Stand alone vs Subscription based - don't want my data in the Quicken Cloud

Options
Calllog
Calllog Unconfirmed, Member
edited June 2022 in Before you Buy
Can I buy a Stand alone vs Subscription based of Starter or Deluxe? Can it be downloaded?

Comments

• Calllog
    Calllog Unconfirmed, Member
    Options
    I don't want my Data on the network
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You're conflating two different things. Quicken is only sold as a subscription software product. But it is, as it has always been, desktop software. The program and your data live on your hard drive. You have an option of syncing your data to a cloud-based server to be able to access via a mobile app or web login, but many people (myself included) never turn that option on. 

You can purchase the software online, from Quicken.com, or from retailers like Amazon or Best Buy. Some retailers sell boxed copies, but in the end, you end up downloading the software in all cases. And in all cases, you're buying a subscription to use the software for a year. You must renew your subscription in order to use any connected services (such as downloading or importing transactions from your financial institutions and downloading daily prices of your investments) and continue to get new features and bug fixes.

If you don't renew your subscription, you can continue to use it by manually entering all your transactions. This is for Deluxe and Premier only; Starter becomes read-only if your subscription expires. Also, with an expired subscription, you lose about 20% of the right side of your screen to an annoying message encouraging you to renew your subscription.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no "stand alone".  There is nothing in subscription Quicken that requires that you have your data in the cloud.  The QMobile/Q-Web features are there to use if you so desire, but they are not mandatory.
    Personally, I do not use either QMobile, Q-Web, Quicken Billpay, Quicken Credit Score, Zello, etc.  I also do not use any Express Web Connect download connections, so NONE of my financial information is in Quicken's cloud.  I only do Direct Connect or Web Connect downloads.
    Quicken does create a Quicken Cloud Account for each Quicken data file, but if you don't use the above mentioned services, the only thing kept in the QCA is information about your subscription and your Quicken Id.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.