One Step Update Errors

Options
The last several times that I have completed the one step update, my Quicken files for checking and savings accounts have been messed up requiring adjustments to balance.
Help.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "messed up" in what sense/manner?  All financial institutions?  Or just some?  If some, which?
    And, what Q product, and BUILD of that product, are you running?  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, for the affected accounts:  What is the connection method?  Direct Connect or Express Web Connect?  (You can get this will be shown near the top of the account register screens directly beneath the Account Name.)

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• Wesley S Patterson
    Options
    Running Deluxe, Version R42.19; build 27.1.42.19
  • Wesley S Patterson
    Options
    Problem accounts are Wells Fargo (mostly checking and less frequently savings)
  • Wesley S Patterson
    Options
    Using Express Web connect.
  • Wesley S Patterson
    Options
    Also I have set my paycheck to be manual entry but it always automatically enters payday date. I have deleted my paycheck series and reentered them several times now.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    Problem accounts are Wells Fargo (mostly checking and less frequently savings)

Using Express Web connect.
    Express Web Connect (EWC) with WF has a long history of being problematic.  Fortunately WF also supports Direct Connect (DC) which is much less problematic and it is a much faster connection.  Even more fortunately, WF no longer charges a monthly fee for connecting with DC.
    To upgrade your connection from EWC to DC:
    • Back up your data file before proceeding.
    • Make note of the Opening Balance transactions (both dates and amounts) for each of your WF accounts.  You might need this information later.
    • Delete the manually entered account balancing transactions.
    • Tools > Account List > in the Transaction Download column for one of your WF accounts (it does not matter which WF account) click on the link for Improve Connection > Direct Connect > Next > follow the prompts.
    • During the setup process, if Quicken prompts it, make sure to Link the downloads to your existing WF accounts in Quicken.  (If you do not do this, Quicken might instead set the downloads up as new accounts in Quicken.)
    • This process might enter transactions into your WF accounts that are duplicates of what was previously entered.  All duplicate transactions will need to be manually deleted.
    • Check the Opening Balance transactions of each of the accounts.  If they are different (they might not be) from what you wrote down earlier, correct them to match what you wrote down earlier.
    • Look for any other Opening Balance transaction(s) in the account registers.  If they are present, they will likely be somewhere in the 30-90 days window prior to today.  The easiest way to find them is to click on the earliest transaction in the account (the original Opening Balance transaction) and then click on the Payee column header.  This will sort the column by Payee in alphabetical order and any/all Opening Balance transactions will show up next to each other.  If there is more than one Opening Balance transaction (there might not be), keep the oldest dated transaction and delete the others.
    • Click on the Date column header to sort the register by date.
    Is the account balance now accurate?

• Wesley S Patterson
    Options
    Do I need to set up a new Direct Connect user ID and password with WF?
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Do I need to set up a new Direct Connect user ID and password with WF?
    No.  Just use your online account log in credentials.

• Wesley S Patterson
    Options
    It's not letting me connect. Sorry, We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)
  • Wesley S Patterson
    Options
    Indicates that I have entered an invalid user ID or password. But it is correct as I just logged into WF online.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @Wesley S Patterson - try logging in to the link below and then go back into Quicken to set up your WF accounts with DC.  I think you will have 10 minutes or so to complete the setup.  Also, ignore the messages regarding a possible fee.  Wells Fargo does not charge for DC.

http://www.wellsfargo.com/fmssetup

If you still have issues with changing your accounts from EWC to DC, I suggest calling Wells Fargo Online Customer Service.  Just search for "Quicken questions" and you will find the phone number on that page.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I just tried upgrading a WF account EWC connection I have in a test file to DC.  I also tried adding a new WF DC connection in another test file.  I got the following error message which sounds like what you described. 
    I was able to successfully run OSU with WF DC in my main data file.
    I also was able to log into my online account successfully. 
    When this happens, especially on weekends, it is often an indicator that the Financial Institution may be doing some system maintenance and might have temporarily restricted some types of accesses.  This is not something that is uncommon. 
    The best thing to do at this point is to try to set up DC again later today or tomorrow when the system maintenance will likely be completed.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    @boatnmaniac - if you read the fine print in the screen print you provided it states to log into http://www.wellsfargo.com/fmssetup.  Please see my response above, before yours.
  • Wesley S Patterson
    Options
    Cannot log into the fmssetup. Will not allow me to enter the required security code. Also every time I exit the Quicken Community, the log in will not accept my log in credentials requiring me to reset my password. Ugh...both Quicken and WF leave much to be desired.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @Wesley S Patterson - I would then call Wells Fargo Online Customer Service.  I wouldn't try logging in again before you do, as you can easily get locked out.  Please report back after you call WF.  I would be curious to know what the issue is.  You are not the first person who tried to change from EWC to DC and had issues doing do.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Damian said:
    @boatnmaniac - if you read the fine print in the screen print you provided it states to log into http://www.wellsfargo.com/fmssetup.  Please see my response above, before yours.
    (Edit:  Made a correction and clarification.   They are in italics.)
    That link applies to initial setup for access via Quicken, regardless of whether it is via DC or EWC@Wesley S Patterson already has that since he has EWC already set up and can log into his online account so he should not need to go through that process, again.  I also have that since I already have WC, EWC and DC set up in various files and I have online account access set up.  We both got the same error message when trying to set up DC.  It sounds to me like system maintenance.  I have seen this with WF before and it was always due to system maintenance.  If this continues beyond tomorrow morning then maybe something else is going on.

