After archiving transactions from my investment account, it now shows a cash balance

Options
shariemc
shariemc Member ✭✭
edited September 2022 in Investing (Windows)
My investment account does not have a cash balance and this cash balance is not connected to the linked bank account. I cannot update the amount because it is linked to the bank account. I've tried removing it using the linked account, and I've tried removing it by adding transactions in the investment account. I've even tried removing it by transferring it back to the archived account, but everything I try ends up making matters worse. Is anyone aware of this, or is this a known issue that Quicken is working on?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Frankx, I believe the issue here is not the Year end Archive process you describe, but the relatively new archiving of investment transactions, accessed via the Archive Transactions link in an investing account's gear menu.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @shariemc,

To answer your questions - I haven't seen any other similar problems being reported, nor do I have knowledge that this is a problem that other are seeing, or that "Quicken is working" on it.

Perhaps if you give us more information, we may be able to assist you.  Are you saying that this issue appeared only AFTER you archived old transactions (you said files, but I assume you mean old transactions)?  Is it just this one account that has issues or others also?  Have you archived transactions in this account successfully in the past?  Approximately how many transactions were archived in this account?  Did you make a backup before you did the archive?

Get back to us and we'll go from there?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @shariemc -   I'm confused ... between the wording of the topic title and the posted text -
    After archiving old files from my investment account, it now shows a cash balance
    What does even mean - archiving "old files" - do you mean File --> Copy or Backup --> Year End Archive ?? 
    - or do you mean manually deleting transactions from an Account ?
    and it "now shows a cash balance" ?
    vs -
    My investment account "does not have a cash balance"
    and this cash balance is not connected to the linked bank account.....  are these "not" actually typos for "now"  ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• shariemc
    shariemc Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ps56k2 - I used the Archive Transactions option for that account. My investment account does not have a cash balance, but after the Archive Transactions option was completed Quicken made adjustments which added a cash balance. I know this may be confusing, but that is what happened. The linked account I mentioned was setup by Quicken when I created the investment account about 15 years ago. All of the investment account transactions are funneled through that linked account. Anyway, I have given up trying to correct the error and reverted to the backup I made before running the Archive Transactions option. So, thanks for your quick response. I apologize for not being clearer.
  • shariemc
    shariemc Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ps56k2 - PS I am running Quicken Deluxe Subscription, Version R42.21, Build 27.1.42.21, Windows 11 Home
  • shariemc
    shariemc Member ✭✭
    Options
    Frankx - Hi, thank you for your calm response. I have not archived transactions for any of my accounts prior to today. The issue is with just one account. As I recall 270 transactions were archived. These went back to 2008. I've reverted to the backup I made prior to using the Archive Transactions option.

PS I am running Quicken Deluxe Subscription, Version R42.21, Build 27.1.42.21, Windows 11 Home
  • Jim_Harman
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I edited the title of your post to clarify the issue.

Here is another discussion on this topic
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7887285/archive-investment-transactions-cash-balance
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hi again @shariemc

Thanks for the additional information, it is helpful.

Actually, I think you made a good move reverting to a backup file.  I believe that the use of a "linked cash account" with a brokerage/investment account was common many years ago (not so much today) but can cause problems in Quicken. 

And, maybe more to your current situation, I have also seen (and experienced) some issues with the archiving process with investment and other types of accounts.  So I don't archive any more because, other than perhaps reducing the file size and "housekeeping" benefits, it serves no real purpose.  Also I see some advantage in being able to go back to history from time-to- time, and you can't do that with an archived file.  Just some food for thought.

Let me know if you have any followups

Frankx 

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Frankx, I believe the issue here is not the Year end Archive process you describe, but the relatively new archiving of investment transactions, accessed via the Archive Transactions link in an investing account's gear menu.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hi @Jim_Harman,

Sorry - I just took the lead from @Ps56k2 when they posted this "What does even mean - archiving "old files" - do you mean File --> Copy or Backup --> Year End Archive ??"

Either way, I think I made my point.  Just sayin'

Frankx

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    shariemc said: - I used the Archive Transactions option for that account. My investment account does not have a cash balance, but after the Archive Transactions option was completed Quicken made adjustments which added a cash balance. I know this may be confusing, but that is what happened. The linked account I mentioned was setup by Quicken when I created the investment account about 15 years ago. All of the investment account transactions are funneled through that linked account.
    Interesting....  have never used that menu item.....   
    view the Register of an Investment Account --> click upper right gear --> Archive Transactions
    might have to play with it to see the ramifications of any Transfers, etc -
    Have never understood the rationale for any kind of Quicken “archiving” ? As it seems to me to be of value to have and retain ALL my investment transactions in their single historical locations for reference and reporting … 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• shariemc
    shariemc Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ps56k2 - After running the Archive Transactions I agree. Better off just leaving it all in one spot.
This discussion has been closed.