Is R40.21 safe to install?

Options
2»

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @retird Just to be clear, them posting the Mondo patch doesn't constitute the "official release".
    They need to post that for two reasons.

1. A person might have it automatically installed on one machine, and as such they might want to bring all of the machines that might use a copy of that data file up to the same version.
    2. At times in the forum, they might suggest to a person that the patch might fix this or that problem they are complaining about, and if they want to they can get the patch even though they aren't one of the previous "limited users" to get it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    @retird Just to be clear, them posting the Mondo patch doesn't constitute the "official release".
    They need to post that for two reasons.

1. A person might have it automatically installed on one machine, and as such they might want to bring all of the machines that might use a copy of that data file up to the same version.
    2. At times in the forum, they might suggest to a person that the patch might fix this or that problem they are complaining about, and if they want to they can get the patch even though they aren't one of the previous "limited users" to get it.
    I suppose the question is what do we mean by an official release.  In my opinion, a staged release is an official release even if the release is only ever gamma tested.  The one-off patches Quicken sometimes provides to determine if they've resolved an issue are what I might refer to as an unofficial release.  I would not expect these one-off patches to be generally available on the Quicken support pages.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, determining what is "official" and what isn't is far from straightforward when dealing with the Quicken Windows releases.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, what should we call "non stagged releases"?

Official isn't correct, because anything that is sent out whether it makes it to the Mondo patch page or not is "official".
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    Yeah, determining what is "official" and what isn't is far from straightforward when dealing with the Quicken Windows releases.
    Chris_QPW said:
    So, what should we call "non stagged releases"?

Official isn't correct, because anything that is sent out whether it makes it to the Mondo patch page or not is "official".
    In my opinion, the release on the Mondo patch page is an official release.  It's just a question of whether the release has successfully passed gamma testing. 

Note: Even if the release has been made available to all users, we still evaluate the recent issues being posted in the community when we consider upgrading.  For example, we didn't upgrade from R36.28 until after R39.23 passed gamma testing because we didn't think any of the releases between them were safe based on the way we use Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, in a way it doesn't matter what "state" it is in, it always a best guess on the part of the user.

That is why asking if it is safe to install really has no good answer.
    Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So after all the banter is seems to me there is no real definition of an "official release" with criteria to afford or assure the safeness of installing it.  Reinforces my process of maintaining separate files (and file names) accessing my financial accounts on 2 separate computers. Installing an update on one computer won't effect the other one. If an update works well on one computer for a while then I update the other computer.  This got me thru the Schwab conversion.... Probably will update one computer to R40.21 in a week or two and see what shakes out.... (one computer WIN 10  and the other WIN 11)

Curious @Chris_QPW and @Sherlock how many accounts, what type of accounts, connection method to the accounts, and how many off line accounts are in your data file?  When installing a Q update do either of you ever have any issues? 

My list:
    8 accounts, 3 of these are off-line accounts, and the rest are either EWC or EWC+ connection method.  The off-line accounts (institutions) don't utilize Quicken but wished they did.... and yes I adore the Quicken Vault..... and 2 factor authentication...

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never have had any install problems.  My machines use Windows Defender, and no other "security programs".

All my online accounts are Direct Connect with the exception of my wife's 401K which is Web Connect only.  Since the beginning of the year, I have consolidated my financial institutions.  I used to have accounts with USAA, Fidelity, and Vanguard (all Direct Connect). They are all closed now, and I have only Chase and Citi Cards.  For Chase it is actually three logins.  One for banking, and two for investment accounts (one for my wife's IRAs).
    That gives a current total of 9 Direct Connect and 1 Web Connect.

Potential online accounts with Express Web Connect, 2.  One is a savings account that pays better interest with Synchrony but has a terrible history of having problems.  It is mostly just a monthly interest deposit, so I do it manually.  My wife has a Macy's card that she like for discounts, but seldom uses.  In that case I don't even include it in Quicken.  It is setup for automatic payment like all my credit cards are (and most of my bills).

I kept the two Express Web Connect accounts linked until they finally killed of the FDS connection method at the beginning of the year.  I don't like the new method and given the "standard problems" with Express Web Connect I just decided to handle them the way I described above.

