Goals and realty, don't meet here. No automatic way to do Chase conversion.

Options
Chris_QPW
Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
I can't see how Quicken Inc/Intuit/Chase could even conceive that the conversion to Express Web Connect + would go smoothly when the Downloaded Ids for Direct Connect are different they are for Express Web Connect +.

Direct Connect's Downloaded Id for a given transaction:

Express Web Connect +'s:

Signature:
This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm going to add this comment I made in another thread, just in case people find this thread and want to know how to deal with duplicate transactions (and duplicated accounts).

The standard way to find the duplicates is to sort by Order Entered (Gear icon -> Sorting options).  That will put the new transactions together where you can delete them.  Be sure not to delete transactions that are actually new.

And I will state that it is impossible to have a 100% clean conversion from Chase Direct Connect to Chase Express Web Connect + with existing accounts.  You are either going to have to deal with duplicate accounts (not linking to the old accounts) and use this FAQ on moving transactions to the right spot or you will have to deal with duplicate transactions if link to the existing accounts.
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken
    Signature:
  • SCAntonio
    Options
    Thanks. While this isn't cool, it confirms that I wasn't doing anything wrong & my next step was going to be creating the new EWC+ accounts and mass-migrating the old transactions. What a pain!
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I wonder if a lot of these issues are unique to Quicken Windows. I run Quicken Mac and the transition to the new connection method was seamless for me: didn’t have to deactivate existing accounts, simply authenticated with my Chase credentials when prompted, my accounts automatically linked up to my existing registers, and no duplicate transactions were downloaded, only new ones. It seems like Quicken Windows has had a lot more speed bumps than Quicken Mac users when scrolling through the forum, but I would tend to think issues with downloaded IDs being vastly different like the ones in your screenshot would apply to both Windows and Mac since those IDs are supplied by Intuit to Quicken. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Austin@ said:
    I wonder if a lot of these issues are unique to Quicken Windows. I run Quicken Mac and the transition to the new connection method was seamless for me: didn’t have to deactivate existing accounts, simply authenticated with my Chase credentials when prompted, my accounts automatically linked up to my existing registers, and no duplicate transactions were downloaded, only new ones. It seems like Quicken Windows has had a lot more speed bumps than Quicken Mac users when scrolling through the forum, but I would tend to think issues with downloaded IDs being vastly different like the ones in your screenshot would apply to both Windows and Mac since those IDs are supplied by Intuit to Quicken. 
    ABSOLUTELY!

I have seen a few posts on the Quicken Mac side that had some problems with the conversion, but FAR less (just a trickle) in comparison to what happening on the Quicken Windows side.

In some ways the Quicken Mac side doesn't know good they have it.

BTW even what I have seen in my testing seems to be different for some people.  I'm waiting on some screenshots of the Downloaded Ids from a person that said their conversion worked just fine with no duplicates (on Quicken Windows).  There is a lot of inconsistency in the reported problems on Quicken Window that you wouldn't expect to see, but there they are.
    Signature:
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The download ID mismatch makes sense.  However, I wish Quicken can allow us to override this and specify a date range of transactions to download. This way we can download only transaction not last reconciled.  I've been at this multiple days having to restore from my backup to get back to normal balance.  The download does not always cause duplicate transactions but replaces existing transactions and wipes out existing categories. This causes a huge mess in balances for all accounts since those categories are for transfers to other accounts.  With so many years of data, it is difficult to reconcile it all.  At one point I came close, but can never find the discrepancy.  I am thinking of just using QFX downloads directly from Chase and other institutions where I have an option to just download transactions within a date range.  Maybe this will be an option in the web express connect instead of downloading months of data that existing users don't need and just messes up our setup.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I decided today to take the plunge and convert my main data file.  After all most likely I will stop using Quicken when this conversion is over because I refuse to use Express Web Connect + (I intend to test, then disable it all and try to go back to Direct Connect with a backup).  Up to now I have only converted a test file that wasn't first setup for Direct Connect (new accounts were created).  That is the results you see in my original post showing the difference between the new data file and the old. 

Based on my conversion and what I have seen here in the forum the fuzzy picture of what Quicken Inc intended and what is really happening seems a bit clearer to me.  Note that as usual Quicken Inc isn't saying anything about what is really done/intended and as such this is only my guess.

I believe that Quicken Inc intended the user to see the Reauthorize dialog and select that and go from there.  One possible way that Quicken users might have got into trouble especially at the start is that they didn't go through that path.  This might be because the dialogs for this have changed over this period.  Note I'm on R43.20.  The users might have tried the conversion from the Online Services tab, or from Add Account.  They may or may not have deactivated accounts before proceeding.

I ran One Step Update and go the prompt to Reauthorize or I could skip it, which I have been doing up to this point.

The posts in this thread imply that Quicken Inc believed that the user would use the Reauthorize, enable that on the Chase site and then return to Quicken and they would magically linking their accounts and the whole process would go through smoothly entering only the new transactions.

Now we come to the reality part of this.  Note that it quite clear that depending on when people did this and most likely what was in their data file, their reality will differ from what I'm seeing on this conversion.

