Budget Disappeared.

Options

Answers

• CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Very limited testintg so far too, but so far so good.  Seems like Morningstar data had to be refreshed but started to work, even portfolio xray which I had avoided due to the memory drain.

I have not dared to try the mobile web feature, as I have avoided that for years due to problems.  Have you tried?  Would be nice if that could work.

Have to say the budget pops in pretty reliably from different screens and tasks so far.
    Quicken User Since - 1991
  • hjfcfonew
    hjfcfonew Member ✭✭
    Options
    Got an email today from Kuldeep at Quicken to test an updated beta version which they believe solves the issue. I've been testing it all day. I was able to create a new budget for 2023. Quicken did crash 2 times over the course of the day while editing the budget, however, the budget has remained intact. I was briefly unable to save a report of the budget into Excel, but after a crash, I was able to open the file and save the budget report into Excel thereby backing up my work and the budget. I can live with this version, so far. I've not yet tested any other functionality aspects, but will do over the course oof the next few days.
  • Steph Chaps
    Options
    Periodically, our budgets are getting wiped out. There must be a solution to this problem. I hope you are working on this. Also, your system crashes when entering various Security Holding Symbols.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Periodically, our budgets are getting wiped out. There must be a solution to this problem. I hope you are working on this. Also, your system crashes when entering various Security Holding Symbols.
    A number of this have been dealing with disappearing budgets for years.  While a fix has been pledged at times no movement until recently.  As you can see from above, a number of us are currently beta testing a long awaited fix for this problem.  Only had the beta version for about a day, but preliminary it appears to be very promising as they have asked us to try to replicate the problem (which easily occurred) and thus far, I have not been able to lose my budget :smiley:  They are targeting early February to release this update which may be version 47.5.  Stay tuned to this discussion as I assume that the others will be reporting their experiences over the coming days as will I.
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just a quick update for the Beta.  So far no budget loss.  I've been pretty cavalier, bypassing all the best practices I've used to avoid the budget loss issue, and so far all good.  Still taking a backup after each session though just in case.  
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Though I haven't had budget loss in months, probably from prior fix, I've installed the beta fix just to make sure it isn't messing anything up. So far so good.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I have also stopped using all my usual precautions (e.g., frequent backups, etc) and have had no issues thus far.  In fact I decided to test the mobile sync issue which some of us suspected may be one of the causes.  For time being I am able to use the Quicken web as mobile benefit.  Not tried app yet.  Still no problem retrieving budgets.  I have also started to use Portfolio X-Ray and change portfolio view by security vs account, these we almost guarantees for Budget Loss error.  Budget continues to be readily accessible.  Usually budget pops right up, sometimes lags for a second or so reminiscent the "No Budget" Error, but the budget keeps appearing :smile:  I am starting enjoy many of the Quicken features that I have avoided due to fear of causing memory related budget crashes.  Overall, it seems that Quicken is much more nimble and responsive like new even though I have 30 years of data :smiley:

Probably too early for verdict, but very encouraging so far.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had started to spec out new computer as mtn_living suspected his success might be due to new computer.  I can't run Windows 11 due to new system requirements and had begun to think this was an underlying issue.  Clearly not the driving force of the budget loss problem.  Most likely a memory management issue being addressed with this beta.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CMRater said:
    I had started to spec out new computer as mtn_living suspected his success might be due to new computer.  I can't run Windows 11 due to new system requirements and had begun to think this was an underlying issue.  Clearly not the driving force of the budget loss problem.  Most likely a memory management issue being addressed with this beta.
    As noted previously I now think my budget loss problems got fixed in a prior release because they used my actual files to come up with fix. So I agree that a new computer/Windows 11 isn't what solved things for me..... but it sure is nice anyways.  :):):)
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Wonder how they solved your budget issue but not everyone’s?  I suppose because more than one factor is causing the problem.  Let’s hope the beta is a universal cure!
    …and I am still spec-ing out a new computer, but when I pull the trigger it won’t be in hopes of addressing the budget problem :smile:
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    CMRater said:
    I have also stopped using all my usual precautions (e.g., frequent backups, etc) and have had no issues thus far.  In fact I decided to test the mobile sync issue which some of us suspected may be one of the causes.  For time being I am able to use the Quicken web as mobile benefit.  Not tried app yet.  Still no problem retrieving budgets.  I have also started to use Portfolio X-Ray and change portfolio view by security vs account, these we almost guarantees for Budget Loss error.  Budget continues to be readily accessible.  Usually budget pops right up, sometimes lags for a second or so reminiscent the "No Budget" Error, but the budget keeps appearing :smile:  I am starting enjoy many of the Quicken features that I have avoided due to fear of causing memory related budget crashes.  Overall, it seems that Quicken is much more nimble and responsive like new even though I have 30 years of data :smiley:

Probably too early for verdict, but very encouraging so far.
    I've also noticed that things are a little "snappier".  When it does hang though for a second I get the sinking feeling of the budget loss problem.  Might take a while for that to subside.  Kind of like when you had a scratch in a record and you just got used to it skipping a part of the song. You hear it that way for a long time...well, at least until CD's came out :-:smiley:
  • Ryan5177
    Ryan5177 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the update! When you are testing v47.5, does it require Windows 11???
  • Robert
    Robert Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    My quicken just updated to 47.7.   Anyone know if this has the "budget loss" fix.   Not clear from release notes which says that it fixes an issue with budgets synching to cloud, but not much else that seems relevant.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Ryan5177 said:
    Thanks for the update! When you are testing v47.5, does it require Windows 11???
    Does not require W11.  I still use W10 and the budget piece of the beta has been working very well.

