't seem possible?

Is there a dynamic way to only show investment accounts (type) that have a value > zero - here I don't want to explicitly hide; I want a business rule that checks?

As you can see my account list is quite bloated. Maybe sub type to Investing could be created ? then used to organize as one sees fit

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is shortsighted and counterproductive that your financial institution requires a structure of one Quicken account per fund. That’s on them. 

You have the option to rename the accounts as you wish. You might start each account with the boy’s name or initials, for example. 

You also have options for the inactive accounts:
    Mark as Hidden
    Mark as Keep separate
    Rename so they group to the bottom

In the investment portfolio views (Ctrl-u), you can customize views to accounts specific to each child. 
  • baxterdale
    baxterdale Member ✭✭
    Yes I agree with your initial remark. They should offer to build accounts by named for benefit of (boy) and subordinate to that they should have investments.

My screen shot does not show it; but I did organize the active accounts using my boys name. I tried to keep the same financial product first then an initials of each boy next. This does help, but it might be better to organize by name first; getting each boys account together.

Mark as Hidden - can I do this for all 529 accounts? will the downloading still work? Then I could go to investment portfolio view when needing to review.

Thanks for your remarks was helpful
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I agree with your initial remark. They should offer to build accounts by named for benefit of (boy) and subordinate to that they should have investments.

My screen shot does not show it; but I did organize the active accounts using my boys name. I tried to keep the same financial product first then an initials of each boy next. This does help, but it might be better to organize by name first; getting each boys account together.

Mark as Hidden - can I do this for all 529 accounts? will the downloading still work? Then I could go to investment portfolio view when needing to review.

Thanks for your remarks was helpful
    The update will still work.  You will need a couple more clicks to get to the, but that is about it:

Note that you will still have to go to the register to accept the downloaded transactions, you can't do that part from the Portfolio view.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • baxterdale
    baxterdale Member ✭✭
    Hello Chris, I have read other posts you have made, they are very good and I recall using some of your utilities. I am using the Hidden Accounts feature within Q to achieve what we discuss above. I have ~ 500 accounts. Trying to use this is very tedious, as it updates the hidden to true there is quite a delay and often the screen list jumps around; making it a painful to try and tick on 75 account checkboxes to true. Is there a way to download this and then pass it into an api? Just wondering
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the fact that that list jumps around as you use it is a royal pain.  But it does still then to be better than going through the account details for each account.

Quicken Inc doesn’t provide any kind of APIs to automate things like this.
    Signature:
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, I'd be looking for another provider for these 529 accounts.  Any provider that is SO user unfriendly is simply not deserving of my (or anyone's) business.
    As this progresses ... I suspect that you're going to end up with literally 529 accounts in Q.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Chris, I have read other posts you have made, they are very good and I recall using some of your utilities. I am using the Hidden Accounts feature within Q to achieve what we discuss above. I have ~ 500 accounts. Trying to use this is very tedious, as it updates the hidden to true there is quite a delay and often the screen list jumps around; making it a painful to try and tick on 75 account checkboxes to true. Is there a way to download this and then pass it into an api? Just wondering
    Since you mention that you have about 500 accounts I hope you are aware of the number of accounts limitation (512) according to this article:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.