R41.9/R41.10 - lost ability to add date to backup file choosing different path (fixed R42.8)

marpler
marpler Member ✭✭
New to this Quicken version, I now cannot add a date to a backup file in already memorized file save places. First time through backup, if you select the top positioned "place" from the dropbox at Quicken Backup, you can. But any other dropbox selection greys out the date box. Is this designed or a bug? I routinely save multiple versions of the backup file and in one case I like to use the date options to NOT overwrite the original backup file. Please let me know if I must live with this change.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and reporting this bug, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

This bug has been confirmed internally and I have gone ahead and submitted a bug report for this to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution.

Unfortunately, we won't have an ETA on this. However, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future update release.

Thank you for your patience and for bringing awareness to this issue!
    (CTP-3925)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why you are experiencing issues with backup. The option still remains and in fact has been enhanced with now including a timestamp. 

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    I was able to recreate the problem.  This is VERY strange.
    @GeoffG, In your screenshot above, click on the path drop-down arrow and select whatever path is shown below it.  The "Add date to backup file name" becomes grayed out.  It gets worse: Now select and deselect the check box for "Also add time to name" and watch the path and file name change every time!
    I suggest that in Quicken, go to Help > Report a problem... so that this issue gets in the queue for review and resolution.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see this in R41.10 as well.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• marpler
    marpler Member ✭✭
    Thank you all for responding. I have sent the problem to the Quicken Help email as suggested.
  • I ran into this problem today. Normally backup on 3 drives. Was able to select the "Add Date" box on 1 drive, but not on the other 2.
  • CAPTJoe
    CAPTJoe Member
    Also having the same problem. I, too normally backup to 3 drives. I'm able to select the "Add Date" box on 1 drive, but not on the other 2. Same as above. This was not very well thought out!
  • Roger Miller
    Roger Miller Member ✭✭✭
    Well, I was going to install 41.10 today, but this is a deal breaker!
    QWin Premier user since 1997. QWin Premier subscription on Windows 10 & 11. I don't use mobile & web or bill pay.

• STEDES
    STEDES Member
    I just updated to R41.10 today and I now have the same issue. I cannot add date to my backups.
  • ramjack
    ramjack Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    When attempting to perform a second complete backup in the same Quicken session to a different backup device (I copy it to two different devices), the second attempt to copy to second device will not allow me to select the option that attaches the date to the file name. For some reason the check box is grayed out preventing me from selecting this option. During the first copy this issue is not a problem and works as designed.
  • pbarratt
    pbarratt Member
    I ran into the same problem, I worked around the problem by saving without the date first then I was allowed to save with the date.
  • tobiasonga
    tobiasonga Unconfirmed, Member
    I just updated to R41.10 today and I now have the same issue. I cannot add date to my 5 backups.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @ramjack

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file and then attempting to save the backup again. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• tobiasonga
    tobiasonga Unconfirmed, Member
    Having multiple issues around complete backup. Major issue is the button to add the date to filename is greyed out. I backup daily to 5 different fiIes. I was able to use it once immediately after a reboot of PC and then it failed on remaining attempts. After closing Quicken app following these multiple attempts at complete backups, Quicken wouldn't load again without a PC reboot.
    I did use pbarratt workaround and that prevented me from having to reboot PC.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ramjack
    ramjack Member ✭✭
    Went through Validate and Super Validate as you suggested. Problem still exists. This process of copying backup to two devices and appending current date to filename has been working for me for years. Problem showed up in the past week. Thanks for your help.
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Everybody working together to help with the problem and a workaround, that's GREAT!

It definitely started with R41.xx because I'm running R40.21.I do not have ability to select time stamp, but also am not having the problem!
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @ramjack

I do apologize for the miscommunication, as @Chris_QPW stated this is a known issue with our latest Quicken for Windows release. I have gone ahead and merged your thread with one that is discussing this same topic. 

If you could please send your information logs over to Quicken by navigating to Help > Report a Problem so we make look into the issue further, we would truly appreciate it. 

I do apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• Quicken Jasmine
    edited June 2022
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Jasmine said:  To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file
    It's not the data file - when it's reported by more than one person with different versions ---> it's the software....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Charles Gruenwald
    Charles Gruenwald Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Windows 10, Quicken Deluxe, R41.10 Build 27.1.41.10 new update fails to add correct date to each new backup file. This started immediately following the latest update.

