Budget Disappeared.

Options

Answers

• mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the update Quicken Anja.

One question on the update post - My Help/About shows "Securities Max/ref". Is that the correct one? (Quicken Windows R45)
    Yes, that is correct.
    In the Alert I think you posted that if Securities Max/Ref is greater than 5,000 do a Super Validate.  Did you mean 5,000 or 500?  Mine says 422/494.   Also, am I correct in assuming this set of numbers is the number of individual securities in one's securities list of out the maximum allowed?   This has prompted me to go into my securities list and do some serious pruning of many securities I've accumulated just as watch list items over the years.
  • Paul26
    Paul26 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I have had good luck for a couple of months with the budget disappearing issue. However, this morning, after installing Version R46.12, I encountered the disappearing budget problem again after downloading and working with some bank transactions. Also, this release R46.12 caused an issue with my reminders. The date on approximately 20-30 of them has suddenly changed to 1/1/2023 and the amounts for recurring reminders reverted to the recurring amount rather than what I had set at for the current month. After correcting them, they still revert back - but that does not really fall under this topic.
  • gleasca
    gleasca Member ✭✭
    Options
    This has happened twice in the last 2 weeks. I have had budgets for years and now they disappeared. AND the one i just set up 3 days ago disappeared.
    I am on Quicken Premier Subscription.
    What gives?
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everything there is know is contained in the preceding 16 pages of community discussion.  If you read through the most recent pages you will be caught up on the latest regarding the flaw and promises of a potential fix.

Sorry you have joined the growing number of customers affected by this problem.  Some of us use a "Dummy File" process discovered and detailed since late October to gain access to the budget data.
    Quicken User Since - 1991
  • dsuckstorff
    dsuckstorff Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have always created a budget in quicken however, some time last year all the budgets from previous years disappeared. I created a new budget for 2022, only to have it disappear again? did it again and it also disappeared. I do not know if it disappears after a quicken update or just randomly. I gave up in 2022. but decided to create one for 2023. Two days ago that budget disappeared - if I go into planning it welcomes me to create a budget. What the heck is going on? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Jay Gourley
    Jay Gourley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Could this be related to the number of budgets?  A post elsewhere by CMRater said it mainly affected long-time users with large data files.  I had 23 budgets.  I created a 24th for 2023.  The budget does not appear in the list of budgets, and Quicken now crashes every time I click on the "Planning" tab.  I went through two tiers of Quicken Support, Almost four hours on the phone.  I'm told the issue is now with the software developers.  Quicken installed a new update yesterday (1/12/23) without effect.  Quicken Premier for Windows still crashes each time I click on "Planning" tab.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I only have 2 budgets.  Don't think number of budgets is related to the issue, but I keep to least amount of budgets necessary to minimize any potential related strain on the software.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Read the posting by the Quicken personnel. This is related to a memory management issue/glitch. It is not related to number of budgets nor navigation through the menu system.
  • Jay Gourley
    Jay Gourley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, CMRater.  I assume that in context that means that you still have the problem despite having only two budgets.  In other words, you cannot create a third budget.
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Paul26, thanks for the information.  I've been running stable for over a week now and am not going to download the update for now.  
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Thanks, CMRater.  I assume that in context that means that you still have the problem despite having only two budgets.  In other words, you cannot create a third budget.
    That is correct Jay.  While an imminent fix has been indicated again, should the issue remain unresolved you may want to resort to the "Dummy File" procedure until a final fix is finally released.

Here is what works for me:

1) Open file (Primary File) with budgets present from last back up where you were able to run budget reports.  Highly recommend that you back up file after you run a budget report as that should confirm, you have a back up with budgets present so you always have a latest file with budgets to restore if/when necessary.
    2) From File Command, Open Dummy file from most recent file list at bottom
    3) Once that file is open (should be pretty quick w/ no data), Go to File Command and open your Primary File while in Dummy File.
    4) If Primary File had budgets, you should be able to access budgets through the Planning Tab
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    General question for the group here.  When you access your budget from the planning tabs, do you usually have the "Details" or "Graph" view displayed. 

99% of the time I am trying to bring up the "Details" view.  Was wondering if the "Graph" view made any difference for anyone with regards to losing the access to the budget. 
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I default to and use table view.  Graphs take up a lot of space relative to the information they provide.  Although i have not lost budgets for a while, when i do, its in table mode.
  • jennw82
    jennw82 Member
    Options
    I lost my budget this morning. I've read many pages and it looks like no resolution other than backing up (and even that seems not to have consistent results). Thankfully I recreated my budget categories in Excel with amounts so that I can re-create them in Quickbooks. What a pain though!! I have used Quicken for years and it seems like it got very very buggy during Q4 2022 - today (January 2023). My bank feeds are coming in sporadically and now my budgets disappear. Also notice that upcoming recurring bill amounts will change on their own. I've had to fix that several times!
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Awesome news, thank you. A few things to add and one you may want to communicate.

