Why would I renew my Deluxe subscription for $51.99 when I can buy a new one from Staple for$31.99?

rgersh
rgersh Member
edited May 2022 in Before you Buy
Why would I renew my Deluxe subscription for $51.99 when I can buy a new one from Staple for$31.99?

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    That's probably the New User version. You would need to create a new Quicken ID/password to use it.

My bad, I just checked Staples and it looks like the full version. 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The retail copies, when discounted like this, are generally teaser prices to entice people to get aboard the Quicken platform. Increasingly, retail packages are marked as being only for new subscribers, so that annual renewals must be done at full price directly with Quicken. But there are still some retail packages without the new customer requirement, and those represent a solid deal versus paying Quicken full price.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    From https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-manage-my-quicken-subscription
    A membership can only be extended in the last six months of a subscription term. You can extend a subscription term by redeeming an activation code in a retail copy. However, this also can only be done in the last six months of your current subscription term. Therefore, multiple terms cannot be purchased and used at once to extend a membership. Retail purchases: Activation codes expire 24 months after being generated.
    If the activation code happens to expire before you extend your membership, you will be wasting $32.
  • jacobs
    Sherlock said:
    If the activation code happens to expire before you extend your membership, you will be wasting $32.
    What's worse, the activation codes are inside the box, and you can't tell from the outside when the activation code will expire. In theory, Staples should make good on it if you buy a copy and Quicken tells you it has an expired activation code. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    Sherlock said:
    What's worse, the activation codes are inside the box, and you can't tell from the outside when the activation code will expire. In theory, Staples should make good on it if you buy a copy and Quicken tells you it has an expired activation code. 
    You can get refund from Quicken within 30 days of purchase.  

The issue is the activation code needs to still be valid when you are within six months of your subscription expiring and you need to remember to apply the extension.  
  • DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    If you are fortunate enough to come across a 2018 version of quicken for a reasonable price, the activation codes in that version do not expire. Especially good if you find a 2 year version.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    DaisyDoo said: 2018 version of quicken, the activation codes in that version do not expire.
    I thought that all subscription versions had activation date of 2 years - It would be a $32 gamble -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    DaisyDoo said:
    If you are fortunate enough to come across a 2018 version of quicken for a reasonable price, the activation codes in that version do not expire. Especially good if you find a 2 year version.
    That was true back when they first implemented expiration dates on codes. However, it's possible they may have inactivated all codes from that time period, since it's more than four years old, and no legitimate reseller should be selling such old packages. If you find one at a retailer like Stapes or Best Buy, you could try it because they should stand behind it if it doesn't work (although it may not be worth the hassle of potentially needing to return it and buy another one to save $20); if you're buying from eBay, then it's areal crap shoot. 
This discussion has been closed.