Quicken Slow and Freezing

Options
lrwheels
lrwheels Member ✭✭
I am using Quicken Premier for Windows versionr41.10, build: 27.1.41.10 using Windows 10 Enterprise.

I have been using Quicken for many, many years and my file is big. I am having SO many problems with it for the last several months. It is SO slow processing almost any transaction and it freezes VERY often. I have tried archiving anything before 1/1/18 and that did lower the file size by almost half. Still, if I try to run a verification on the file or a super verification, it freezes when it is verifying stock splits. I have downloaded transactions for my Vanguard account, but every time i try to accept one it freezes. The same thing happens with my Charles Schwab retirement account. I am having to download them from the bank site, as download in Quicken for any of my brokerage files no longer works. My memory with Quicken running is at less than 40% capacity. My data file is on the D: drive (not OneDrive, etc.). I have tried downloading Quicken multiple times. That doesn't help.

Bills in Bill Manager don't always update. Sometimes they do.

Certain of my Morgan Stanley transactions twice have disappeared, like ones from Dec. 2020 and January 2021, not recent ones.

Ugh!! Assuming it's a data corruption issue, but don't know how to fix. I've tried copying file and that created even more crazy problems, like vault of password setups disappeared.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @Irwheels,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

Since you mentioned that your data file is stored on D drive, please be advised that this is still considered an external drive. We recommend storing Quicken on the local C drive to avoid data file corruption issues as such issues can occur when storing data files on external drives (even if the external drive is not cloud-based).

By default, Quicken data files are stored in the following pathway; C:\Users\"Username"\Documents\Quicken (see illustration below).

We recommend moving your data file to a C drive folder and seeing if doing so may help resolve the issues you are experiencing.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• lrwheels
    lrwheels Member ✭✭
    Options
    I moved it. There is no change.
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    Thank you for your response.

Next, have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken? Please refer to the following support articles for instructions on uninstalling here and reinstalling here.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• lrwheels
    lrwheels Member ✭✭
    Options
    I had reinstalled multiple times from Quicken.com before, but I did it again following your specific instructions. Nothing changed. I still have the same problems.
  • lrwheels
    lrwheels Member ✭✭
    Options
    Any other ideas? Can you look at my file to see if you can see anything? I had thought about deleting one of the main brokerage accounts then readding it to see if that fixed it, but I would lose my history if i do that.
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    Thank you for following up, though I apologize for the delay in my response.

Next, I recommend that you please try uninstalling once more, except before reinstalling, please open your Windows File Explorer and navigate to This PC > C: Drive > Program Files (x86) and delete the folder titled "Quicken" (doing so does not affect your data files). After you have deleted this folder, go ahead and try reinstalling again.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• lrwheels
    lrwheels Member ✭✭
    Options
    I actually did that last time. It did not work until I did that.
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    lrwheels said:
    I actually did that last time. It did not work until I did that.
    Apologies if I'm misunderstanding, could you please clarify; did doing so fix the issues experienced?

-Quicken Anja

• lrwheels
    lrwheels Member ✭✭
    Options
    No. what worked was the reinstall. The program is still hanging up if I try to accept a transaction or verify the file.
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    Thank you for clarifying!

In that case then next, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• lrwheels
    lrwheels Member ✭✭
    Options
    OK. I had tried this before, but what you said would happen happened, so I thought the copy had just screwed up. I will try it again. Yikes! I've got lots of connections, but it will definitely be worth it if it works!! I'll let you know.
  • lrwheels
    lrwheels Member ✭✭
    Options
    Bummer!! I did the copy, picked to use the new file and only connected the Vanguard brokerage account. When I tried to accept 1 bought transaction, it froze. Next idea? (Thanks so much for sticking with this for me!) I will go back and open the other file I guess.
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    Thank you for following up again, though I'm sorry to hear that failed to resolve the issues.

At this point, I recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support directly for further assistance. Our support agents may be required to seek Tier 2 assistance if they see fit.

I apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• drmike
    drmike Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same problem. Same attempts to fix with no success. 7/6/22. Problem started after July 4th weekend.
This discussion has been closed.