Quicken (Subscription) Not Updating During Clean Install / Server Down (related?)

TL/DR: Quicken is not updating itself after a clean install, possibly because the Quicken server is down.

The story:

The other day I was having issues with my Quicken accounts updating through One Step Update. I don't remember the error code(s). I tried to resolve one of the more important ones (my credit union) by reseting the account (no affect) and by deactivating all of my credit union Quicken accounts and trying to reconnect to all of them (also no affect).

(Unrelated, I was also having problems with Outlook not downloading new email and I no longer had sound coming out of my speakers.)

Freaking out, I thought a reset of Windows would solve everything. After several days and several failed attemps (other unrelated problems kept coming up), I finally was able to get a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 21H2 installed.

Then I installed a fresh copy of Quicken (Deluxe, subscription) and had it re-open an existing Quicken file on my computer. Then I tried to setup online services for my credit union accounts, but kept getting the "it's not you, it's us" (or whatever the verbiage was) error message. And on other Quicken accounts that I did not break the established online services connection with, I was getting an error code CC-510.

So I came here for support, and whenever I checked for a solution from people asking similar questions, the person answering would usually start with by asking what version of Quicken they were using. So I went to Help -> About Quicken...

And it turns out I was using version R1.

The latest version (as of this writing) was R42.21

Fortunately I had previously downloaded the at-the-time latest version of the Mondo Patch and was able to update Quicken offline to the version above. Now, after doing a One Step Update, my credit union accounts are updating. (One of my other accounts is geting a CC-510 error message but I think I can fix that myself).

So, to recap and go back to the original topic of this whole thing...there are two problems that are likely connected to one another:

1) When I did I fresh install of Windows 10 and then tried to re-install Quicken, I would get a screen (from the Quicken install) saying hey we're going to update Quicken while we're at it--but it doesn't.

2) And now, with Quicken updated to the latest version, if I go into Help -> Check for Updates, Quicken is saying it cannot contact the Quicken Server, please check (my) internet connectivity and try again, if the problem persists try again later. I even (briefly) changed my firewall settings to allow all connections to go through in the event it was blocking Quicken from phoning home, but the same problem happened.

Well, the problem is persisting, so I thought someone should know. I added everything else above in case someone else is having a similar problem and what I did to (try to) resolve it.

Perhaps the two problems are related...?

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is a long shot - Sign out of Quicken and sign back in as follows: Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts > Sign in as a different user > Yes > Sign Out.  Then quit Quicken, restart Quicken, and sign back in.
    R42.21 is the latest version so there is nothing further to update as of now.
    Please let us know if this resolves your situation.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

If you are getting "Oops, something went wrong" or "Check Internet Connection" …

• Have you recently enabled a VPN?
      If so, this might be the problem. Try turning the VPN off and see if that helps.
    • Is there a corporate or otherwise external firewall getting in the way? Contact the IT people maintaining the firewall and ask for permission.
    • Does your Antivirus software allow Quicken to connect to the Internet?
      Quicken needs to be able to establish outbound Internet connections for the program to work, e.g., in McAfee Firewall,
      one user states "By editing the Quicken Firewall entry Selecting Incoming and Outgoing, and changing it from "Default" to "Open to all devices" it now works without having to turn off the entire firewall!"
      If necessary, contact the Antivirus / Firewall vendor's Support Center.
    • In older Windows systems go to Windows Control Panel and select Internet Options (or in Internet Explorer, click on Tools / Internet options.)
      Click the Advanced tab.
      Scroll down the list to "Use TLS x.x" and click to put a checkmark on all available TLS choices.
      Turn off "Use SSL 3.0"
      Click Apply. Reboot.
    • If all else fails: Try rebooting your network router. When done reboot your PC

• > @BK said:
    > This is a long shot - Sign out of Quicken and sign back in as follows: Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts > Sign in as a different user > Yes > Sign Out.  Then quit Quicken, restart Quicken, and sign back in.R42.21 is the latest version so there is nothing further to update as of now.Please let us know if this resolves your situation.

Thank you for this! I'm not sure (yet) if this solved the Quicken Server issue, but it did resolve a separate related problem I encounterd during One Step Update: some transactions that took place around the time I first asked the question had finally downloaded from my banks (but were now considered duplicates since I spent a considerable amount of time trying to fix things before they got worse). I'm hoping the next time Quicken attempts to seek out (and find) an update, it will be successful.
This discussion has been closed.