Robert said:
    My quicken just updated to 47.7.   Anyone know if this has the "budget loss" fix.   Not clear from release notes which says that it fixes an issue with budgets synching to cloud, but not much else that seems relevant.
    I saw that as well.  47.7 is actually 47.07 in Quicken version counting.  The Quicken developer some of us are working with said that the budget fix release would be in 47.5 in early Feb.  Not sure if he meant 47.50?  I have reached out for clarification.  I did not see any mention of the budget fix in the 47.7 release notes so I will not download until testing on the beta is complete unless the developer advises otherwise.  Will keep this forum posted.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Robert said:
    No it does not include the fix some of us are currently testing. They just sent us the fix on Monday so it would be too soon to declare victory and mainstream the fix at this point. Heartened to hear many are seeing positive results from the fix. 
  • hjfcfonew
    hjfcfonew Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm using the version Quicken sent me with the fix (47.5). I stopped using most usual precautions (e.g., opening dummy file first, then live file, but to be safe, I'm still making frequent backups). Just ran a Live Update. I've had no issues thus far. Still avoiding mobile sync. Still no problem retrieving budgets. Budget continues to be readily accessible. I had a few creahes over the past 2 days, but none today. I agree that it seems that Quicken is much more nimble and responsive like new even though I also have 30 years of data (back to 1993!!!).

Very encouraging so far.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I had a bit of a hiccup this morning after deactivating 4 CC accounts with CC 800 errors.  Not sure why these errors occurred, but the software took an unusual amount of time to deactivate and froze up for an hour or so recalculating investment values and then on to another dialog box of "loading Quicken Data".  I also recall that this event was triggered when I went to "Report a Problem".

I am not sure if this is attributable to my reactivating mobile sync.  The software has been acting so well, with developer's encouragement I decided to venture into the mobile sync as well as a number of quicken capabilities that I had avoided to in my mind "pacify the program".  I left to run an errand and by the time I got back the program was unfrozen and usable.  I ran a number of validates/super validates with only a few corrections so I hope that is over.  Since then I am continuing with Mobile Sync and Web Access and the software and budget access have continued very well.  Software continues to be responsive, nimble and "snappier" :) .  I have not lost a budget since loading the beta!  I come into the budget screen from every other screen possible and it seems as the budget data is "glued" to the software now with only an occasional lag!  Very promising overall!  I suspect the problem I had is driven by the deactivating of online with the four CC accounts with the CC 800 error.  These accounts involve multiple accounts with the same CC company.  After a few days I usually can resume OSU with them but I wanted to test if all the improvements would help with fixing those errors - apparently not.

