Chase migration - problem downloading to EWC+

Ben
Ben Member ✭✭
My chase accounts stopped downloading, so went to accounts and turned off downloads to chase with the intent of turning it back on and hoping for the best. Now when I go to accounts and try to turn on Download for Chase, Quicken completely freezes. I cannot even close Quicken, I have to go to Task Manager to close Quicken. Help

Answers

• dwkennedy1776
    dwkennedy1776 Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem. I was redirected to a screen where I gave Quicken access to my Chase data, but after that the download wouldn't work. I turned off downloads and then tried to set it up again, but the quicken window greys out and becomes unresponsive. help++
  • dwkennedy1776
    Ben, I called quicken support. however, i am still running windows 7 (quicken is the only app used on this system, so I don't worry about security). The rep can't/won't provide any more guidance until I upgrade to a supported OS. So maybe this is a Win 7 only bug, and may never be fixed?
  • Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭
    I am running Windows11pro
  • dwkennedy1776
    One more comment- instead of using the "set up" button on the existing account, I was able to add a new account, then link it to the old account. there is definitely a bug but this could be a workaround for some people.
  • Michael Winnick
    Michael Winnick Member ✭✭✭
    This is crazy. Today is 8/11/22 at 11:40 CST. Got a notice that I need to use EWC+ to change Quicken to use Chase Connection, their new way to download data on my checking and credit card accounts. But, there is nothing in the email that tells me where to log on and what place or link to use to tell Quicken or Chase what I am trying to do. When I log on to Chase all I see is my normal stuff for my checking account and credit card. When I start Quicken it say's nothing about EWC+ nor is there any menu item I can find to do anything with. This is the most unfriendly user process I have ever seen. Does anyone know, step by step, what to do and where?
  • Byron123
    Byron123 Quicken Windows Subscription Member
    With the change to the Chase connection, I can get logged into Chase, go through the authorization, and when I get back to Quicken I'm offered the ability to create or link the account. However the existing Chase account - with years of transactions - is not in the list of accounts to link. I can create a new account and that seems to work, but the synch is only for the past 89 days and I would lose all my user-added data even for the newer transactions. I need to retain the older transactions, so a new account is not a great solution. I'm running the most current version of Quicken on Windows 10.

Is anyone else running into this issue?
  • BillM0109
    BillM0109 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    So, along that same line, I got an email from Quicken/Chase today (8/10). It said:

"Update your Chase connection now. To continue downloading your Chase banking, Credit Card, or Mortgage accounts, you will need to update the Chase connection in Quicken. Complete the update by September 26, or your Chase accounts will stop refreshing in Quicken. "

No instructions about how to update the connection. In Quicken? At Chase? Both? No instructions in the email. See nothing in Quicken or at Chase. Wait until it breaks and then figure it out?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    Byron123 said:
    I can create a new account and that seems to work, but the synch is only for the past 89 days and I would lose all my user-added data even for the newer transactions.
    You can use the method for moving transactions between accounts:
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    @BillM0109 - looking at the top of your Chase Registers … what download protocol is listed for each - 
    Direct Connect - or Express Web Connect ? 
  • BillM0109
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > @BillM0109 - looking at the top of your Chase Registers … what download protocol is listed for each - 
    > Direct Connect - or Express Web Connect ? 

Express Web Connect
  • taxlitigator
    taxlitigator Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    > @Byron123 said:
    > With the change to the Chase connection, I can get logged into Chase, go through the authorization, and when I get back to Quicken I'm offered the ability to create or link the account. However the existing Chase account - with years of transactions - is not in the list of accounts to link. I can create a new account and that seems to work, but the synch is only for the past 89 days and I would lose all my user-added data even for the newer transactions. I need to retain the older transactions, so a new account is not a great solution. I'm running the most current version of Quicken on Windows 10.
    >
    > Is anyone else running into this issue?

Yes. I have same issue and am looking for a resolution.
  • BrianMD
    BrianMD Quicken Windows Subscription Member
    Me Too! I set up one Chase account the new way and it was fine. Tried the second account and it never completed the connection as far as Quicken was concerned. Chase says the account is set up with a link to Quicken.
    But when I try to activate the online access in my Quicken account the application simply freezes and has to be killed to shut it down.
    Windows 10.
    ...Brian
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    Here comes the LONG thread(s).  I wonder if these will exceed the Capital One/Schwab ones.

Note they have yet to change over the JP Morgan Chase investment accounts, so that should add to the drama!

