Buying subscription for a non-profit

Gustogal
Gustogal Member
I am a long time Quicken user, and as treasurer I have been using it for three years to track our finances. I use categories and tags to keep it current with our budget. The time has come to pass this work on to another user, so we are going to buy a subscription for our club. Is there any way once the new treasurer installs the software for me to transfer to that version all the categories and tags I've been using, or will we need to duplicate these manually? Also is there a way to backup just one account to a file so it can be transferred? Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    All that should need to happen is the Quicken ID associated with the Quicken file be reset to the club's Quicken ID.  If you want you may sign out before handing the Quicken file over and Quicken will prompt for a Quicken ID when the file is subsequently opened by the new treasurer.
    1. Select Edit > Preferences...
    2. Select Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    3. Select Sign in as a different user
    4. Enter yes 
    5. Select Sign Out

Regarding way to backup just one account to a file, we may export an account register to a QIF file and import the QIF file into another Quicken file.  If you haven't already, you may want to review:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-export-data-quicken
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-import-data-quicken-windows
     FAQ: How to Import QIF Files Into Non-cash Accounts, post-Q2004
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @gustogal, you ask about backing up a single account to a file.  Does that mean that the finances for the club are in the same Q data file as your personal finances? They shouldn't be.  The club should have it's own separate file. Before we go any further, please respond to this.
    Also, is the club incorporated, and have it's own tax IRS tax status?  You state "non-profit", but there are several IRS definitions for that.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Gustogal
    Gustogal Member
    Hello, it's listed under accounts "Separate" and I back up as a single file. And yes, it has its own IRS tax status.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It isn't possible to backup a single account.  It's the entire file, or nothing.
    What you CAN do, however, is COPY the file your existing file and then delete all of the personal accounts in the file, leaving only the non-profit.
    Be CAREFUL of those deletions and resolve any transactions between your accounts and the non-profit first ... as deleting such transfers will delete them on both sides.  Also take a backup of the copied file 1st.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.