Are Quicken file formats compatible between Quicken plans?

telennar
telennar Member ✭✭
If I use my copy of Quicken Home and Business to set up a Quicken file for someone, and then send it to them, will they be able to use it on their copy of Quicken Premier? Or might there be issues?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Basically, yes. But if you set it up with business accounts, the premier user would not be able to use the business tools on those accounts. The accounts would still be available, just not the related tools. If one drops all the way down to a Starter edition, the tools get even more restricted. 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    All the versions use the exact same file data - and merely enable certain features for each version. 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Basically, yes. But if you set it up with business accounts, the premier user would not be able to use the business tools on those accounts. The accounts would still be available, just not the related tools. If one drops all the way down to a Starter edition, the tools get even more restricted. 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    All the versions use the exact same file data - and merely enable certain features for each version. 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody mentioned it yet, but the friend will have to change the Quicken Id that is associated with the file by going to Edit->Preferences->Quicken Id and log in as a different user.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• telennar
    telennar Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    @q_luker, of course, he isn't planning using anything more that is available in Premier, but thanks for the reminder.
  • telennar
    telennar Member ✭✭
    @splasher, yes, we'd assumed he'd be logging in with his own Quicken ID. Are you saying this ID is stored in the data file and not associated with the installed software? That I didn't know. Thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    telennar said:
    @splasher, yes, we'd assumed he'd be logging in with his own Quicken ID. Are you saying this ID is stored in the data file and not associated with the installed software? That I didn't know. Thanks.
    How they "store" the Quicken Id is sort of strange.
    They store it at both the user and data file level.

For instance.  Say you have multiple data files and one Quicken Id.
    You will be prompted to login into the Quicken Id when you open that data file, and it will be associated with that data file.  From then on you will not have to log into the Quicken Id to open the data file, is done automatically.  And this automatic log into (after the first login for that data file) will carry for every data file you have that is associated with that Quicken Id.

But lets say you have a second Quicken Id and a second data file that has been associated with it.
    If you switch between the two data files you will be prompted to log in with that Quicken Id.

So, there is both the concept of a Quicken Id associated with the data file and also the "current Quicken Id" for user.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.