Opening balance lines keep disappearing, causing account totals to be incorrect

Hi all,

Since about March 9, 2022 I have been having a problem with the opening balance lines of some of my accounts disappearing, generally when I update my accounts. This causes the account totals to become incorrect. I spent two hours on the phone with Quicken tech support, but they didn't fix the issue. Can anyone help me with this?

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @spencer195,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please explain which troubleshooting measures have already been tried with support so as to avoid repeating those steps?

In the meantime, do you have a recent backup you can restore? To start with, I suggest restoring a backup file to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file. If needed, please, review this support article. Scroll down and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• spencer195
    spencer195 Member
    Hello,

I don't remember precisely all the steps I went through with tech support, but it involved restoring a file from January, the disconnecting and reconnecting the problematic accounts. I tried restoring from backups but I still had the problem.

Thanks!
    spencer195
  • Quicken Anja
    edited March 2022
    Thank you for following up and providing additional information, though I apologize for the delay in my response.

Next, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

-Quicken Anja

• spencer195
    spencer195 Member
    Hi,

I tried validating and super validating the file, but the issue persists. Also, since approximately March 15 2022, not only are opening balance lines disappearing, but an incorrect opening balance was written into one of my PayPal accounts. And since approximately March 9, only one of my PayPal accounts will update when I do a one-step update. None of my other checking, savings, credit card, or student loan accounts will update.

Thanks for taking a look at this issue.

-spencer195
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for the additional information, though I apologize that the issue persists.

Next, I suggest that you restore a backup that was saved prior to this issue occurring and turn off mobile sync to see if that may help. 

Once you've restored the backup, please follow the instructions provided below.

1. Navigate to Edit 
    2. Preferences
    3. Mobile & Web
    4. Turn Sync OFF. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

• spencer195
    spencer195 Member
    Hi,

I restored a backup from January 27, 2022 and at first everything looked okay (the opening balances were there and the account totals were correct). However, once I synced to the Quicken cloud and turned off mobile sync, the opening balances were gone and the account balances were incorrect again.

Thanks,
    spencer195
  • spencer195
    spencer195 Member
    I started a new file from scratch and I didn't encounter this problem anymore. Apparently, an update to the software introduced some bugs and possibly corrupted the data file.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for following up.

If you wish to keep your history, and as you said the issue started in the restored backup after syncing to the Quicken Cloud, then I would suggest restoring another backup and turning off Cloud Sync before it has a chance to sync to the Quicken Cloud.

However, since you did mention having started a new file; if you are comfortable with starting from scratch and moving forward with that new file, you can most certainly do so as well.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.