Budget Disappeared.

Answers

• CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Thanks for sharing DP.  Sorry to see you have to take such a drastic move.  Of course this will not be necessary if Quicken would prioritize the effort to fix.
    Quicken User Since - 1991
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    Question: For those of us who have been loyal Quicken users x several years resulting in very large Quicken files, is this actually true?  Perhaps it is, since we can create budgets, but reliably access them... not so much.  Still very frustrating to lose budgets requiring so much time to backup so frequently and restore with no update or feedback from Quicken>

• mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Leave it to us longtime Quicken users to be working on our finances on Jan 1!!! I count myself as this is an annual tradition for me for Jan 1.

I have spent the past week doing a lot of work in Quicken Premier for Windows. This includes changing, adding, deleted categories including activating and deactivating categories in my 2022 budget and recategorizing whole slews of transactions. I have been downloading both expense and investment transactions, running budget reports, running and tweaking a bunch of other reports. I've also been tweaking some investment transactions (trying to account for the complex Brookfield spin off).

As I go along I regularly check planning/budget and do many backups.

This morning Quicken popped up with a message that it had created a 2023 budget for me from my 2022 budget. I was able to access both budget reports at will.

As I do every year, after getting all of last year finished up I did a supervalidate and created my annual backup file - I backup many times as I go along but I also always make a Jan 1 annual backup that goes offsite (in addition to my cloud backups using Acronis). My Quicken file is about 326 MB.

As I've reported before I have not lost a budget or had any hiccups since I transitioned to a new computer with Windows 11 in early November (HP Dragonbook 13.5 inch G3 notebook running WIndows Pro 64, 16GB of memory, 512GB SSD hard drive). 

I did nothing to my file along the way other than move computers and stay updated on Quicken releases. I have no idea why this has, at least for now, solved the backup loss issue for me but recording this just in case it is of use to anyone else.  The Dragonbook comes with a fair bit of HP software that runs stuff within virtual machines to isolate software instances for security/virus protection, don't know if that has anything to do with this.

Anyways, I too hope that the New Year brings a permanent Quicken provided solution to this issue for everyone.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Thanks for sharing mtn_living.  Especially glad to hear that it works with your fairly large file and that you did not have to reduce and/or start from scratch.  May I ask whether you went with and/or recommend AMD vs Intel processor?

I'm due for a new desktop and laptop over the next year.  I will certainly pack them with W11, a strong processor and plenty of memory in hopes of overcoming this frustrating problem.  It would be great if Quicken would share if this extreme and high cost move is a know solution.  I'd probably move faster if they could provide confirmation.

Until then, I am happy to report that the dummy file continues to work as needed (even though it should not be needed  :))
  • dhcernese
    dhcernese Member ✭✭
    I can't find an 'ongoing' issue in the alerts and known issue list. is this being tracked? i can't follow the work-around, I keep making mistakes and I'll never remember it. I've been without budgets for months. Is there any fix in the future?
    Quicken Premier R48.18 on Windows10 now. I started with MYM (Managing Your Money) on DOS
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Quicken has stated in prior posts within this discussion thread that they are aware of the problem (See Quicken Anja).  They have been crickets otherwise.  Some apparently have had direct contact with the Quicken Development Team and statements that a solutions was just weeks away (Months ago) can be seen in the previous 14 pages of this thread.  Although this discussion has been among the most active according to their newsletter, Quicken does not have anything more to offer to those of us suffering with this subscription product flaw.  The Quicken service reps know little to nothing about this issue when people bring it up in phone calls.  It could be that they have determined that we are a small subset of users, albeit many are longtime customers.  As one who has been frustrated by this issue for over two years, I know of no other or more reliable solution than the dummy file work around described several times since late October.  The sad part is that the community has provided Quicken with the parameter for a long term solution related to the memory management bug in larger files but has not communicated any intentions to fix.

One of the customers on this thread has recently indicated (a few days ago) that this problem went away for him when he bought a new computer with Window 11.  Perhaps Quicken is waiting for all of us to upgrade our computers over time, but I have seen posts where people with W11 still suffer from the software flaw.

