Fidelity Downloads Of Options Transactions

saberman
saberman Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭✭
I purchased and sold an option. When I downloaded transactions from Fidelity the entries were:
Purchased Expired Option
Sold Expired Option
They also had the wrong descriptions.
I bought and sold the option before it expired. However, the download was performed a few days after the options expired.

When I downloaded the transaction from Fidelity to Excel, they looked right. The security id is correct as is the description of the securities.

How do I get the correct transactions into Quicken?

Comments

• saberman
    I forgot to say I contacted Fidelity, and they sent me a link to Quicken support.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's how to correct the downloaded entries:  Delete them and enter them manually on the appropriate dates as a ShtSell followed by a CvrShrt.  You can establish the Security before making the entries (Tools > Security List > Add Security) or establish the security as part of the first transaction entry.  In the Clr column establish these transactions as cleared.
    Broadly speaking, I'd advise NOT having downloaded transactions automatically entered into Transaction List for Investment Accounts.  Have downloaded transactions show up in the downloaded transactions window where you can catch mistakes. 
  • saberman
    They are in the downloaded transactions windows but they are coming in wrong. If I download the Fidelity transactions to Excel they look correct. Quicken is fouling them u[.
  • Tom Young
    edited July 2022
    Maybe you can post a picture of how these transactions look in the Downloaded Transactions window?  Have you tried accepting them to see if they show up correctly in the Transaction List?
    Fidelity seems to use Direct Connect (DC) to send information to Quicken.  DC requires that the sending Financial Institution (FI) code the information using the OFX schema, and that's what Quicken receives.  The Quicken program essentially just moves the information it's received from the FI into the appropriate spots in the program based how the FI coded the information.  This is a very, very reliable method of transmitting information, widely used by FIs, so that suggests to me that Fidelity is coding the transactions improperly, somehow, if the accepted transactions don't come into the Transaction List properly.
    I assume that when you download the transactions into Excel you're doing that using some download function at the Fidelity web-site and specifying that you want the download in the Excel format, or CSV format, or something?  I would expect that information downloaded that way would not be  coming out of the OFX log.  If you look into your OFX log you'll see that each transaction typically runs to several lines of code, making the OFX log difficult to decipher.   So it's really not clear, at this point, that Quicken actually is fouling up the downloaded transactions.
  • saberman
    > If you look into your OFX log
    What OFX log? Where is it?
  • Tom Young
    Help > Log Files > OFX logs
  • saberman
    Don't see it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    The menu location has changed:
    Help -> Contact Support -> Log Files -> OFX Log
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • saberman
    Response was: Sorry, something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again.
    If you get this message my network connection is fine.
This discussion has been closed.