How do I show a stock sale as income

Options
gmdld2124
gmdld2124 Member
edited August 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I've sold stock and then did a withdraw moving some of the proceeds from my brokage to my personal checking. This works fine but how to I show this as a "income" category, so when I run my reports, I see how much income I have from stock sales over the year?

Best Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The sale is a combination of a return of your original purchase amount and a capital gain or loss ,,, but not an "INC" in Quicken's terms.  Have you included your brokerage account in the report?
    And no transfer is ever income.  It doesn't increase your net worth, but only moves funds from one pocket (brokerage) to another (checking).

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    First, from a strict accounting standpoint the proceeds from a sale of stock isn't income.  It's simply the conversion of one asset (a stock) into a different asset (cash).  There is an "income" element is a sale, of course, (gain or loss) but the proceeds per se aren't income.
    A typical Spending report - assuming that the Account in which the sale is made is selected to "feed" information to the report - will show the gain or loss from the sale.  If you want to see amounts transferred out of the Investment Account included as a source of "income" then you need to select that Investment Account as a Category in the customization window and enable "Transfers" under the Advanced tab.  That will show up as "From [Brokerage Account Name]" in the income section of the Spending report.  (You probably will have to play around with this a bit to work exactly as you want it to.)
    Of course that "double counts" your income to a certain extent - you've got the gain/loss as an income line item as well as the proceeds, and of course this will sweep up all Transfers out of the Investment Account, irrespective of their source, e.g., dividends, interest, returns of capital, etc.
    If I wanted to know how much "spending money" I've used that originated only from security sales I'd probably instead run an Investment Transactions report with only Sold actions selected for the report, then compare the "Cash" total of that report to the amount transferred out of the Account to my checking Account.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    “how to I show this as a "income" category, so when I run my reports, I see how much income I have from stock sales over the year?“

To see the short term and long term capital gains and losses that might net out to taxable income from taxable accounts, use the Capital Gains Reports. 

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The sale is a combination of a return of your original purchase amount and a capital gain or loss ,,, but not an "INC" in Quicken's terms.  Have you included your brokerage account in the report?
    And no transfer is ever income.  It doesn't increase your net worth, but only moves funds from one pocket (brokerage) to another (checking).

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First, from a strict accounting standpoint the proceeds from a sale of stock isn't income.  It's simply the conversion of one asset (a stock) into a different asset (cash).  There is an "income" element is a sale, of course, (gain or loss) but the proceeds per se aren't income.
    A typical Spending report - assuming that the Account in which the sale is made is selected to "feed" information to the report - will show the gain or loss from the sale.  If you want to see amounts transferred out of the Investment Account included as a source of "income" then you need to select that Investment Account as a Category in the customization window and enable "Transfers" under the Advanced tab.  That will show up as "From [Brokerage Account Name]" in the income section of the Spending report.  (You probably will have to play around with this a bit to work exactly as you want it to.)
    Of course that "double counts" your income to a certain extent - you've got the gain/loss as an income line item as well as the proceeds, and of course this will sweep up all Transfers out of the Investment Account, irrespective of their source, e.g., dividends, interest, returns of capital, etc.
    If I wanted to know how much "spending money" I've used that originated only from security sales I'd probably instead run an Investment Transactions report with only Sold actions selected for the report, then compare the "Cash" total of that report to the amount transferred out of the Account to my checking Account.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    “how to I show this as a "income" category, so when I run my reports, I see how much income I have from stock sales over the year?“

To see the short term and long term capital gains and losses that might net out to taxable income from taxable accounts, use the Capital Gains Reports. 
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    You can also run an "Income/Expense by Category" report and make sure to include your investment accounts. Those are not included by default in that report. Then you should see _RlzdGain and its related investment categories.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.