• Wesley S Patterson
    Options
    Ok will do. Got to do some other chores and will be back later. Thx.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options

@boatnmaniac - I think FMSSETUP is used for DC.  Even if the user has connected previously with EWC or WC, the first time they connect with DC they are required to go through the FMSSETUP process.  Even so, there have been other users that have issues with going to DC.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options
    I just tried setting up DC, again, and got the same error message.
    I then tried setting up EWC and it worked (it did not set up when I tried earlier).  But afterward Account Details showed that I still did not have any download method set up. 
    I then went to Account List and it showed the link for an Improved Connection being available so I clicked on that.  It requested my WF login credentials so I entered them and a message popped up that I would need a unique DC login. 
    Without going to WF to get a unique DC login, it then asked me for my login credentials, again.  So I entered the exact same credentials I had used earlier and this time they were accepted.  But I got a message saying that the website require a response from me before the DC setup could be completed.  So I logged into the online account but there was nothing for me to respond to.  While still logged into the account I then went back to Quicken and click on Next and was able to complete the DC setup process. 
    Very weird.  It tends to reinforce for me that they were and perhaps still are doing some system maintenance.  And maybe they are now trying to get something unique for DC implemented...something that was not needed from me in the past.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I set up a new TEST file to make sure I had a file that WF had never been set up in before.  Everything worked the same in this TEST file as per my last post except for:
    1. This time I was not permitted to progress beyond the error message.  So I went to http://www.wellsfargo.com/fmssetup and logged in there using my online account credentials (again, not DC unique).  Then texted me a code that I needed to enter into the website and then click OK.
    2. Then I needed to start the Improved Connection link process all over, again.  When prompted I used my same log in credentials and it did not work.
    3. I repeated #2, again, and this time the connection upgrade to DC worked well.
    What a mess.  Something was going on earlier because I could never get the connection process completed.  Each successive attempt had fewer issues and failures but it still did not work fairly smoothly until just now. 
    @Damian - That all being said, you were right regarding the fmssetup link to authorize DC for WF.  I had upgraded my accounts at WF from EWC to DC when they first removed fees for DC (maybe 1.5-2 yrs ago?).  At that time it was just a simple connection upgrade without needing to do anything on the WF website to authorize DC.  Somewhere along the way WF added this DC authorization step.  WF is not alone in doing this as Citi Cards, Chase, Cap One and PayPal have also changed or added new authorization steps and I'm sure there are others, as well.  
    @Wesley S Patterson - You might want to try setting up DC, now.  Since it finally worked for me it is a good indication that whatever the issue was before has been resolved.  It looks like you will need to have WF authorize DC at http://www.wellsfargo.com/fmssetup as @Damian had mentioned.

• Wesley S Patterson
    Options
    Why is Quicken now requiring me to log in every time I try to do something but it is not accepting my credentials for log in?
  • Wesley S Patterson
    Options
    Now it's locked. Quicken does not appear to be working properly for my online account.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    There are a few things that could be causing this Quicken login issue.  One of the more common reasons is that a version update installation did not complete properly.   You might want to try uninstalling Quicken and then download and install the complete Quicken program from your online Quicken.com account.  During the installation Quicken will prompt you to create a new Quicken file.  Decline that and instead select the option to open your existing file.  You will need to sign in using your Quicken ID and PW but if the new installation fixes the issue you should be prompted to do so, again, in the future.

• Wesley S Patterson
    Options
    Ok...update. Called WF and got help with the direct connect. I couldn't get the set up page to allow me to enter the security code. Turns out there is a glitch. You need to click the word "Code" directly above the field then the cursor appears in the box and you can enter the code. Seems to be working now.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @Wesley S Patterson - Thank you for circling back to us for this information.  This is critical information for anyone trying to get DC setup with Wells Fargo for the first time.
This discussion has been closed.