Until we get a real solution I do recommend following the dummy file work around as it is really quite simple and worth the extra steps if you want to prevent budget loss when entering the planning tab.  I re described it for a customer in the prior page of this thread.
  • Bzonk
    Bzonk Member ✭✭
    Quicken user since 2002. The budget loss issue is a big problem for me as well. My experience is quite similar to those described in this thread. I had budget data going back 20 years and it's now all gone. I can create a budget, perform a backup, close and reopen Quicken to find no budget data has been saved. Very frustrating. :(
  • GEN-E
    GEN-E Member
    Just lost my budgets back 20 yrs. I have a back up, but had just created my new 2023 budget (5 hrs of work as I was transitioning from a July to June budget to a Jan to Dec budget. I had no problems until today. So sorry to read of so many others who have been dealing with this. Is Quicken worth it anymore? Lost all my historical data from one of my retirement accounts, too. Just has t total shares, no more cost basis data. Has anyone found a fix yet for this missing data?
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    GEN-E said:
    Just lost my budgets back 20 yrs. I have a back up, but had just created my new 2023 budget (5 hrs of work as I was transitioning from a July to June budget to a Jan to Dec budget. I had no problems until today. So sorry to read of so many others who have been dealing with this. Is Quicken worth it anymore? Lost all my historical data from one of my retirement accounts, too. Just has t total shares, no more cost basis data. Has anyone found a fix yet for this missing data?
    GEN, there are some workarounds that seem to "help", but no fix so far.

The best plan of defense is taking frequent backups, especially after making any updates.  Though you may lose the new budget work, you should be able to restore from a previous back-up and not lose the historical data.  Unfortunately, you will end up having to re-do anything from the last restore point.

Not ideal at all and sorry you hit this too.  
  • robertjones
    robertjones Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    [Removed - Rant] I call support and your support staff claims, they are not even aware of the issue? A serious disconnect between development/support/customers. How do we get an update on know outstanding issues?? Sorry, your product seems to be failing after too many good years.
  • dhcernese
    dhcernese Member ✭✭
    The only response I saw from Anja was CTP-3981 "June 2022 edited August 2022" and says turn cloud sync off (mine has always been off) and restore a backup. That seems not to be sufficient given how many people have already reported that simply restoring a backup doesn't keep the budgets (or needs to be restored some random number of time ; or have a dummy file in between). That was over 4 months ago.
    Quicken Premier R48.18 on Windows10 now. I started with MYM (Managing Your Money) on DOS
  • hjfcfonew
    hjfcfonew Member ✭✭
    Very frustrating that this has been going on this long with no end in sight.
  • Ryan5177
    Ryan5177 Member ✭✭
    does anyone have experience with the budget function and release 45.21? Has anything been fixed/improved sine R42?
  • drichman
    drichman Member ✭✭
    > @dhcernese said:
    > The only response I saw from Anja was CTP-3981 "June 2022 edited August 2022" and says turn cloud sync off

I never had an issue, after many years of use, until I turned on Cloud Sync. I then turned it off and have not had an issue since (going on a couple of months) - **knocks on wood**
  • Joe12
    Joe12 Member ✭✭✭
    It seems many of us are having the disappearing budget issue. Quicken, are you listening? I too called the help desk and it was no help. This is so frustrating and causes rework. When will it be fixed. I know I could start over, but like others, I value the past/historical data.
  • robertjones
    robertjones Member ✭✭
    yes continues to happen more often will Quicken ever fix this?
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    Another incident today.  Was able to start Quicken, access budget, do a one step update and a series of other actions such as update house value via Zillow.  Went back to access budget before doing a full backup and no budget.

So frustrating.

I have noticed that doing an update to the house value from Zillow that it seems to often cause a problem.  Probably not the cause of the issue, but there is some code path that is causing this and that seems to be one of them.

