Hidden Account Data

Options
jenten58@
jenten58@ Member ✭✭
Has the feature to "include hidden accounts" been removed when selecting the "custom" feature in the account window on the spending tab? Is there another way to get to this information without having to "unhide" them in the account list and then hide them again?

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    In a recent version update (I don't remember which one) the Show Hidden Accounts box selector was removed and replaced with the Show Separate Accounts box.  This was done because previously Hidden Accounts were to show up by default in reports (per the Display tab of Account Details) so it was confusing that Hidden Accounts were not.
    Also, prior to that update, Separate Accounts were not to show up in reports (per the Display tab of Account Details).  They didn't but it was confusing to some because the line between Separate and Hidden accounts was blurred.
    With the current reports customization defaults this issue is resolved:  All Hidden Accounts should by default be included in reports (can be manually unselected as desired) and all Separate Accounts are now not shown in the default reports.  Checking the box to Show Separate Accounts will allow you to select those Separate Accounts you might want to be included in reports.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What version of Quicken are you using?  (Help > About Quicken)
    In my version if I select "Custom..." in the Accounts window then a new small window appears and at the top of that window there are two options: "All Accounts (excludes hidden and separate accounts)" and "Selected Accounts."  That second option shows ALL Accounts in your file including separate and hidden.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    In a recent version update (I don't remember which one) the Show Hidden Accounts box selector was removed and replaced with the Show Separate Accounts box.  This was done because previously Hidden Accounts were to show up by default in reports (per the Display tab of Account Details) so it was confusing that Hidden Accounts were not.
    Also, prior to that update, Separate Accounts were not to show up in reports (per the Display tab of Account Details).  They didn't but it was confusing to some because the line between Separate and Hidden accounts was blurred.
    With the current reports customization defaults this issue is resolved:  All Hidden Accounts should by default be included in reports (can be manually unselected as desired) and all Separate Accounts are now not shown in the default reports.  Checking the box to Show Separate Accounts will allow you to select those Separate Accounts you might want to be included in reports.

• jenten58@
    jenten58@ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    It certainly answers the question ... but I was a frequent user of the "show hidden accounts" feature on the spend tab. Much quicker/easier/cleaner than running a report ... so I am disappointed. Hope they bring it back.
  • jenten58@
    jenten58@ Member ✭✭
    Options
    And to clarify ... when I select "show selected accounts" ... the information in hidden accounts is not included (at least on the spending tab).
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    jenten58@ said:
    It certainly answers the question ... but I was a frequent user of the "show hidden accounts" feature on the spend tab. Much quicker/easier/cleaner than running a report ... so I am disappointed. Hope they bring it back.

And to clarify ... when I select "show selected accounts" ... the information in hidden accounts is not included (at least on the spending tab).
    Maybe the hidden accounts aren't showing up because it was previously customized with hidden accounts not selected and saved?
    Maybe Quicken will bring it back or maybe not.  Trying to predict what Quicken will do is like trying to predict what the weather will be like a month from now.  If I were in your shoes I wouldn't hold my breath about that.  But you might want to consider doing the following that might make your life a little easier:
    1. Pull up a default Spending report (whichever option you prefer) and customize it like you want see it with Hidden Accounts selected.  If you also want to show the graph, select that option.  Then save it to My Reports with a custom name.  For example, Spending By Cat_w/Hidden Accts.
    2. Then customize it, again, but this time with Hidden Accounts not selected.  Then save it to My Reports with a new custom name.  For example, Spending By Cat_w/out Hidden Accts.
    3. Then right click on the Toolbar > click on Customize Toolbar > click on Add Or Removed Saved Reports > check the boxes for these 2 reports that were just saved > click OK > click Done.
    When done, these two reports will have icons placed for them into your Toolbar so all you need to do when you want to see one or both reports is to click on the Toolbar icons instead of needing to create or customize the report every time.

• SomebodyInGNV
    SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    If hidden accounts are to be included by default, at least tag them in the account list so we can readily identify them. In my case, they're closed accounts. I may or may not want to include them but the previous approach of the check box at the bottom made that much easier.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2022
    Options
    If hidden accounts are to be included by default, at least tag them in the account list so we can readily identify them. In my case, they're closed accounts. I may or may not want to include them but the previous approach of the check box at the bottom made that much easier.
    Good idea.  You might want to consider posting this as a suggested Product Improvement.  Just go to https://community.quicken.com/categories/product-ideas and click on the blue "New Idea" button.  Then type it up and categorize it ("Reports" would a good one...another would be "Product Enhancements"...you can select more than one category).  When done, be sure to click on the Voting button as shown in this example:
    The Quicken Team does review ideas posted here to determine which ones might be suitable to be added to their product development plans.  And the more people who vote for an idea the more likely it is that it will at some time be selected.
    In the meantime, something you might want to consider doing with those closed accounts:  Go into Account Details and add "CLOSED" to the Account Name (which is what I've done) or some other means of identifying them as closed accounts.  Someone else said they identify them with "zzz" or "xxx" at the beginning of the Account Name.  Then it will be fairly easy to know which accounts in the customization and in reports are closed vs which are open.

This discussion has been closed.