One Step Update generates bogus balances

Options
Suntu
Suntu Member ✭✭
One Step Update generates bogus balances. Reconcile does NOT work.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the online balance Quicken obtained from the financial institution is unreliable, I suggest reconciling using a statement.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The reason why you are not reconciling with your bank's balance, and it comes back saying that there are no items to reconcile is that you may have marked some items as reconciled (R) that shouldn't have been.  All it's really saying is that you don't have any transactions that are not marked reconciled (R), therefore reconciliation is moot.  If you remove the (R) from those items that are not truly reconciled, you should be able to get the reconciliation window, which will then help you reconcile.  At this point I would compare your transitions from your online bank account, or statements, with Quicken manually to find your difference or items that should not be marked as reconciled.
  • Suntu
    Suntu Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I did not reconcile anything. It is checked in the program to reconcile. It does NOT. See screenshots. This is the 3rd computer today with Quicken errors. When I deactivate then reactivate on one computer, I see issues on the next. All 3 computers experience Quicken errors. Vicious cycle.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I, for one, can't read your screen shots because too much is being shown.  See if you can trim them down to just the smaller window.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Damian Your thorough explanations are refreshing and helpful!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NotACPA said:
    I, for one, can't read your screen shots because too much is being shown.  See if you can trim them down to just the smaller window.
    I don't have any difficulty reading the screenshots.  The transactions appear to be marked as reconciled including multiple balance adjustment transactions and the online balance doesn't match.

Based on the comments, I'd say Reconcile using online balance is checked and, when reconciling, a balance adjustment is being accepted.

@Suntu: If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/reconciling-account-quicken-windows
  • Suntu
    Suntu Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for responding. I'm using a 4K computer. Sorry you can't read the screenshots. Don't know how to make it so you can.
  • Suntu
    Suntu Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken is installed on 3 home computers. Each time I use one I must deactivate, validate then activate all 9 credit union accounts because of CC-800 messages, banking not updating, or red circles with red slash marks. How do I stop the insanity? These issues have been chronic for over a month. Quicken support has be doe the same procedures each time I call. They do not resolve the problem.
  • Suntu
    Suntu Member ✭✭
    Options
    Reconcile does NOT work. See attached.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Suntu said:
    Quicken is installed on 3 home computers. Each time I use one I must deactivate, validate then activate all 9 credit union accounts because of CC-800 messages, banking not updating, or red circles with red slash marks. How do I stop the insanity? These issues have been chronic for over a month. Quicken support has be doe the same procedures each time I call. They do not resolve the problem.
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/error-message-when-updating-accounts-cc-800

Suntu said:
    Reconcile does NOT work. See attached.
    Reconcile appears to be working fine.  Again, if you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/reconciling-account-quicken-windows
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @suntu - please remove confidential and personal information from your attachments.  You can do this by cropping your screen prints, or blocking out the information.  This is for your own privacy and safety.  Some of the attachments for your previous posts have been removed, but not all.  This Quicken Community forum of Quicken users is not private.  Anyone (not just Quicken users) with an internet connection would be able to see the personal and confidential information you are providing.  
  • Suntu
    Suntu Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sherlock, thank you for the reference. It is the methodology I am using. It does NOT resolve the chronic problem.
  • Suntu
    Suntu Member ✭✭
    Options
    Reconcile transactions are being doubled. Why? Had to delete duplicate transaction entries to get Online Balance and Ending Balance to match.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Suntu said:
    Sherlock, thank you for the reference. It is the methodology I am using. It does NOT resolve the chronic problem.
    The reference provides guidance to using multiple methodologies.  I've suggested you stop reconciling using the online balance because the online balance Quicken is obtaining appears to be unreliable. 

Suntu said:
    Reconcile transactions are being doubled. Why? Had to delete duplicate transaction entries to get Online Balance and Ending Balance to match.
    Again, the online balance appears to be unreliable.  You've added balance adjustments to the registers in failed attempts to reconcile to the unreliable online balances which produces unreliable running balances in the registers.
  • Suntu
    Suntu Member ✭✭
    Options
    ? online balance appears to be unreliable ? Seems I have to deactivate, validate then activate the credit union accounts frequently to get them to function.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Suntu said:
    ? online balance appears to be unreliable ? Seems I have to deactivate, validate then activate the credit union accounts frequently to get them to function.
    Hello @Suntu

I do apologize that there seem to be continuing problems with account balances. Thank you for keeping in communications with us about this matter. 

Where is your current active data file located? You can verify this by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen.

I await your answer eagerly.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Suntu said:
    unreliable: not able to be relied upon

Again, I suggest reconciling using a statement obtained from the financial institution.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @suntu - have you tried doing a "copy file"?  Those CC-800 errors and "red circles with red slash marks" usually happen after you restore a file.  I find that the "copy file" function will usually fix these errors. 

For more information and instructions, please click on the link:

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows   

In the article, click on "Copy and Validate Instructions".  Please note that the "File Copy" process disconnects all accounts from online services.  After the new file is created, you will need to reconnect all your accounts to online services.

Please make a backup of your data file before you start with this process.

This discussion has been closed.