I am purchasing a new Mac Computer and moving from Windows, so...

Options
ddschur
ddschur Member ✭✭
I am currently using Quicken 2017 Premier and need to determine which version of Quicken for Mac to purchase. My question is: do I have to purchase the same version of Quicken (Premier) for Mac as what I have with my current Windows machine or can I purchase the Deluxe edition? If I get Deluxe what is compromised???

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    You do not need to purchase the same edition of Mac that you have for Win.  There is one software for QW and one software for QM and each of them includes all of the different editions.  The subscription you purchase will tell the software which edition you have and will turn on or off the applicable features/functions.
    To get an idea of what will be different between QW and QM and between Premier and Deluxe, I suggest you review the product comparisons chart at https://www.quicken.com/product-selector.  The check marks are pretty obvious in showing the feature/function differences between Deluxe and Premier.  But be sure to not overlook the asterisks (*, **).  One asterisk means that it is a QW feature/function only.  Two asterisks means that it is a QM feature/function only.  No asterisk means that it is a feature/function that is common to both QW and QM.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @ddschur Adding to the reply from @Boatnmaniac above, at the current time, there is very, very little difference between a Deluxe and Premier subscription with the Mac software. Unlike on Windows, all the investment features and all the reports are available with Deluxe. That may be starting to change, as the last release contains one niche report which requires Premier, the first time there has been such a split in Quicken Mac. I'm just guessing that some new features may be introduced in the future which will require Premier, but as of now, that's not the case.

Currently, the benefits of Premier over Deluxe with Quicken Mac are that (a) you get a priority phone line to call Quicken Support to bypass the queue of non-Premier callers, (b) you get a limited number of QuickPay and CheckPay bill payment transactions included each month, ands (c) the new Foreign Bank Accounts Report. For the vast majority of users, there's no advantage to Premier over Deluxe on the Mac. Again, I think we'll see that change over time, but if you start with Deluxe and decide you want to switch to Premier, you can upgrade your subscription. 

(I'd note that the comparison chart is relatively useful, but it has a number of errors regarding Quicken Mac which several of us have repeatedly pointed out to Quicken, but they ignore fixing.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes to Turbo Tax 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    You do not need to purchase the same edition of Mac that you have for Win.  There is one software for QW and one software for QM and each of them includes all of the different editions.  The subscription you purchase will tell the software which edition you have and will turn on or off the applicable features/functions.
    To get an idea of what will be different between QW and QM and between Premier and Deluxe, I suggest you review the product comparisons chart at https://www.quicken.com/product-selector.  The check marks are pretty obvious in showing the feature/function differences between Deluxe and Premier.  But be sure to not overlook the asterisks (*, **).  One asterisk means that it is a QW feature/function only.  Two asterisks means that it is a QM feature/function only.  No asterisk means that it is a feature/function that is common to both QW and QM.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• ddschur
    ddschur Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the info!!!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @ddschur Adding to the reply from @Boatnmaniac above, at the current time, there is very, very little difference between a Deluxe and Premier subscription with the Mac software. Unlike on Windows, all the investment features and all the reports are available with Deluxe. That may be starting to change, as the last release contains one niche report which requires Premier, the first time there has been such a split in Quicken Mac. I'm just guessing that some new features may be introduced in the future which will require Premier, but as of now, that's not the case.

Currently, the benefits of Premier over Deluxe with Quicken Mac are that (a) you get a priority phone line to call Quicken Support to bypass the queue of non-Premier callers, (b) you get a limited number of QuickPay and CheckPay bill payment transactions included each month, ands (c) the new Foreign Bank Accounts Report. For the vast majority of users, there's no advantage to Premier over Deluxe on the Mac. Again, I think we'll see that change over time, but if you start with Deluxe and decide you want to switch to Premier, you can upgrade your subscription. 

(I'd note that the comparison chart is relatively useful, but it has a number of errors regarding Quicken Mac which several of us have repeatedly pointed out to Quicken, but they ignore fixing.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ddschur
    ddschur Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the info!!!
  • ddschur
    ddschur Member ✭✭
    Options
    One other thing…will the Mac version be compatible with Intuit Turbo tax?
  • volvogirl
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes to Turbo Tax 

• volvogirl
    Options
    I checked my notes.  You can only directly transfer Quicken into the Turbo Tax Windows Desktop program and not to the Online version.  If you need to transfer Quicken to Turbo Tax for Mac or to older Windows tax returns or from an older Quicken version you need to export your Quicken data as a txf file.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-import-from-the-txf-file/00/25642

How to tansfer Quicken to Turbo Tax using a TXF file  

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-transfer-tax-information-quicken-turbotax

This discussion has been closed.