For me the reauthorizing at Chase and coming back to Quicken and continuing has always worked without any problems.  Note I use Microsoft Edge with no popup blockers and Windows Defender.  So, I can't comment on failures in this area, but clearly lots of people never even got past this part especially early on.  I should also note that I have no new transactions to download at this time, not even some pending, and I have two banking accounts and two credit card accounts that will be converted.  Also all the accounts that are going to be downloaded were available from one login.  The banking accounts are joint accounts, and the credit cards belong to that same login, but are authorized for use by my wife.  The point is this only testing one login.  Multiple logins would be "interesting" because when you log into the Chase website there isn't any way that you could log into both of the logins at the same time.  So, it would be "interesting" to know how the authorization for the second login is done.  Maybe the first would be done and the user would get the prompt again when they ran One Step Update again.  I might try another test only authorizing three of the accounts leaving one to be reauthorized on the other login.

After it came back and "thought about it"/processed what it needed for quite some time the "Linking" dialog came up:

As you can see it guessed the Checking account correctly, but left the other for me to select.  Again some people were not able to select the correct accounts in this dialog because they didn't show up.  All of my accounts did show up, so I selected them and then selected Next.

During this time I got a prompt for a recent transfer.

This was a transfer so I selected Yes and it proceed until it was finished.
    In the credit card accounts nothing changed.

In the Savings account (which has very little activity):

That is the transfer above that it asked about.  Note the transaction above it is the same transfer, so it duplicated that transaction.  All other transactions are fine in this account.

In the Checking account (which has some activity, but not large amount):
    It duplicated some transactions, but not all.  So, they are doing some kind of "magic" to try to get around the Downloaded Id problem I described.  Note even though it didn't happen to me it seems logical for the people that lost category information on transactions and such, that something in their data triggered changing transactions it shouldn't have.

Here is an example of some of the duplicates:

It seems to really like my credit card payments.  Maybe because these are some of the few transactions that I manually enter (reminder plus change to the right amount as entering) or maybe because they are transfers.  I don't know, the paycheck which has to be adjusted when entered doesn't have the problem.

Sorting my the New status:

Note all of these are duplicates because before I started I had downloaded all transactions.
    So, what to we see?
    They go back about 90 days.  Not all transactions are duplicated.  Most of the duplicates are credit card payments/transfers, but not all.  "Web Pay", "DMV", "HOA", and of course that on $1000 transfer between the savings and checking account.

Interesting enough "Web Pay" which is for the water bill shows up here, but another water bill payment doesn't...

At any rate CONCLUSION:
    Quicken Inc did think they put in place a plan to do this all smoothly, but the reality of different situations, and data files got in their way.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I tried the experiment of only authorizing the credit cards on the main login to see how Quicken would handle the authorizing of accounts on the second login.  And sure enough, it did those two accounts and didn't say anything else until I did a One Step Update again and I got the same reauthorize dialog, but this time with just the remain accounts which I was able to reauthorize/connect to the second login.

And just for reference.  I was able to go to the Chase site and stop sharing and then use a Quicken backup to go back to Direct Connect.  Note that you can't setup accounts with Direct Connect any more they have already removed that.  You can only go to a backup that had the accounts already setup for Direct Connect.
    Signature:
  • Walter@@
    Walter@@ Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    What will you use if you quit with quicken? I'm curious as I feel your sentiments exactly.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Walter@@ said:
    What will you use if you quit with quicken? I'm curious as I feel your sentiments exactly.

I'm just going to use the financial institutions' websites.

I'm basically retired (tiny bit of consulting), and have automated almost everything.
    Signature:
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Chris_QPW was not aware that you felt so strongly about using EWC+.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mshiggins said:
    @Chris_QPW was not aware that you felt so strongly about using EWC+.

Like all things in life there are compromises that have to be made, but whether we make them or not really depends on our circumstances.  If Quicken wasn't already basically a hobby for me, I would probably compromise and use it.  But I have no reason why I should compromise.
    Signature:
  • JohnA
    JohnA Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:

>> The posts in this thread imply that Quicken Inc believed that the user would use the
    >> Reauthorize, enable that on the Chase site and then return to Quicken and they would
    >> magically linking their accounts and the whole process would go through smoothly
    >> entering only the new transactions.
    >> ......
    >> For me the reauthorizing at Chase and coming back to Quicken and continuing has
    >> always worked without any problems.

For me (I have three Chase credit card accounts) the reauthorization process works fine, I even get an email saying it was done.  And when I go back to Quicken, my accounts are listed and match perfectly.  I finish and everything looks good.  *But* the connection type remains at Direct Connect.  Since it still works, I'm holding off on doing anything until I'm forced. Maybe somethings will change for the better than. But until then, I keep getting prompted to reauthorize during a one step update - every few days.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @JohnA well no wonder your accounts are fine, for whatever reason the conversion never happened!
    Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Chris_QPW ,
    I have not done anything yet with my two Chase CCs (that's all I have w/ Chase) and will wait until they don't work to make the switch.
    My initial thinking was to deactivate them, remove the account # and FI in the accounts details.  Then do an Add Acc and link.  From what I am reading here is that is not the best approach?
    How about this then: Deactivate both accounts.  Create separate QIF exports of each.  Add Chase as new accounts and ensure that all works for a few days.  And finally QIF import the old data into them. (I tested the QIF export/import and they work accurately).  I'd appreciate your thoughts on this approach please.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @BK it is really hard to give good advice on this conversion.