Personally, I'm staying on Direct Connect until it dies.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BK
    BK Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    And Amex's long threads
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• leland
    leland Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    WORKAROUND I believe I may have found a workaround but before you try it, please backup your data.
    1. create a new account of the type you have at chase, but keep it as an offline account.
    2 deactivate online for the chase account you are upgrading.
    3. Manually set up online service for the new account you created which will take you to the the new chase login page.
    4. Once done on the chase page, you will return to Quicken where you can choose which account to link to.
    This has worked for two different credit card accounts I have with Chase, though there was a glitch in one of them. The initial chase download created a new opening balance for the account which threw everything off when I tried to do a reconciliation. After much searching I found the false opening balance entry and now it works fine.
    If this fails, restore from your backup until someone comes up with something new.
  • triplehjr
    triplehjr Quicken Mac Subscription Member ✭✭
    I don't want a work-around--I want Quicken to make it work!--so far I got email telling me to reset my connection but no way to do it!
  • NKGlenn
    NKGlenn Quicken Windows Subscription Member
    I'm having the same problems. When I update my credit accounts in Chase, it adds funds to my checking account that has never been online. I've contacted Quicken twice and the best idea they can come up with is to lose 20+ years of data and create a new data file. I'm so frustrated.
  • Kevin57
    Kevin57 Quicken Mac 2017 Member
    I'm on a MacBook and have the same problem with Chase accounts. This is so frustrating. Since it's happening on Windows and Macs, this means it is a bigger problem than some small low level bug.
  • maxter
    maxter Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    > @Ben said:
    > My chase accounts stopped downloading, so went to accounts and turned off downloads to chase with the intent of turning it back on and hoping for the best. Now when I go to accounts and try to turn on Download for Chase, Quicken completely freezes. I cannot even close Quicken, I have to go to Task Manager to close Quicken. Help

If you have more than one quicken date file, then rather than killing Quicken, you can do a right click on the Quicken icon in your task bar and select a different database. Quicken will then ask if you want to close the frozen database (click yes). Then quicken will open the alternate database and you are unfrozen without killing Quicken. (but that does not solve the problem of why it froze in the first place).
  • maxter
    maxter Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    > @dwkennedy1776 said:
    > One more comment- instead of using the "set up" button on the existing account, I was able to add a new account, then link it to the old account. there is definitely a bug but this could be a workaround for some people.

Thank you DW. That definitely worked for me. All the accounts did link back up correctly. Immediately after that Quicken crash, but when I restarted Quicken, it seemed to be running correctly and the new data I had just downloaded was not lost.
  • mjonis
    mjonis Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    Fortunately I waited after reading all the horror stories. I followed the advice and it worked mostly OK.
    1) I deactivated online for all my Chase accounts (personal and business credit cards, as well as personal checking).
    2) Probably not needed, but I also went into the details and cleared out the Financial Institution (Chase) and the account number fields.
    3) I then went into the Add New Account as suggested. I used my personal Chase login info first. The part that did NOT go OK (on both business and personal) was the message on the web browser (Firefox in this case) stating I'd be redirected back to Quicken. It does NOT. The Quicken program window itself DOES appear to just "sit there" and not do anything. I found if I waited about 1-2 minutes, it would do whatever it was doing in the background and then say all was linked and give me the summary screen to Link or Add the accounts it found on Chase to what it found in Quicken.

I then repeated the above for my Business accounts/login (separate userid/password). Same thing (all went well until Chase website said redirecting back to quicken and just sits there). Wait 1-2 minutes and Quicken "updated" its program interface screen and I was able to link the existing accounts.

Only "odd" thing I *think* (I can't be 100% sure) is that my payments (setup as transfers from checking to the various credit cards), seemed to change so that the transfers shows up as coming from the same credit card account. ie: Chase Freedom card shows payment of say, $50, and instead of showing [ACME CHECKING] it changed to: [Chase Freedom xx1234]

Really messed up reconciliation.
  • DanZindler
    DanZindler Member ✭✭
    > @leland said:
    > WORKAROUND I believe I may have found a workaround but before you try it, please backup your data.
    > 1. create a new account of the type you have at chase, but keep it as an offline account.
    > 2 deactivate online for the chase account you are upgrading.
    > 3. Manually set up online service for the new account you created which will take you to the the new chase login page.
    > 4. Once done on the chase page, you will return to Quicken where you can choose which account to link to.
    > This has worked for two different credit card accounts I have with Chase, though there was a glitch in one of them. The initial chase download created a new opening balance for the account which threw everything off when I tried to do a reconciliation. After much searching I found the false opening balance entry and now it works fine.
    > If this fails, restore from your backup until someone comes up with something new.

This method worked well for me, however all I dd was deactivate the old Chase account that was being replaced, then did the one step update and it let me link to the Chase account I deactivated.
  • BillM0109
    Went through the process this morning. Two Chase accounts – both credit card. Initially followed the instructions: Prompted to update connection, clicked to open the Chase window, entered Chase UserID and PW, selected the accounts I wanted to authorize, then back to Quicken to link to the accounts. The two Chase accounts showed with the option to link to existing Quicken accounts, but the pull-down to select the Quicken account to link only showed 5 accounts – none of which were the Chase accounts. Oops. Selected the option to not link and then to Plan B.

Deactivated download for both Chase accounts in Quicken. Then, went to one of the two accounts and went through the process to activate download. This started the connection process again: Chase window, User ID and PW, selected accounts for authorization, and back to Quicken. Quicken showed both accounts authorized at Chase and the "link-to" pull-down showed the corresponding accounts in Quicken. Selected the accounts and it worked! New transactions downloaded.

Did a one-step update later, and everything worked again.
This discussion has been closed.