Reconciliation/Sidebar Balances

scarosteve
scarosteve Member ✭✭
I have personally disliked the exclusion of future transactions from reconciliation. Now, it seems that no future transactions are posted either to the recon or to the balances shown in the sidebar.

I suppose it is a matter of the way I've used quicken for the past 25 years, but it makes things really messy for me. Is there any way to simply have all transactions post in balances shown for all purposes? An obscure setting I could tweak, perhaps?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    A reconciliation is, by definition, a comparison of your Q records to the bank's records. And future dated  transactions can't possibly be included in the banks records.
    So, why would you want them included in your reconciliation?
    re: the Account Bar amounts ... right click the word "All Transactions" at the top of that Account Bar, and select  "Show ending balance in Account Bar"

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• scarosteve
    scarosteve Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your help - apparently the last update changed the sidebar preference - I changed it to ending balance and things match up for me again.

As to the recon, I follow my spending through the lens of everything I have committed to, both present and future. So, when I have scheduled a credit card payment for next month, for example, I would like to see my balances net of that payment, and I would simply prefer that it be included for reconcilement. It was that way for the majority of the years I have used the software. I would wish for a preference setting that would allow me to see it that way again.

Since I download pretty much every day from the bank and reconcile, the paper statement is now pretty much irrelevant.

Thanks again.
  • scarosteve
    scarosteve Member ✭✭
    One more thing - What i am basically trying to do is reconcile to today's balance - the last update just makes it difficult for me because of transfers between accounts that are now shown on differing dates. I will likely look for another program that works the way I need it to (The way Quicken used to work). Thanks.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BUT, that credit card payment can't possibly appear in the bank's statement ... so how can it possibly be involved in the reconciliation?  Again, to reconcile is "to compare" and if it's not on the statement, you can't compare it.

• scarosteve
    scarosteve Member ✭✭
    I am looking at how much I have/owe in a particular account and accruing any future scheduled activity for a net balance.

As said, quicken used to accommodate this, and it no longer does so.
  • scarosteve
    scarosteve Member ✭✭
    And - remember that I am reconciling to todays electronic balance, not a paper statement. I suspect there may be a few more of us that do this than you might think.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    And - remember that I am reconciling to todays electronic balance, not a paper statement. I suspect there may be a few more of us that do this than you might think.
    I reconcile to the online balance, and the statement still applies.  Future transactions shouldn't be included in any reconcile because they have yet to clear your financial institution.  Note you shouldn't be reconciling pending transactions.

My gripe with the way reconcile works is basically the opposite.  Currently the "Cleared Balance" includes future transactions (ones past the statement ending date entered) when it shouldn't.  This means that one can't reconcile past periods to fill in old transactions.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • scarosteve
    scarosteve Member ✭✭
    To each his own, at least for those of us that are not accountants….😊
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, your future dated transaction isn't included in the bank's Online balance either.  A cada, wrongo!

• scarosteve
    scarosteve Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    All I know is it worked great for me until they changed it. [Removed - Solicitation]

Thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    All I know is it worked great for me until they changed it. [Removed - Solicitation]

Thanks.
    This change happened many years ago (rough guess is at least back to Quicken 2015).  Is it that you are just now getting around to complaining about it, or is maybe a different problem?

People have lately reported problems with the Online Balance not being up to date with Express Web Connect accounts, which can cause problems, and if the posting dates are wrong, that can cause problems too.
    Signature:
  • scarosteve
    scarosteve Member ✭✭
    Not intended as a complaint - just would like an option for all transactions to appear. I realize that the issue may be unique to the way I use the program.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Not intended as a complaint - just would like an option for all transactions to appear. I realize that the issue may be unique to the way I use the program.
    In that case I suggest that you submit an Idea so that people can vote on it.  That is how Quicken Inc is taking suggestions.

Go to the Home page and select New Post -> New Idea.

Note, be sure to state it as you want it to be optional, since you would certainly get negative feedback if it was to change the current behavior.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.