Transaction vendor and category wrong on download

Options
mshook
mshook Member
(I'm new to Quicken) I live in a town with the word Southwest in the name, so many of my bank transactions have the word Southwest prominently in the description of the transaction. Quicken has decided that all of these transactions are Southwest Airlines with an appropriate Trave:AirTravel Category.

How do I fix that?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The first thing that came to mind was that perhaps you had created a Renaming Rule at some point.  Quicken will sometimes suggest creating a Renaming Rule for a new payee that is downloaded in a transaction.  If one is not familiar with Renaming Rules and how they work it can be easy to say "OK" and let Quicken create that Renaming Rule.  For instance if the Renaming Rule was then set up to rename to "Southwest Airlines" any transaction in which the Payee name contains "Southwest" it will then rename every transaction with "Southwest" in the Payee name as "Southwest Airlines."
    I suggest you go to Tools > Renaming Rules and see if "Southwest Airlines" is listed there.  If so, can edit it to modify which "Southwest" payee should be renamed "Southwest Airlines" or you can simply delete it (click on the red circle with the white dash inside of it).
    I would also suggest that you review your Memorized Payees (Tools > Memorized Payees) to see what transactions are shown there for "Southwest Airlines".  If you made changes to the Renaming Rules you will want to delete those transactions for "Southwest Airlines".
    Let me know if these actions resolved the issue for you.  If not, there might be a couple of other things we can look into.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You should be able to go to Tools > Renaming Rules and set up a Do-not-rename rule so that Quicken does not rename any payee that contains "Southwest". Then you can save Memorized Payees with the correct Categories for Southwest Bakery, Southwest Auto, etc. 

Please try that and let us know how it goes! 
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.