I am documenting all my experiences, almost all of which are very good, and will share with the developer soon.  Personally, once he considers the observations, unless he feels otherwise, I think the All Clear is not far away at all.
  • Melt
    Melt Member
    Options
    So, I have been a Quicken user since 2010, but first time on this forum, which has been helpful. I had created a 2023 budget early January as I have done each year. I signed on to Quicken yesterday as usual doing some minor transactions and the last thing I wanted to do was to update the 2023 budget with some amounts that were being pushed out to the end of the year, normal actions that I have done numerous times. When I went to the Planning Section I get the "Create a Budget" screen and no budgets. Reading the comments, I realize this has been going on a while for some folks, but this is the first time for me. I realize in the previous discussions that a proposed fix is coming out shortly. My question is this: Should I wait until the latest release is available, leaving my quicken file as is, then do the update? Will the budget reappear after the update without doing anything? I backup before and after each session so I know when I got the message during my session of 1/25/23, although I don't think I had to update the 2023 Budget prior, so the problem may have been lurking in the background. I have R46.12 Build 27.1.46.12. I did the check for updates and it says I "already have the latest version of Quicken(Release R46.12). I have done a super validation with no joy. I have not restored to a previous file. Thoughts? Thanks for your help.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Melt said:
    So, I have been a Quicken user since 2010, but first time on this forum, which has been helpful. I had created a 2023 budget early January as I have done each year. I signed on to Quicken yesterday as usual doing some minor transactions and the last thing I wanted to do was to update the 2023 budget with some amounts that were being pushed out to the end of the year, normal actions that I have done numerous times. When I went to the Planning Section I get the "Create a Budget" screen and no budgets. Reading the comments, I realize this has been going on a while for some folks, but this is the first time for me. I realize in the previous discussions that a proposed fix is coming out shortly. My question is this: Should I wait until the latest release is available, leaving my quicken file as is, then do the update? Will the budget reappear after the update without doing anything? I backup before and after each session so I know when I got the message during my session of 1/25/23, although I don't think I had to update the 2023 Budget prior, so the problem may have been lurking in the background. I have R46.12 Build 27.1.46.12. I did the check for updates and it says I "already have the latest version of Quicken(Release R46.12). I have done a super validation with no joy. I have not restored to a previous file. Thoughts? Thanks for your help.
    Very doubtful that budget will re-appear after fix comes out. Best approach would likely be to restore backup until you get to a version that still has budget. Some have had better results in restore if you first do a restart on your computer before doing restore. You might then use the open a dummy file before opening your main Quicken file trick which some have found effective at retaining budget, see prior posts in this thread. Once you have budget back do very frequent backups, even within a Quicken session and utilize the ability to add time to backup name. Just to mention it, be sure your file is not living on a cloud drive which has caused problems for some. Hopefully the fix being tested proves durable and gets mainstreamed soon.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    To Melt: I have found that once you are able to see the budget with a previous Restore, then restoring (again) your most recent backup will bring you all the way back to where you were when you lost the budget, that being your most recent backup. 
  • Melt
    Melt Member
    Options
    Thanks. Not knowing how Quicken operates, typically how long does it take for a patch to successfully go through testing then to general release? I know there maybe a variety of factors, just trying to get a sense. Days... weeks?
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Melt said:
    Thanks. Not knowing how Quicken operates, typically how long does it take for a patch to successfully go through testing then to general release? I know there maybe a variety of factors, just trying to get a sense. Days... weeks?
    Guess: If it goes well in user testing I suspect they'd roll it out in February regular update but that's a total guess and obviously dependent on testing results. They have been promising this fix for 4-5 months now so I think they want to get it out.
  • Melt
    Melt Member
    Options
    Ok thank you .
  • Wayne BR
    Wayne BR Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just lost my budget on the latest update a few days ago. Will I have to rebuild my budget, which is not that big of a deal right now? What can I do to prevent this loss again?
  • IST
    IST Member ✭✭
    Options
    I lost all my past budgets as soon as I clicked "planning" after the 2023 new year. Although I was able to restore my file and have my past budgets in place, they would always disappear when I clicked "planning" again. Obviously, having to recreate these budgets is a huge waste of time. I am running H&B R46.12 on a mac via crossover.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wayne BR said:
    I just lost my budget on the latest update a few days ago. Will I have to rebuild my budget, which is not that big of a deal right now? What can I do to prevent this loss again?
    There are quite a few tips if you read through this thread over the past month or so.
  • Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have the same problem now.  Never had this issue until QW27.1.47.12 update.  I fixed this by uninstalling Q. Used Quicken QUI after uninstall.  Download or have the mondo patch for the update prior to this.  Turn off your internet connection or unplug.  Reinstall Q.  After installed, shut down.  DO NOT CONNECT TO INTERNET.  Run the new MONDO Patch 27.2.47.7  Restart the computer with the internet connection.  Run quicken.  Has worked fine for 2 Days with no loss of Budget.  Good Luck!

• CJ1
    CJ1 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I had this same problem and, earlier this week, a Quicken tech advisor gave me the following instructions, WHICH APPEAR TO HAVE WORKED:

1. Press and Hold the CTRL+Shift key at the same time
    2. Let's go to File
    3. Validate and Repair File
    4.Release the CTRL + Shift keys.
    5. Check on the Super Validate File box
    6. Click Ok.
    7. Once the validation notepad shows up, please close it.
    8. Then, let's go to Edit
    9. Preferences
    10. Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    11. Sign in as a Different User
    12. Type the Word "Yes"
    13. Click Sign out
    14. Then, sign back in with your email and password for Quicken, please.
    15. Finally, restore a backup from before the problem appeared.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I ran into some crashes and problems with R47.5.  I mentioned to the developer who gave me this instruction which to my surprise indicated that the budget fix was installed in R47.7.  There was no mention of budget fix in the Release Notes.

"47.7 contains the budget fix and crash fix as well which is related to budget area so, please go ahead and take R47.7 latest patch. If you don’t get the update, then use below link to directly download and install."

First few tries since installing R47.7 seem to work well.  Sounds like the beta testing time has passed.  Time to access R47.7.

Hopefully this ends this painful saga  :)

Will also add that I am re-abandoning Cloud Sync and Mobile/Web.  I seems to cause nothing but trouble and really does not provide much useful utility.  Not worth the trouble.

• hjfcfonew
    hjfcfonew Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Just heard from developer, Kuldeep. He wrote:
    Kuldeep Singh
    10:26 AM (53 minutes ago)

Thank you for the update!

We have addressed the crash as well and released R47.7 version for all customers. Please use below link to download and install 27.1.47.7 version which is latest R47 release.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

And this one you can continue to use as its final production release for R47 and report if you notice any issues.
    Thank you!
    --
    Regards,,
    Kuldeep

I'm testing this now.

[Moderator Note: Link replaced with a link for Mondo Patch article, version release is still the same]
This discussion has been closed.