Is it possible to download just one account to a flashdrive? If so, how?

Options
Jim
Jim Member ✭✭
I have many different type accounts on quicken 2018, windows 10.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are multiple ways to download just one account to a flashdrive.  The question is what is the intended use.  For example, we may export an account in QIF format: select File > File Export > QIF File...
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What do you intend to do with this single Quicken Account ? 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please clarify what you mean.  Do you want to download a single account from a financial institution into Quicken?  Or do you mean that you want to export a single account from Quicken?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Jim
    Jim Member ✭✭
    Options
    I want to download one account and upload this one account to quicken on another computer
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    As mentioned by @Sherlock above:  File > File Export > QIF File.  This will bring up a popup where you can name the QIF file and select where to save it, you can select the Account you want to export, the date range to be exported and a few other things.
    Once the QIF file is exported you can save it directly to the thumb drive and then import it from there into Quicken on the other computer:  File > File Import > QIF File.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @jim - if that is the case you best bet is @sherlock 's suggestion to use a QIF file.

Before you do anything, please make a backup of both data files.
    • I would manually set up the account in the other data file first.
    • The account name in the original and new data files has to match exactly.
    • Then, I would create a QIF export file from the original data file.  Choose the account from the drop-down list.
    • Make sure that "Transactions" is the only option marked.
    • The destination should be your flashdrive.
    • Insert your flashdrive into the other computer.
    • In the new data file, import the QIF file.  Choose the account from the drop-down list, with "Transactions" as the only option marked.
    • If you get a message - "Unrecognized Category/Tag" - do you want to create new Category/tag entries? - just answer "Yes"
    Any transfers in the account will be broken in the new data file and have a transfer account [unspecified account].  These transfers would need to be updated with a new category or relinked to a new transfer account.
  • Jim
    Jim Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @jim  just tried - had never performed this .... here's a couple of nits from @Damian instructions above
    - Exported a Quicken Account to QIF
    - closed that QDF file - and opened a different testing file... totally different Account names
    - then Imported to this test file - tried the <all accounts> - nope - need to point to an import account
    - just picked a randomly named test account - and it started... ok ...
    - warning - "Unrecognized Category/Tag" - do you want to create new Category/tag entries ?
    - answer YES - and it imported and all looks ok -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    @jim I added the additional step per @PS56k2's testing, to the instructions in my post above.  

- warning - "Unrecognized Category/Tag" - do you want to create new Category/tag entries ?
    - answer YES - and it imported and all looks ok -

Thanks @PS56k2.  Let me know if missed anything or misread your notes.
This discussion has been closed.