Ever since the updates starting with R41 downloaded, it has rolled back my backups to October, 2021

Options
jsarp2
jsarp2 Member ✭✭
Around January 2022 a Quicken update release 'broke' my backup files and took them back to October 15, 2021. Quicken support tried to help me, but eventually blamed it on my computer, after sharing screens and manipulating my files. After that I was able to rebuild the files to current around beginning of January. I saved a backup copy on a thumbdrive each time I used Quicken. When having to reopen the program I copied the E drive backup file to my C drive backup file and opened and it worked fine.
Last week when I received an R41 update it turned all of my backup files to 10/15/21. I downloaded Quicken on another computer and tried several older backup files and every single one opens to 10/15/21.
I am at a total loss. Support can't help and now the program is rendered useless unless I am willing to rebuild from 10/15/21 to today. I am not willing to spend that kind of time when I had perfectly good backups from at least weekly since January.

Does ANYONE have any suggestions what to do so I can use Quicken? It's rendered totally useless now as far as I can tell.

Comments

  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @jsarp2 - There usually is another backup location for automatic backups - 

    (C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP)

    You did not mention these backups, so it might be another place to look for backup files.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options

    Please explain in further detail what you mean by "took them back to October 15, 2021."

    -splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

  • jsarp2
    jsarp2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    to Damian- I have YEARS of backups, but -Splasher, when Quicken did an update around mid October, it has completely ruined all of my back up files. I was able to save backups on a D drive, transfer to C drive and open in Quicken. With this last update no matter which backup date I try, ALL of them take me back to the 10/15-21 date that the files were 'ruined'. I'm not sure how else to explain it. That October, 2021 update made all of my backups stop at 10/15/21, with rows and rows of 'blank' transactions that cannot be filled or deleted.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    My interpretation of the issue you've described is your Quicken files are corrupted and any Quicken release since a January 2022 release expresses the corruption as if there have been no transactions since 10/15/2021. 

    After you have reverted the Quicken installation to release that does not express the corruption, I suggest you perform the Copy and Validate Instructions as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows 

    Hopefully, this will correct the Quicken file corruption and enable you to use a current release.
  • jsarp2
    jsarp2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Your description sounds right! i just don't quite understand the rest of your answer. :(
    How do I 'revert the Quicken installation to release that does not express the corruption'?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jsarp2 said:
    Your description sounds right! i just don't quite understand the rest of your answer. :(
    How do I 'revert the Quicken installation to release that does not express the corruption'?
    As I provided in the original discussion:

    To revert to an earlier release, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, update by applying the appropriate patch, and restoring a data file saved prior to updating from the earlier patch release.  Normally, I would provide a link to the Quicken Support page on the clean uninstall however, Quicken Support decided to archive the page mistakenly thinking it was no longer needed.  Here's a link to the page as saved on Internet Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20210510044051/https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken  If you did not preserve an earlier installation program, you may download the US subscription version at: https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/install-for-quicken-2018---subscription.html  To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the appropriate patch from:https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has or http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

    To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
  • jsarp2
    jsarp2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sherlock, Here's what happens when I follow the instructions from the first Archive file above - 'using qcleanui-uninstall-quicken.
    First of all, I'm using subscription Quicken with latest release. That's what I'm trying to clean uninstall.
    I followed the directions above (more than once) and here's what happened.

    I downloaded the 2 files to a desktop file. I clicked on 'QcleanUI.exe' and before answering 'yes' or 'no' to whether I want to continue the message above it says:

    "This tool Helps cleaning the operating system for any installed version of quicken
    Supported version of Quicken 97 to Quicken 2018"

    So I click on 'yes' to continue and get this message:

    "MSIClean32.exe is required for QClean to run propertly. Please make sure that MSIClean32.exe is in the same directory as this tool.

    QClean will now exit."

    It says the tool is for versions up to 2018, so is there another way to 'clean' uninstall the latest Quicken version installed? Apparently this one only uninstalls up to 2018.

    Am I doing something wrong?

