Quicken Consistently Crashes When Scrolling Thru Bills & Income Tab

Options
markus1957
markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
Resurrecting this issue because previous discussions have been closed without resolution. I have over 80 manual reminders scheduled to assist in accurately projecting cash balances. Nearly always while scrolling thru the list it will crash; sometimes it waits to crash until clicking on a specific reminder to edit.

The old Manage Bill & Income Reminders pop-up window from the Tools menu works without issue. It is only the relatively new UI in the Tab that crashes.

Clean re-installs, validations, File Copy have no impact. I suspect the number of reminders is significant because the window scrolling is jerky once getting to bottom of the window.

A Bugsplat error report window is generated after the crash. The Windows event log spawns the following .NET Runtime exception error-

Application: qw.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherTimer.set_Interval(System.TimeSpan) at System.Windows.Controls.PopupControlService.ShowToolTip(System.Windows.DependencyObject, Boolean) at System.Windows.Controls.PopupControlService.PromotePendingToolTipToCurrent(TriggerAction) at System.Windows.Controls.PopupControlService+<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<BeginShowToolTip>b__0(System.Object, System.EventArgs) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherTimer.FireTick(System.Object) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl() at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object) at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(System.Object) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object) at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr) at <Module>._WinMainCRTStartup() 

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    When I initially viewed this tab, all was fine. Once a changed to other views (stacked or calendar) I too was greeted with crashes so it would not seem to be data related.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    For what it may be worth, we have 92 manual reminders and do not have any crashes while using the Bills, Income & Transfers view using R41.19 on Windows 10 Home 21H2.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We only have 20 reminders and as such barely have to scroll, and don't see this problem.  But then again, I had to go to that screen to just as a test since I never go there for my own use.  I always just us Ctrl+J to go to the old list.

I notice in the crash dump that what is actually in the tool tip code and has an out-of-range error in one of its arguments.

The tool tip are those little messages that popup when you hover over some control.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • markus1957
    Options
    FWIW, some time ago I disabled the .NET 3.5 features in Win 10 and now 11. Just wondering if maybe some old Quicken code is not quite backwards compatible with .NET 4.8 in current Win10/11 installs. @Sherlock, do you have the .NET 3.5 feature enabled?

The tool tip comment makes sense for the error log posted as I was about to click edit on a reminder. Other times it just seems to crash when scrolling.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FWIW, some time ago I disabled the .NET 3.5 features in Win 10 and now 11. Just wondering if maybe some old Quicken code is not quite backwards compatible with .NET 4.8 in current Win10/11 installs. @Sherlock, do you have the .NET 3.5 feature enabled?

The tool tip comment makes sense for the error log posted as I was about to click edit on a reminder. Other times it just seems to crash when scrolling.
    Affirmative:

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I don't have .Net 3.5 enabled and I don't have any issues with crashes or performance with the Bills & Income tab.  I have 79 Bills.  To test, I scrolled up and down the bill & income list and randomly went in and out of reminders without any issues.  I did this for both in the "old" and "new" lists.
  • markus1957
    Options
    @Damian Do you have Bills & Income combined in the tab?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @markus1957 - Yes I do.  I have never had them separated since the option to combine them was restored.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would expect a completely different kind of error if Quicken called .Net 3.5 and it wasn't installed.

For what it worth I don't have .Net 3.5 installed and I will point this out in your stack dump:
    Application: qw.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @Damian so what happens when you select and explore the other options? I did not experience any crashes until I selected each of these.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    @geoffg - I changed views, both in the "old" and "new" lists and it works just fine for me.  No issues with crashes or performance.  I even randomly selected different views, due dates, and bill type, and still no issues with crashing or performance.
  • markus1957
    Options
    Investigating this a little further, it seems the error is more prone to occur if after opening Quicken and navigating around tabs other than Bills & Income, performing an OSU, opening an account register, but then later going to Bills & Income tab for the first time in the session. It is then I notice the clunky scrolling behavior and crash if trying to select from one of the pull-down menu options in the screen.

If I immediately go to the Bills & Income tab after opening Quicken and scroll/navigate around the Bills & Income view, it seems to behave for the remainder of the session even after navigating other tabs/registers and then returning to Bills & Income. Behaving like a memory leak or some other exhaustion of resources.
  • markus1957
    Options
    I may have stumbled into a fix. I have turned off .NET advanced features in Windows. I found a .NET repair tool from Microsoft and ran it. Also turned on animation in Quicken preferences. Since then, I have not crashed Bills & Income tab. I'm guessing it was the repair tool.
    Repair the .NET Framework - .NET Framework | Microsoft Docs
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @markus1957 well done! I implemented your suggested fixes and put Bills & Income through a rigorous stress test. No crashing.
This discussion has been closed.