Another issue with this new update is the failure of Quicken to close completely when Quicken is exited... it continues running in Windows Task Manager.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Windows 10, Quicken Deluxe, R41.10 Build 27.1.41.10 new update fails to add correct date to each new backup file. This started immediately following the latest update.

Another issue with this new update is the failure of Quicken to close completely when Quicken is exited... it continues running in Windows Task Manager.
    More details on the date error, please. What kind of dates is Quicken generating now and what dates did it generate before this latest change?
    (Just for the record: My date stamps in the Backup file names for both Manual and Automatic Backups are correct)

On my system it may take up to 30 seconds after the Quicken window closes for the Quicken task to finish doing what it's doing (backups, I'm guessing) and disappear from Task Manager. How long does Quicken stay around on your system? Do you Sync to Cloud as Quicken closes?

• GoodOlDan
    GoodOlDan Member ✭✭
    Prior to R41.10 there was a single checkbox option in the Ctrl-B / Backup dialog to add the current date to the filename of the new file in the form "-2022-06-12.QDF-backup". Simple, and it worked just fine.

Beginning with R41.10, there are now two checkboxes, one to add the date, and a second to add the current time to the file name of the saved file. I suppose the addition of "time" would be useful for some folks who saved multiple backups in the same day. The problem is... the new changes in R41.10 pretty much broke everything in the backup dialog, and I've spent my weekend trying to figure things out.

The really strange thing is that the "Date" and "Time" boxes seem to randomly "grey out" and become unavailable, yet the date seems to be added regardless... at least some of the time. The "Date" box will even be "greyed out" randomly when NO validly formatted date string is present in the file name.

This is a real case of "fixing" what was never broken. The "add date" feature has worked perfectly for years... please just put it back the way it was, NOW! As for adding "time" to the filename... it appears to be broken as well. Save that for someday after it's tested and actually works.

Finally... whose idea was it to PUSH such poorly tested changes to the general user population? This would have failed even an early "beta" test. Quicken needs to stop pushing "updates" that break the installations of folks who assume that some minimal amount of testing has been performed. What's worse, there is apparently is NO WAY to retreat back to an earlier working release. The main installation file and "mondo" update files online were both updated with this crappy update the same day it was "pushed" to users. There needs to be a protocol to keep the earlier release available to users for cases such as this where a bad update is pushed... even if it means removing and reinstalling Quicken. Contacting "support" was no help.. they said that there's "no way" to regress to the prior version, and were no help in fixing this fiasco..
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    R41.10 fails to add correct date to each new backup file.
    I've asked this main text be merged into the other R41.xx Backup Date message thread.
    Also -  suggested the 2nd comment be split off into a different topic thread.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• ytuiky
    ytuiky Member
    Here is a work-around that has worked for me. Add date is grayed out, but add time is not grayed out. I click on add time and then save the backup. Now I go back into backup and add date is not grayed out. So I select add date and then save the backup. So it takes two saves instead of one, but at least it is working for me.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    GoodOlDan said:
    there is apparently is NO WAY to retreat back to an earlier working release.
    There is. Go here and download the Mondo patch for the release you want.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• BlazerBob
    BlazerBob Member
    Incredible we are even discussing this issue.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and reporting this bug, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

This bug has been confirmed internally and I have gone ahead and submitted a bug report for this to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution.

Unfortunately, we won't have an ETA on this. However, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future update release.

Thank you for your patience and for bringing awareness to this issue!
    (CTP-3925)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• milleron
    milleron Member ✭✭
    I hadn't opened Quicken in 8 days. Today, when I did, there was an update. My version is now 41.10, but I am NOT experiencing the problem. I can backup with the date and with the date and time, and I can backup to multiple directories without a problem. I'm guessing that rather than issuing 41.11, they may have corrected the code in 41.10. Dunno for sure, but Complete Backup in 41.10 is working perfectly for me as of 6/16
  • J Smith
    J Smith Member ✭✭
    A work around: When changing to another backup location, backup without the date the first time. The date will not be greyed after the backup completes and you can choose date and do another backup with date.

It is a shame Quicken doesn't properly check revisions. Almost as bad as Quicken's success getting a Marcus credit card setup. That problem has been ongoing since April. All one receives is there is no ETA when Quicken will fix the scripts.
  • marpler
    marpler Member ✭✭
    Yes thanks but I am aware of the work-around. Just wanted to ask Quicken to return to a more standard approach for backup processes
This discussion has been closed.