Quite a bit ago when contacted by Quicken software quality engineers about this issue in response to my forum posts I was able to supply them with my data file immediately prior to budget loss and immediately after. This was back in like July or so. I was able to do this because for a bit I literally backed up every single step. They found this very useful and were able to isolate at least my version of the budget loss problem. That’s when they gave a few of us a test patch to try and later, apparently slipstreamed a fix into a main release. This is probably why I’ve been good since fall. Unfortunately there seem to be other variants of the memory issue/budget loss that are still to be resolved. If you happen to capture a backup just before and one just after budget loss make sure to save those as Quicken might need them. I know some may be uncomfortable sharing their data files, I wasn’t.

Over the past six months I’ve repeatedly urged that they let users know what’s going on via the forum and let the frontline support people know, Apparently the tier two support people have know about this.  In mid September I received this email “I’ll let our community team know about the progress and request to update the post for assurance that the team is working on it.”  Obviously something broke down in the chain of communications. Also strange to me that senior management does not more closely monitor their own forums or have a formal trigger process  to see if an issue is ballooning up.

I was contacted very recently about their desire to test the newest version of the fix and I told them to mine this forum for folks to do testing.

Again, thanks for reaching out to management, great move putting this on the front burner.
  • mikemoysf
    mikemoysf Member
    Options
    am having same issue. created a january 2023 budget, worked for a few days, then all of a sudden whether calling up budget report or clicking planning, it says you have not set up any budget amounts.
  • Ryan5177
    Ryan5177 Member ✭✭
    Options
    thanks for these continuing updates. Does Quicken still plan to include fixes to the budget module in release 47 at the end of this month?
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jennw82 said:
    I lost my budget this morning. I've read many pages and it looks like no resolution other than backing up (and even that seems not to have consistent results). Thankfully I recreated my budget categories in Excel with amounts so that I can re-create them in Quickbooks. What a pain though!! I have used Quicken for years and it seems like it got very very buggy during Q4 2022 - today (January 2023). My bank feeds are coming in sporadically and now my budgets disappear. Also notice that upcoming recurring bill amounts will change on their own. I've had to fix that several times!
    Have you done a Super Validate on your file recently? Might be worth doing if not.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ryan5177 said:
    thanks for these continuing updates. Does Quicken still plan to include fixes to the budget module in release 47 at the end of this month?
    That is still the latest word from Quicken, assuming their testing of the fix goes well. 
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    YTilahun said:
    @CMRater: I've seen your note that you would like to be one of the testers for the fix. I owe Mr. Parker an e-mail. I will mention your name to him to be a tester if that is ok with you.
    Yes   YTilahun, please feel free to give my name.  Been dealing with the issue for over 2 years.  I’m retired so can make the time to help them out.

Thanks for your efforts.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    For what it's worth: It has been several weeks since I lost my budget.  Please recall: I access the Planning tab and visualize my budget before backing up frequently, documenting that the budget is present and functioning at the time of backup.  Today I made some minor modifications to my new 2023 budget and upon accessing the Planning tab to backup as usual, the dreaded message of "NO budget" appeared.  I tried to RESTORE several prior backups to "re-visualize" prior budgets with no success.  After each Restore attempt, I noted once again, the Quicken cloud sync sequence, even though that option is turned off in preferences.  Recalling my past observation that turning off my wifi access in my PC (which, of course prevents the cloud sync) I turned off my wifi today.  I again Restored the most recent backup successfully, most recent budget changes present. 

As insight, I remain convinced that the current "bug" causing the disappearing budget is linked somehow to the unauthorized cloud backup sequence.  Hoping Quicken and those of you communicating with Quicken programmers will relay my recurrent observations.
  • hjfcfonew
    hjfcfonew Member ✭✭
    Options
    New message today: Lost budgets and categories! "This Quicken file contains no budgetable accounts or categories. The Budget feature cannot used at this time" Got this after a super validation. Tried the opening a dummy file and then the real file. No change.
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Received an email this morning from support with a/the supposed fix.  I have loaded it on an the early returns are good so far, but way too early to tell.  The Version R47.5

I'll keep my experience updated this week. 
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Me too.  Will upload and test shortly.
  • YTilahun
    YTilahun Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have received an e-mail too. Looking forward to testing it.

@CMRater glad you got the link
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks to you YT :smile:
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HI hjfcfonew The Dummy file method only works if you know you had budgets and want to access the budget screen. It will not recover budget data already lost. Hope that helps.
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Received an email this morning from support with a/the supposed fix.  I have loaded it on an the early returns are good so far, but way too early to tell.  The Version R47.5

I'll keep my experience updated this week. 
    So far so good.  Have been in and out of Quicken several times this morning.  Played around with online quote updates, zillow updates for property and even used the tax planner extensively.  Pulled up the planning tab--budget with no problems so far!  Still taking a full backup when exiting once I know the budget is viewable.  

Lot's of testing to do, but this is a good sign so far.  Any one of the activities above would have usually (but not always) resulted in the error.  
This discussion has been closed.