Quicken 2017 with 14 yrs of data, runs slow. How to delete previous years data after saving copy?

Options
pseiler10
pseiler10 Member
Quicken runs very slow now with so much data, how can i remove previous years data so I only have current year data.?

I will back up data before removing and rename it for future reference. Thank you

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pseiler10 said: Quicken runs very slow now with so much data...
    what do you consider "so much data" - how large is your QDF file ?
    My Quicken QDF file is - 228 MB -
    The size of the data doesn't impact the performance....
    Also, I personally, would never delete any historical data, that's part of the value of Quicken.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• pseiler10
    pseiler10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response PS.

My file is 5,208 KB. I did not intend to remove the data entirely, I was going to create a separate file with everything from the previous 14 years, and then start a new file with the current year.

The issue just started a few months ago, it seems to take 20 seconds or longer to input 1 transaction in the register. Similarly when I switch accounts (10 of them) or backup the file, it takes the same time. You have any ideas on what could be causing this? Or is there some maintenance I need to do? Thanks for your help.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • pseiler10
    pseiler10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding Greg. I am using my hard drive to back up. C:\Users\Patrick\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP\Patrick's Quicken Data.QDF-backup.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Not the backup folder. Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Slow performance?

What type of transaction is slow entering? Banking account register transaction? Investment transaction?

Please provide more details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

What is the file size, in KB, as shown by Windows File Explorer? You already answered 5208 KB

And I'd also like to see the "File Information" window  (See below)

Is any cloud backup software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    What is the complete path and file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

How much total RAM do you have installed?
    How much of the available RAM is in use? Windows Task Manager will give you this information. 80% or higher?

What version of Windows are you running?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:
    - Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of Transactions".
    If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of Transactions" to add the column.

- File Information: Click Help in the Menu Bar. Shift+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only.

To attach the image here please review

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

• pseiler10
    pseiler10 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Thanks UKR.

Path C:\Users\Patrick\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP\Patrick's Quicken Data.QDF-backup.
    No cloud software running
    No investment transactions, only checking, savings registers 10 of them.
    12 GB RAM installed. Using 37% available 63%
    Windows 10 running and not in S mode
    Checking has 2,800 transactions
    Savings has 800 transactions

[Screenshot edited for privacy]
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the information.
    Path C:\Users\Patrick\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP\Patrick's Quicken Data.QDF-backup.
    Why are you always responding with the name of your Backup file?
    Under normal conditions, that means that your active Quicken data file is in
    C:\Users\Patrick\Documents\Quicken\Patrick's Quicken Data.QDF
    Is that correct?
    You did not answer the question about cloud backup software like MS One Drive, Dropbox, etc. Is any of that software running on your computer and, if so, is the software accessing the active QDF data file while Quicken is running?
    I'm sorry to say that the image you provided is not what I asked for.
    I said, "Click Help in the Menu Bar. Shift+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box." It's that File Information box I'm interested in. Please try again, this time press and hold Shift while you click "About Quicken".

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pseiler10 said:  My file is 5,208 KB.
    as compared - that is tiny - 5 MB - vs our own file of - 225 MB -
    BTW - you mentioned "Mode S" - are you running a Microsoft Surface laptop ?
    Here is the ... Help --> Shift+About Quicken

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.