Move Investment Transaction Issues

Options
Rapp
Rapp Member
edited September 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I want to move investment transactions from old brokerage accounts to a newer, single account in the same Quicken file, using move investment transaction button. When I began doing this, things went well with 2 accounts. After this, however, things have quickly gone downhill. Now when I try do this, the following things happen:

1. Some transactions already recorded in the newer account are deleted.
2. Some transactions from the old account are not entered into the new one.
3. All transactions in the old account are deleted.
4. The number of transactions in the new account does not reflect the addition of the moved transactions.
5. There is no way to retrieve the lost transactions other than to restore a backup Quicken file.

Are there any solutions to this issue? Is there a limit in Quicken to the number of investment transactions that can be moved into a new file?

Thanks for any assistance that can be given.

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Perhaps there's an underlying problem here, either with the program or with the data (e.g., some sort of corruption), and I can't really answer your direct question about any limit to the number of investment transactions that can be moved.
    But my advice would be to leave the transactions in the various Accounts where those transactions actually took place and simply transfer the securities out of those Accounts and into you new new "consolidated" Account. That way all your security lot information remains intact in the new Account and if you want to do some sort of analysis like "how did I come to own X number of shares of security Y?" that question is easily answered by a simple Investing Transaction report.
    The real world situation is this: all the transactions associated with the securities you transferred to the new account did in fact occur in real world accounts other than the account in which they now reside.  Why not have Quicken reflect that fact?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Perhaps there's an underlying problem here, either with the program or with the data (e.g., some sort of corruption), and I can't really answer your direct question about any limit to the number of investment transactions that can be moved.
    But my advice would be to leave the transactions in the various Accounts where those transactions actually took place and simply transfer the securities out of those Accounts and into you new new "consolidated" Account. That way all your security lot information remains intact in the new Account and if you want to do some sort of analysis like "how did I come to own X number of shares of security Y?" that question is easily answered by a simple Investing Transaction report.
    The real world situation is this: all the transactions associated with the securities you transferred to the new account did in fact occur in real world accounts other than the account in which they now reside.  Why not have Quicken reflect that fact?
  • Rapp
    Rapp Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. My hope was to move all of these transactions in the old accounts into one account and then delete the empty accounts. However, having these old accounts in my file, even though are no longer needed is not the end of the world.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the reason some people recommend moving the transactions rather than using Shares Transferred Between Accounts to move the current positions is that transferring the shares affects some of Quicken's performance calculations. See for example this discussion
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20061520#Comment_20061520
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.