Merge unused bank accounts

Options
judyt1991
judyt1991 Member ✭✭
edited July 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I've used Quicken for our household expenses and income since the 1990's. I have bank and credit card accounts that we no longer use and would like to merge all the unused accounts into one I'd call something like "OLD ACCOUNTS". How do I do this? I have the Subscription Quicken Starter Edition.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If these accounts are unused, I would assume they have a zero balance. If that is the case, you can hide them.

Out of sight, out of mind.

If for some reason they still have balances and you do not want to track them any more, you could create an offline Old Accounts account and transfer the balances to that account, then hide the unused accounts. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • judyt1991
    judyt1991 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you. I do have all the old bank accounts and unused credit cards hidden. Just bugs me they clutter up my reports when I want to run by Account or when I want to select an account, there they are and I have to wade through to find the one I'm currently using. In Quickbooks (at my workplace) I can simply change the name of the Account to one that is currently being used and, voila!, the old account is gone and all the transactions show under the selected one. I want to see the transactions in reports, I just don't need them to show in the unused accounts. I can combine categories. I just want to combine all unused accounts into one that I create called "OLD Accounts". Much tidier and I do tend to be a minimalist in some things.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you are dead set on putting them all in a single account, see this FAQ: FAQ - Moving Transactions
    I believe that it would be important to somehow add something to each transaction so that you know which original account it was from.  You could do that by creating a Tag for each old account and add it to all the transactions in a given account.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    To remove the accounts from reports by default, mark them Separate in the Account Details Display Options tab. You can always change them back or explicitly include them in reports if you want.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • judyt1991
    judyt1991 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @splasher said:
    > If you are dead set on putting them all in a single account, see this FAQ: FAQ - Moving Transactions
    > I believe that it would be important to somehow add something to each transaction so that you know which original account it was from.  You could do that by creating a Tag for each old account and add it to all the transactions in a given account.

Thank you, I appreciate the suggestion. I don't care what bank account or credit card I was using back in 1995. I just need to know that I spend $125.85 for pet supplies at Petco. Doesn't matter if it was charged to a credit card that is no longer in existence or a bank account we haven't used in 25 years. I think I'm just fussing about something that's not terribly important.
  • [Deleted User]
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @judyt1991 - do a backup (or several) of your data file before you try moving transactions.  Moving reconciled transactions, or transfer transactions can be tricky.  The process will stop on every reconciled transaction or transfer transaction and ask you if really want to move it.  Like I said, it is every transaction, and if you inadvertently answer "no" or hit a wrong key, that transactions will either duplicate or not move at all.  Worse, hit a wrong key, and the whole process stops.  Either way you will end up with a mess. 
This discussion has been closed.