Trouble tracking T- Bills

Options
dnovak3
dnovak3 Member ✭✭
edited September 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I followed instructions from Tom Young superuser May 1
When I bought one t-bill for 100,000 I paid 99,903.56. In the buy bonds window, if I enter the total cost I paid it automatically enters price 9990.356 and shows as 10 bonds. If I enter the price for one bond 99,903.56 it automatically enters the total cost of 999,035.60. How am I not doing this correctly?

When I use the sell bond window, I must use the price 9990.356 , 10 shares, the correct interest 96.44 to get back to my original 100,000 t-bill value

Thanks to whomever may help me with this.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you haven't already, I suggest you review: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/How+bonds+are+priced
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This will work:

• dnovak3
    dnovak3 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you I now understand how to record a bought bond in quicken.

I've then gone to Bonds sold, entered the amounts, put in the interest of $96.44 and saved. I notice that in the treasury investment account that I work from the interest entry is recorded as: Action: MiscExpX, the description is _Accrued Int and the money is transferred to my checking account as planned, but labelled an expense. How do I keep track of the interest earned and labelled as "Interest Government Securities" and have it show up in the investment income report?

Thanks again,
    Dennis
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's one way of getting this right. 
    First, at the maturity date record an IntInc action for the $96.44, specifying the T-Bill as the security.  Next, sell the T-Bill at the same price as your purchase price, for no gain or loss.  Those two transactions will put the cash of $100,000 into the Account.  Then transfer the cash back to your checking Account.
  • dnovak3
    dnovak3 Member ✭✭
    Options
    How would I record a T-bill that matures and gets reinvested for the same amount, ie $100,000, but at a different interest rate?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Probably as 2 transactions.  A Sell and then Buy a new one.  The sell will give you cash in the account that you use to buy the new one.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.