The truth is though even without the problems, the time taken to do Express Web Connect every time I do One Step Update was pretty much just wasted time since there were very few transactions to download.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    retird said:
    So after all the banter is seems to me there is no real definition of an "official release" with criteria to afford or assure the safeness of installing it.  Reinforces my process of maintaining separate files (and file names) accessing my financial accounts on 2 separate computers. Installing an update on one computer won't effect the other one. If an update works well on one computer for a while then I update the other computer.  This got me thru the Schwab conversion.... Probably will update one computer to R40.21 in a week or two and see what shakes out.... (one computer WIN 10  and the other WIN 11)

Curious @Chris_QPW and @Sherlock how many accounts, what type of accounts, connection method to the accounts, and how many off line accounts are in your data file?  When installing a Q update do either of you ever have any issues? 

My list:
    8 accounts, 3 of these are off-line accounts, and the rest are either EWC or EWC+ connection method.  The off-line accounts (institutions) don't utilize Quicken but wished they did.... and yes I adore the Quicken Vault..... and 2 factor authentication...

At this time, our Quicken file has 87 accounts, 56 off-line, 22 Direct Connect across 8 institutions, 9 Web Connect across 4 institutions, no EWC or EWC+.  I don't recall having had any Quicken update installation issues.  I think the most important feature we rely on is backup and restore.  We backup and restore so frequently, I created a short cut for the restore.  Note: These days I've been maintaining a replica environment on a newer machine as the one we use for Quicken is now over 10 years old.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THX for the comments guys..

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    jr_ece said:
    Set your Windows User Account Control to "Notify Me When Apps try to make changes to my computer". Then you will get a prompt before Quicken tries to install an update, and you can opt out.
    Type User Account Control into the Windows search bar to find the setting.

@Roger Miller It is set. Quicken auto installed when I launched on May 5th. No way to stop it short of a 3 finger salute (ctrl+alt+del) and killing the thread. Didn't want to do that due to the risk of corrupting all of Quicken. Still cautiously optimistic.
    If you, have it set to "Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer" or "Always notify me when", like this:

Any install, including the one run automatically at start up should give you this prompt:

That's it and I get prompts on sw installs, but not on May 5th when I double clicked the Quicken icon and during launch it automatically updated to R40.21 without asking.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not worried about it at this point as R40.21 has seemingly caused no new any issues. Certainly nothing like the paycheck corruption that came with R39.17. Well, not that I've noticed.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @jr_ece That is strange!

To all: They just announced that R40.21 has been release to everyone.
    Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Yes I saw that it was released to everyone yesterday and got notification in Quicken to update.  I pondered biting the bullet and updating 1 of my computers instead of waiting a few more weeks.  I decided to update just 1 computer yesterday and the R40.21 update was installed. I then rebooted the computer and immediately went to Quicken to do an OSU. The OSU worked as usual and updated my accounts. Interesting that when approving the data a new issue now occured in the Schwab account.  Schwab has been working flawlessly as have all of my accounts.  I was able to address the issue and correct the conflicting data entry process that was not correct.  Will monitor this in future OSU's.  I then immediately went to my 2nd computer. I had not updated it to R40.21 (and will not update it at this time).  I also did an OSU on the 2nd computer and had NO ISSUE with any account including the Schwab account.

On first glance I noticed on the computer I updated to R40.21 that loading the file upon startup was much faster as it had degraded from past Quicken updates. This degradation was still present on the computer that was not updated to R40.21. Both computers have super fast SSD drives.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I consider the "official" release to be whatever is posted in Help/Check for Updates. I've had 40.21 there for the last 3-4 days.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mrzookie said:
    I consider the "official" release to be whatever is posted in Help/Check for Updates. I've had 40.21 there for the last 3-4 days.
    I have noticed that the moderators lack somewhat behind in updating the notice from when it is really released to all users.
    Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Options
    So far after my update of 1 computer to 40.21 I had a error message that the bank could not connect so I waited a few hours and tried again and it worked.  The bank was doing some updates to their system. Glad to know that.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FWIW, I've been running 40.21 for about 3 days on my WIN 11 Home laptop with no issues. Note that I don't use Bill Pay or Mobile/Web service, but I do use most others.
This discussion has been closed.