Changed Bank account number

I am running Quicken Premier and Win 10. My bank changed account number and trying to relink to existing account . I deactivated , then re activated the account . Once it re loaded the transactions my ending balance was off by a considerable amount . I could always put a place holder , however my old bank account in Quicken was accurate . Any suggestions ? Thank you

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you re-activated, the bank may have downloaded transactions that you have already accepted. Sometimes these duplicates go back several months. If this is the case, you will have to go through your register and delete the duplicates.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could have also changed the Opening Balance, this has been happening recently with Express Web Connect re-activations.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Thank you Jim & splasher for your comments. I thought it could be duplicates or an opening balance. I did not go thru one by one transaction yet. Just wish since its the same bank , transactions would not duplicate
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restore a recent backup (changing the name as you restore) and look to see what the OB was, it is the easiest thing to check.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Hi not sure what you mean by QB ? I did restore a backup I made earlier today.
  • Jim_Harman
    OB = Opening Balance, the amount in what is usually the oldest transaction in the account, with a Payee of "Opening Balance."  This is a special transaction that is created when you first set up the account. 

For unknown reasons, Quicken sometimes messes with this when you re-activate an account. Perhaps it is trying to be helpful by forcing the current balance to equal the downloaded online balance.
  • jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Jim when I downloaded to sync the new bank account number my opening balance went back to August 3 2009. When I checked my backup file with old account number as of that date there is the difference in the balance. I guess the easy solution would be to go back in the new data file to the 8 3 2009 date and create a transaction correcting the opening balance for the amount of the difference ?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim when I downloaded to sync the new bank account number my opening balance went back to August 3 2009. When I checked my backup file with old account number as of that date there is the difference in the balance. I guess the easy solution would be to go back in the new data file to the 8 3 2009 date and create a transaction correcting the opening balance for the amount of the difference ?
    I don't know what came over the programmers when they started fiddling around with an account's Opening Blance transaction ... once set, nothing and nobody should ever change this transaction!
    The easiest for you is to directly edit the 8/3/2009 Opening Balance transaction and input the correct amount.
    While you're doing this, some community users recommend to also add a Memo text with the correct amount. Should Quicken, in its infinite wisdom, decide to change the Opening Balance transaction again, you have a record of the correct amount and can fix it again ... until such time the Quicken programmers get around to fixing this issue.

• jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Thank you . Another solution (I have never done this before) would be to copy the transactions I had prior to 8/3/2009 . I assume there is a way to print from old saved file with correct bank account data into the new file I created ?
  • Jim_Harman
    You can copy transactions between accounts in a Quicken file, but there is no easy way to copy transactions from one data file to another. If your only problem is with the account's opening balance, it would be much easier to simply edit the opening balance transaction as @UKR recommends.
This discussion has been closed.