Erroneous duplicate category message

Options
acs2
acs2 Member ✭✭✭
I am trying to add a new expense category that is a subcategory. When I try, it says the subcategory exists. However, when I look at my category list that subcategory is not present. I have show hidden categories turned on.

As I try to create the new subcategory, I scroll to the category I want to place the new expense subcategory I see it name I am trying to add exists. As I said above it is not in the category list and not available when I try to enter a transaction.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @acs2

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue with creating categories. 

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file then attempting to create the subcategory again. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I found the answer. It was an oversight on my part. I had two categories called Mortgage and my new category existed in the wrong Mortgage category. I cannot recall ever making two Mortgage categories so I reviewed all categories and cleaned them up. Btw I had gone through the validation routines before I found my error. Thanks or your time.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @acs2

Thank you for updating us!

I am happy to hear that you were able to reach a resolution to the issue that you were experiencing.

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.