    Thanks!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    from the above Archived link -

    Download and use QCleanUI

    1. Back up your Quicken data. If you're unable to open Quicken to do so, you can skip this step and continue.
    2. Uninstall Quicken with the Add/Remove Programs feature through your computer's Control Panel. If you don't see Quicken in the list of programs, continue to Step 3.  
    3. Create a new folder on your desktop (right-click on your desktop and select New > Folder).
    4. Click MSICLEAN.exe and save the file to the new folder.
    5. Click QcleanUI.exe and save the file to the SAME new folder. 
    6. In the new folder, double-click QcleanUI.exe.
    7. Select Clean all versions, and then click CleanNote: QcleanUI may take several minutes to complete its task. When finished, you may see the error message highlighted below. You can disregard this error and continue with the process.

  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jsarp2 said:
    Sherlock, Here's what happens when I follow the instructions from the first Archive file above - 'using qcleanui-uninstall-quicken.
    First of all, I'm using subscription Quicken with latest release. That's what I'm trying to clean uninstall.
    I followed the directions above (more than once) and here's what happened.

    I downloaded the 2 files to a desktop file. I clicked on 'QcleanUI.exe' and before answering 'yes' or 'no' to whether I want to continue the message above it says:

    "This tool Helps cleaning the operating system for any installed version of quicken
    Supported version of Quicken 97 to Quicken 2018"

    So I click on 'yes' to continue and get this message:

    "MSIClean32.exe is required for QClean to run propertly. Please make sure that MSIClean32.exe is in the same directory as this tool.

    QClean will now exit."

    It says the tool is for versions up to 2018, so is there another way to 'clean' uninstall the latest Quicken version installed? Apparently this one only uninstalls up to 2018.

    Am I doing something wrong?

    Thanks!
    It appears you may not have downloaded MSIClean32.exe into the same new folder as QcleanUI.exe as instructed.

    Note: Quicken 2018 is the Quicken subscription release.
  • jsarp2
    jsarp2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    As stated above, yes, they are in the same folder.
    "This tool Helps cleaning the operating system for any installed version of quicken
    Supported version of Quicken 97 to Quicken 2018" - from message above.

    Is there a cleaner for the subscription version 2021??
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no Quicken 2021.  Since 2018, it has been subscription and if your subscription is active, you get updates to the program.  The year is just put on the packaging as part of marketing and how old the activation code in the package is, it has nothing to do with the version/build of Quicken.  Anything after 2017 is subscription.
    The Canadian version made this same transition a year earlier in 2017 to subscription.

    -splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jsarp2 said:
    As stated above, yes, they are in the same folder.
    "This tool Helps cleaning the operating system for any installed version of quicken
    Supported version of Quicken 97 to Quicken 2018" - from message above.

    Is there a cleaner for the subscription version 2021??
    Then, there must be some other reason the QCleanUI.exe program is not finding the MSIClean21.exe program.

    Again, Quicken 2018 will clean the Quicken subscription, if you can figure out why your QCleanUI.exe program is not finding the MSIClean21.exe program.

    You may certainly risk that simply uninstalling the Quicken subscription is sufficient.
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Isn't there an update that automatically does a Qclean.Ul when you reinstall Quicken? I'm wondering if there's an issue with that.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    jsarp2 said:
    As stated above, yes, they are in the same folder.

    I downloaded the 2 files to a desktop file. 

    Since we can’t see your screen, and you stated that you downloaded the 2 files to the desktop - are they both in a FOLDER together ?
      With the exact names, unchanged ? 

  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TTSguy said:
    Isn't there an update that automatically does a Qclean.Ul when you reinstall Quicken? I'm wondering if there's an issue with that.
    Yes, there was an update to the subscription installation program that supposedly would perform the equivalent clean uninstall as it installs which is why Quicken Support mistakenly thought the page was no longer needed.  And, yes, there are multiple issues with that which have been discussed elsewhere: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7912437/anyone-knows-what-happened-to-the-qcleanui-link

    Note: The clean uninstall functionality is not in the early version of the installation program. 

    I advise following the earlier guidance.

This discussion has been closed.