Move a Quicken Data file to another computer?

Options
TTSguy
TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
I went through the You Tube tutorial on how to move the QDF file to another computer.
Some confusion though. If the file you want use is 2 versions down level 39.23, purposefully and the directions in the video say "both Computers should be at the same release level, then in another section they say the latest version should be loaded
my question is:

If I download Quicken to my second computer, won't it download the latest version automatically, in which case the 2 computers will be at different release levels, and I want to be sure to use 39.23, and not 40.21, because of issues.

How do I keep 1st computer at 39.23, and be sure the 2nd computer is downloaded to also 39.23 to keep them the same?

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As a policy Quicken Inc is going to tell you that you need all the computers at the same version level.  The truth is much more complicated.  Without have direct access and knowledge of all the innerworkings of Quicken and all the services it is next to impossible to know exactly when any given version of Quicken will introduce something that will make it incompatible with another version of Quicken.

For the most part this never happens but can't be guaranteed 100% and as such the policy.  But note that running at an older version of Quicken holds risks too.  Unless you are using Quicken in a completely standalone way, it is interacting with other systems that can change, and at some point, become incompatible.

As for how to get the new machine to the same level.  If this is an old install, then it is just a matter of blocking any version update you don't want (make sure the User Account Control settings are correct for this):

For a "new install" the best way would be to install with an old installer before the version you want, with the network disabled, so that you don't get a new version and then install the given Mondo patch to get the version you want.  As in, forward patch.  To a limited degree you can reverse patch say installing Mondo patch R39.23 on after installing and getting R40.21, but installers are made to be forward patching compatible, but don't guarantee going the other way.  Most of the times it works for close versions, sometimes not, just depends on what is in the different versions as far as changes go.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    To install Quicken R39.23 on the new computer, I suggest you download and install Quicken while disconnected from the internet: https://download.quicken.com/windows/Quicken.exe  Note: The version of the installation program is currently at R39.23.
    To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As a policy Quicken Inc is going to tell you that you need all the computers at the same version level.  The truth is much more complicated.  Without have direct access and knowledge of all the innerworkings of Quicken and all the services it is next to impossible to know exactly when any given version of Quicken will introduce something that will make it incompatible with another version of Quicken.

For the most part this never happens but can't be guaranteed 100% and as such the policy.  But note that running at an older version of Quicken holds risks too.  Unless you are using Quicken in a completely standalone way, it is interacting with other systems that can change, and at some point, become incompatible.

As for how to get the new machine to the same level.  If this is an old install, then it is just a matter of blocking any version update you don't want (make sure the User Account Control settings are correct for this):

For a "new install" the best way would be to install with an old installer before the version you want, with the network disabled, so that you don't get a new version and then install the given Mondo patch to get the version you want.  As in, forward patch.  To a limited degree you can reverse patch say installing Mondo patch R39.23 on after installing and getting R40.21, but installers are made to be forward patching compatible, but don't guarantee going the other way.  Most of the times it works for close versions, sometimes not, just depends on what is in the different versions as far as changes go.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    To install Quicken R39.23 on the new computer, I suggest you download and install Quicken while disconnected from the internet: https://download.quicken.com/windows/Quicken.exe  Note: The version of the installation program is currently at R39.23.
    To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).

This discussion has been closed.