How do I fix the payee name changing to N/A and the comments changing to N/A
I've been using quicken since 2003. I am currently using quicken deluxe on a subscription basis. Since June 2022, many of my transaction are losing the payee and memo information and changing it to N/A. At first it was just a handful of transactions, but it is happening increasingly more now. If I open the file and change it, shutting down the program and reopening results in the payee info going back to N/A. I've validated and super validated the file twice now with no positive effect or change. This only seems to be the case on the windows program. When I look at the accounts in quicken online, the correct payee and memo are listed. I need help to solve this problem as I rarely use the online form since it is not as easy to use.
This discussion has been closed.