Quicken recognizing BMO chequing account as a Credit account

Options
goosion
goosion Member ✭✭
All solutions I can find regarding changing the account type do not work because that option is not active in the software.

Is there a way to fix this?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    goosion said:
    All solutions I can find regarding changing the account type do not work because that option is not active in the software.

Is there a way to fix this?
    Hello @goosion,   

I am sorry to hear about this issue with account types being confused. Thank you for taking the time to talk with us about this problem here on the Quicken Community.

I want to be sure I understand what is happening. Are you seeing transactions downloaded from a credit account into your checking account? When you see a list of your accounts with BMO in the Add Account pop up, are you noticing that accounts are being misclassified? Double check your account numbers in Quicken by selecting your accounts from the Account List in the left-hand panel of the Quicken window and then navigate to Accounts > Settings > Downloads.

I look forward to hearing more from you about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • goosion
    goosion Member ✭✭
    Options
    Under add account when I select BMO and enter my checking account information it displays the correct account and even names it CHEQUING XXXXX , it just gets classified under "credit", and it shows what is actually a positive balance in a checking account as a negative balance in a credit account.

I think the problem stems from the fact that the Debit card used to log into the BMO checking account and thus associated with the Login ID of the BMO account is a "BMO Debit Mastercard" and the fact that it is a Mastercard is causing the account to be misinterpreted as a credit account even though its just Debit Card.
  • goosion
    goosion Member ✭✭
    Options
    The add account popup for BMO just asks for my BMO user ID and password for my account. I enter the Debit Card number and my password (same I use for online banking) and it imports the Chequing account, even naming it Chequing, while being misclassified as Credit.
  • richardbrazeau
    Options
    I have the same issue
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @goosion & @richardbrazeau,

Thank you both for taking the time to visit the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you don't mind, I'd like to have you both create a new (test) file to see if you experience the same issue in a new file as well. 

Follow the steps below to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    2. Select New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to easily be able to tell it apart from your main file. Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for WindowsDon't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.
    5. Sign in with your Quicken ID (if prompted). If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 
    6. Select to not use Mobile (if prompted).
    7. Click Add Account to try adding the account in question experiencing this issue.

After adding the account, see if you are experiencing the same problem in this test file. From there, you can then switch back to your original file. 

Follow the steps below to switch files:

1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.