If I go by what seems to be what Quicken Inc intended the process I would suggest is to do nothing about changing your data file and just start One Step Update and when prompted start the Reauthorization.
    For my Chase credit cards that worked fine.  But that's the kicker.  Based on the feedback on here, people are having problems from even getting the web pages to come up, or Quicken to see continuing with the process or problems with changing transactions and such.  There is no telling if any part of this is going to fail for any given person.  Do note that the online balance will be wrong in the credit cards if you have any pending transactions.

For others they run into problems not deactivating first because they can't link to the existing accounts.

The big question in these two different flows is if Quicken is doing anything more special to prepare the accounts than just disabling them for downloading when using the "One Setup Update reauthorization method".

They have already surprised me with that flow of what it is doing so clearly there could be more hidden tasks being done, and at what time.  Like do they deactivate the accounts for downloading at the start or after coming back from the reauthorizing on the Chase website?

Bottom line is that they are doing multiple steps and at any given point one of them can fail and send you down a different path.

At this point I think I would go with doing the One Step Update process without changing anything in the data file.

If you get to the point where you can't link to the existing account, I would actually just let it create new accounts and then use this procedure to merge in the old transactions into the new accounts, and delete the old accounts.
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken
    Signature:
  • JohnA
    JohnA Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    @JohnA well no wonder your accounts are fine, for whatever reason the conversion never happened!
    Exactly! I’m hoping that it’s something on the backend that will be fixed. Or maybe the next release.  We’ll see. For grins, I started to add a new account at Chase and got the same reauthorization prompt doing nothing when finished - just matching with my quicken accounts correctly and exiting successfully. I have a feeling it doesn’t know what to do with an existing online account that’s already online enabled. Maybe the deactivation attempt is not working.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JohnA said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    Exactly! I’m hoping that it’s something on the backend that will be fixed. Or maybe the next release.  We’ll see. For grins, I started to add a new account at Chase and got the same reauthorization prompt doing nothing when finished - just matching with my quicken accounts correctly and exiting successfully. I have a feeling it doesn’t know what to do with an existing online account that’s already online enabled. Maybe the deactivation attempt is not working.
    Well, I have been thinking about different situations like your and say the ones where it totally trashes the accounts that it links too and I think I take these steps.

1. Don't do anything until forced to do it.  That way you have the most time for them to fix things like this.
    2. If their flow doesn't ever work for either of these situations (in the case of trashed account restore from a backup), then first go to the Chase website, Menu -> Security & Privacy -> Linked apps and websites and if Quicken is listed there as an active app, disable the sharing for it.
    3. Then in the Quicken data file go to each account and deactivate them for downloading.  Then use Tools -> Add Account, and select the Chase button. From there see if you can get through the process and be sure not to link to the existing accounts.  And then use this procedure to merge the old missing transactions with the new accounts.  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/17263538\  This will avoid any trashing of the existing transactions and give a cleaner approach to dealing with any duplicate transactions.
    The above will certainly not work for all possible error conditions, but it is the best chance I can see at doing with the least amount damage/work.
    Signature:
  • stevegsorrentino
    Options
    Quicken did it again. This is not the first time they unilaterally pulled something like this. Last time was even worse because they didn’t even have the courtesy to warn you. Instead, you had to figure it out on your own. Then, when I called them out on it, they denied it. Eventually they owned up to it. Of course, there was no fix and no apology.

I decided to create totally new Chase accounts with the 90 days of transaction from the new “+” download method AND keep my old Chase accounts (after deleting the most recent 90 days of transactions that were duplicates). It’s not ideal, but was the least time-consuming approach for me.

Here’s the steps I used:

1. Backup Quicken data file

2. Deactivate my Chase accounts

3. Add “new” Chase accounts by using Tools => Add Account => click Chase button

4. After going through the Chase procedure, when the new accounts appear, use Add Accounts (do not link them to existing Chase accounts). Now, you have 90 days of transactions in these new accounts.

5. Now the fun part: review every transaction in the new accounts and compare them to the duplicate transactions in the old accounts. In my case, I had to make about 100 edits to reflect account transfers, categories, tags, etc. Chase doesn’t have knowledge of all the internal transfers I made to my Chase accounts in Quicken. Without me making these adjustments, all my other accounts that had transfers were out of balance.

6. Delete duplicates that are in the old accounts and new accounts

7. DONE

If I were to charge Quicken my hourly rate for the time I wasted fixing the problems they created by their incompetence, I would be sending them a bill for $8,800. If anyone has an appropriate address to send the bill to, please let me know.

I’ve been a Quicken user since the early days (since the early 1990s or maybe the 1980s). I even helped them figure out how to calculate IRRs correctly. But, after this fiasco, I give up. I will move on to another software package. It will be difficult initially, but I will do it. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
This discussion has been closed.