Ok, back to trying to get a restore to work (so far on my 5th try).  
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Is it just me, but I don't recall the list of File, Edit, Tools above the tool bar to include Planning and a few other options many of which are also tabs in the account bar tabs.  Wondering if anyone has tried to the Planning (then budget) screens through what appears to be an expanded list based on memory.  This may have been there for a while, but if they added those actions, in particular the Planning task above the tool bar I wonder if they are testing this alternative way to enter the Planning area as a way circumvent the budget access problem??
    Am I mistaken, has anyone noticed this as a change or is that I just don't remember the number of options above the tool bar.  If this is new, has anyone tried entering the budget screen through the "Planning" Option above the Tool Bar?

To add to this, I received a new version available today (January).  I did not update then, but noticed a good number of "fixes and improvements".  When I went back later, I the update was not available to load?  Today in Jan 6 and latest release appears to be 45.21 from December.

• YTilahun
    YTilahun Member ✭✭
    Yes, I did receive the update notice, and then later when I tried to update it, it was gone.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    CMRater said:
    Is it just me, but I don't recall the list of File, Edit, Tools above the tool bar to include Planning and a few other options many of which are also tabs in the account bar tabs.  Wondering if anyone has tried to the Planning (then budget) screens through what appears to be an expanded list based on memory.  This may have been there for a while, but if they added those actions, in particular the Planning task above the tool bar I wonder if they are testing this alternative way to enter the Planning area as a way circumvent the budget access problem??
    Am I mistaken, has anyone noticed this as a change or is that I just don't remember the number of options above the tool bar.  If this is new, has anyone tried entering the budget screen through the "Planning" Option above the Tool Bar?

To add to this, I received a new version available today (January).  I did not update then, but noticed a good number of "fixes and improvements".  When I went back later, I the update was not available to load?  Today in Jan 6 and latest release appears to be 45.21 from December.

As far as I know those have been there as long as I remember.  I did not get offered a new version and just did Check for Update and told I have the latest at 45.21
  • My budgets for first quarter 2023 have disappeared. I closed the program and reopened. None of my information is in the Planning sedtion.
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    My budgets for first quarter 2023 have disappeared. I closed the program and reopened. None of my information is in the Planning sedtion.
    Patty, it seems you have hit the bug that many of us have as documented in this thread and multiple others.  Hopefully you have a recent full backup you can restore from?  I take frequent full backups and always take one before exiting Quicken AFTER verifying I can view the budget from the planning view.  

Warning:  It can sometimes take 5-10 restores of a full backup to get the budget viewable again.

The consensus seems to be some sort of memory error, but there is no fix for this ongoing issue.  

Good luck and bookmark this thread.  
  • pmeyers
    pmeyers Member ✭✭
    I don't sync and lose the budget every couple of weeks. Is Quicken trying to solve this?
  • Roger C
    Roger C Member
    edited January 2023
    Same here [Removed - Disruptive]
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Well I used the dummy file procedure and tried entering the budget screen using the Planning command line above the toolbar.  Sorry to report going that route was the first failure to access budgets since late October using the Dummy File method.  Got the No Budget Error.  Restored successfully on first attempt as I was able to run a budget report.  Retried Dummy file procedure on restored file by going into the colored Planning tab below the toolbar as I had been doing to access Budgets and was once again able to access budget screen.  Not sure if the failure with using File command row above the toolbar was a one time experience, but don't need to keep to trying as going through the Planning tab below the toolbar continues to work.  Now I get to face the dreaded prospects of 501 and worse 800 CC Errors on my next One Step Update.  Usually takes several days for Quicken and some Bank downloads to work properly again.  Direct Connect and the new EWC connections are not a problem.  Until OSU starts working properly again I have to revert to web connect bank by bank :(.

In the meantime I see a new version of Quicken is being released in stages.  I counted 3 Improvements and 26 Fixes.  All seem to be related to fixing unimportant "improvements" to extraneous features they have instituted over the last several years.  In the meantime no fix, no mention, no acknowledgement and no status regarding the ongoing Loss of Budget Flaw despite it being one of the most fundamental functions of a financial management software product.
  • YTilahun
    YTilahun Member ✭✭
    Since I first read about the dummy budget file method, I've tried it quite a few times. And so far it seems to be working very well for me. Thank you to whoever discovered this method.
This discussion has been closed.