Do "Placeholder" transaction eventually go away on thier own?

Options
quick20
quick20 Member ✭✭✭
Do "Placeholder" transaction eventually go away on thier own? I have "Placeholder" transactions after resetting up my Quicken account. I do not have the information to complete the information that the Placeholder information requires. I see the delete option, but that changes the value of my account if I simply delete them. Is there a way to make the "Placeholder" prompts at the bottom of the register to go away without affecting the balance?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Placeholder transactions do not go away on their own.  I suggest replacing the placeholder transactions with appropriate transactions.  
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Based on the information that Quicken gets from the financial institution, it knows that you should have X number of shares of a stock, your Quicken transactions show Y number of shares of that stock.  If X and Y are not the same, Quicken creates a placeholder, but it doesn't know what the cost basis should be or the date, you need to supply that information. 
    Now, in reality that maybe one or it maybe multiple transactions that are missing, only you can determine that.  At the very minimum, you should be able to figure out the basis amount by comparing the amount for that stock on your FI's statement and what you have in Quicken, it may not be perfect (depending on the rest of your Q transactions), but it would be close.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    quick20 said:  Is there a way to make the "Placeholder" prompts at the bottom of the register to go away without affecting the balance?
    no - that's why they are there....
    You are missing some transactions that would account for the missing - shares, dollars, whatever -
    Need to do some research, and then an ADD for whatever is missing

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.