Bank Transactions not auto matching in Quicken for Mac

Options
jborn
jborn Member
I use quicken for Mac, annual subscription, and just updated to the newest release. I bank with Bank of America and recently my manual entries are no longer matching with the dowloaded transactions from the Bank. For my Visa card, this is a HUGE issue as it takes me forever to remove duplicates. Am I missing a setting or is this a new issue with Quicken?

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Hello @jborn,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Please take a moment to review this support article regarding matching transactions in Quicken for Mac.

As stated in the article, if the transactions are not automatically being matched, then you can drag and drop downloaded transactions to the matching manual entry transaction to match them. Doing so also "teaches" the program to remember the match for future downloads.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jborn
    jborn Member
    Options
    Thank you. So that I understand clearly, Quicken does NOT auto match like older version (typically based on the total amount or vendor name)? It only matches if I manually match them and will learn over time? Once it learns will it automatically match?
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    It should automatically match based on date, payee name, and amount. However, sometimes it doesn't always recognize the match in which case you would use the manual matching process to teach the program.

I hope this clarifies things!

-Quicken Anja

• Dan R NC
    Dan R NC Member ✭✭
    Options
    I've been using Quicken Deluxe for Windows for decades and decided to give Quicken for Mac a try. Yesterday was the first time I tried downloading transactions from my bank. The result was highly unexpected. I wasn't expecting things to be so different, but I guess I should have.

At any rate, there were numerous transactions that did not match, and a handful that did match automatically. I read some posts and the support article referenced above about manually matching transactions by dragging one on top of the other.

THAT DIDN"T WORK. All it did was put one transaction below the other. If I held it steady over the other transaction, all I got was a white/grey circle with a slash through it.

I tried holding down the Shift, Option, and Command keys (one at a time) along with moving and none of that worked either. Which transaction should be dragged to the other? Do I drag the downloaded transaction or the manually entered transaction (which is the one with the most correct information)?

The transactions have the same date and are for the same amount. They don't have the same Payee or Category, which if they did, they likely wouldn't need to be manually matched.

Where do I go from here? Since manual matching doesn't seem to be working, do I just delete the matching transactions?

Q Mac Version 6.8.2 (Build 608.44865.100)
    Mac OS 12.4
    Q Mac User Day 4
  • Dan R NC
    Dan R NC Member ✭✭
    Options
    I've been using Quicken Deluxe for Windows for decades and thought I'd give Quicken for Mac a try. Yesterday was the first time I tried downloading transactions from my bank. I was shocked at the results. I wasn't expecting that Q Mac would automatically try to match transactions. I guess that might be helpful once a Q Mac workflow is established, but it was a disaster for me. I have numerous matching transactions. Some were indeed matched, but more than 50% were not.

Turning to this forum, I found a couple of posts and the support article referenced above about dragging one transaction on top of the other. Unfortunately, THAT DID NOT WORK. The only thing it did was to move one transaction next to the other. What I saw was a white/grey circle with a slash through it.

The transactions had the same Date and same Amount, but different Payee and Category.

I tried holding down the shift, option, and command keys (one at a time) while moving a transaction, but that made no difference. Which transaction should be moved? The "correct" (manually entered) one, or the downloaded one?

So, where do I go from here? Do I delete the downloaded transaction and move on? Do I wait for a fix by Quicken or better instructions?

I appreciate any help.

Quicken Deluxe Mac Version 6.8.2 (Build 608.44865.100)
    macOS 12.4
    Q Mac New User Day 4
  • Dan R NC
    Dan R NC Member ✭✭
    Options
    Let me add a few things for troubleshooting purposes.

1. Like I said, this was the first time I downloaded transactions into Q Mac from my bank. The last time I did it in Q Win was probably the middle of June.
    2. When I downloaded into Q Mac, what came back was a bunch of transactions, the earliest of which was April.
    3. As I am a new Q Mac user, most of the transactions in the register have a blue dot next to them, which I have found out means they haven't been "reviewed". Maybe not in Q Mac, but they had been in Q Win. I have not entered any new Bank transactions into Q Mac yet.
    4. After downloading, transactions that are dated after June 13 have a blue pencil next to them, which I think means they've been matched by Q Mac. There is only one transaction that has an orange pencil, and that is one that is a voided check, and obviously, can't be matched since there was no real transaction (unfortunately, I can't get Q Mac to accept a Payee of VOID, even though Q Win has no problem with that Payee, so any hints as to how to get that to work would be great).

So, it looks like the matching problem is contained between April and mid-June.
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    Hello @Dan R NC,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and adding to this discussion, though I apologize for the trouble you have experienced with matching transactions so far.

First, I'd like to provide you with this Help Article which explains what all of the icons mean in front of each transaction as these will help you distinguish what type of transaction each one is (manual, downloaded, matched, etc).
    Dan R NC said:
    Turning to this forum, I found a couple of posts and the support article referenced above about dragging one transaction on top of the other. Unfortunately, THAT DID NOT WORK. The only thing it did was to move one transaction next to the other. What I saw was a white/grey circle with a slash through it.
    It sounds like you may have been attempting to match 2 transactions that were the same type. This happens when both transactions were manual, both were downloaded, or one was manual or downloaded and the other was already matched. The only time manually matching works by dragging and dropping is if one transaction is manual (orange pencil), and the other is downloaded (blue dot). The direction does not matter.

Additionally, if you suspect that a matched transaction (blue pencil) may have possibly been incorrectly matched, you can unmatch them by right-clicking (or control+click on your keyboard) the matched transaction and selecting Reject automatic transaction match or Unmatch transaction in the menu list that pops up after right-clicking. Doing so, will "unmatch" the transaction and separate/split the downloaded transaction from the manual entry.

I hope this provides some clarity! 

Additionally, if you are new to Quicken for Mac, I would like to inform you that you also have the option for a one-on-one tour with our Quicken 1-2-3 team. This team has been specifically trained and put together to assist new users in getting familiarized with the program and learning how to utilize it to fit your needs, as well as answer any questions and/or address any concerns you may have.

If this is something that would interest you, then please let me know and I will be happy to provide you with the phone number via a private message.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• Dan R NC
    Dan R NC Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Anja for your reply.
    So, The majority of my transactions (from back to 2003) have blue dots, and they did before I downloaded transactions from my bank. They were that way from my Q Win file conversion exercise.

Also, transactions between April 2022 and June 12, 2022 have blue dots, and they were ones that were downloaded from my back. These are the ones that were not matched up by Q Mac. Maybe that will be a mystery forever.

So, it looks like the immediate solution to my problem of duplicate transactions between April and June is to go through them and delete the offending transaction, is that correct in your opinion?

Thanks for your help. I will keep track of any other "problems" I have during my new period with Q Mac and if I have any insurmountable challenges, I will let you know about a desire for the 1-on-1 tour.
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    @Dan R NC Thanks for following up! 
    Dan R NC said:
    So, it looks like the immediate solution to my problem of duplicate transactions between April and June is to go through them and delete the offending transaction, is that correct in your opinion?
    It sounds like the volume of duplicate transactions you are currently experiencing is quite large. In which case, yes, I would recommend that the easier solution would be to delete them rather than trying to match. Plus if they all have blue dots - meaning downloaded duplicates - then the option to match would be non-existent.

What I do suggest you do in deleting duplicates - especially with a large number of duplicates - is to hold down the command key on your keyboard while clicking each duplicate transaction. When you do this, you will notice that each transaction you click/select will turn blue without deselecting the previous transaction(s) clicked. This will allow you to delete all selected transactions (highlighted blue) at once rather than needing to delete them one at a time.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.