linking online bank accounts

Options
Post 57
Post 57 Member
I am trying to link existing Quicken account info to an online bank account. Each time I try it adds a new account, not linking to the existing account number. How can I not add more accounts and link to existing accounts?

Best Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    First backup your Quicken data file.
    Deactivate that account in Quicken so that it becomes an offline account.
    Then in the Account Details, delete all fields relating to the bank and leave them blank.

Quit and restart Quicken.
    Go to this offline account's register and use the upper right gear and select "set up online".  Find your bank, go thru the steps and select the "Link to existing" dropdown option which should display the choice to select this particular account to link to.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Post57,

If I am reading your post above correctly:

a) you have a bank account already established in your Quicken datafile, that is not "connected" (that is, you have not been downloading transactions or balances from the bank - you've been entering data manually);
    b) you now want to "connect" the account to the bank so that you can download data from the bank.

If this is correct, you should take the following steps:

1) backup your Quicken datafile (just in case);
    2) delete any and all "new accounts" that were setup while (as you say above) you were "trying to link".
    3) Open the existing bank account register in Quicken > Click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right of the account window > then click on "Setup Online";
    4) In the pop-up window - type in the name of your bank > click on the correct "name" of your bank in the list and then click "Next";
    5) On the next screen - insert your "Online User ID" and "password" > then click the "Connect" button;
    6) Assuming that Quicken locates your account at the bank, you should be presented with a screen that asks you to link your account to your Quicken file.  Continue to follow the on-screen instructions, which may vary by bank.

Let me know if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    First backup your Quicken data file.
    Deactivate that account in Quicken so that it becomes an offline account.
    Then in the Account Details, delete all fields relating to the bank and leave them blank.

Quit and restart Quicken.
    Go to this offline account's register and use the upper right gear and select "set up online".  Find your bank, go thru the steps and select the "Link to existing" dropdown option which should display the choice to select this particular account to link to.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Post57,

If I am reading your post above correctly:

a) you have a bank account already established in your Quicken datafile, that is not "connected" (that is, you have not been downloading transactions or balances from the bank - you've been entering data manually);
    b) you now want to "connect" the account to the bank so that you can download data from the bank.

If this is correct, you should take the following steps:

1) backup your Quicken datafile (just in case);
    2) delete any and all "new accounts" that were setup while (as you say above) you were "trying to link".
    3) Open the existing bank account register in Quicken > Click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right of the account window > then click on "Setup Online";
    4) In the pop-up window - type in the name of your bank > click on the correct "name" of your bank in the list and then click "Next";
    5) On the next screen - insert your "Online User ID" and "password" > then click the "Connect" button;
    6) Assuming that Quicken locates your account at the bank, you should be presented with a screen that asks you to link your account to your Quicken file.  Continue to follow the on-screen instructions, which may vary by bank.

Let me know if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @Post 57,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. What version of Quicken are you running? You can see this by navigating to Help > About Quicken. What financial institution are you experiencing this issue with? What connection method are you attempting to use? Do you receive any error codes or messages when attempting to add an account? 

Looking forward to hearing your response!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Post 57
    Post 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Accomplished what I was hoping to.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @Post 57,

Thanks for coming back to update us!

Would you mind sharing how you reached a resolution so that if other users are experiencing this issue then they may see this thread for advice?

Thanks again!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.