Unable to add new loan account

I have tried to add a new personal loan account and a new car loan account to my Quicken register so that I can track them. Each time I go through all the prompts and when I am finished and click done the loan is not added. I end up in a never-ending loop where I have to cancel adding the new loan. How can I add a new loan account manually?

Answers

• Hello @Me2022,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue with adding a loan account. 

I have located two support articles that discuss how to manually add an account in Quicken for Windows. You may follow these links here and here to access those FAQS. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Me2022
    Me2022 Member
    Thank you for the response. I have followed the links you provided, and they provide the same information I used to try and resolve this issue. Unfortunately, what is happening is that when I follow the steps provided to create a manual account as soon as I reach the end and select done, I'm taken to the previous screen to set up (The one that says Quicken will set up a loan reminder) and never actually creates the account. From that screen I select Next and am taken to the screen to select which payment account to pay the loan from. I select the account and select DONE and am returned to the previous screen again (The one that says Quicken will set up a loan reminder) this goes on perpetually and I cannot establish a new loan account.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Me2022 said:
    Thank you for the response. I have followed the links you provided, and they provide the same information I used to try and resolve this issue. Unfortunately, what is happening is that when I follow the steps provided to create a manual account as soon as I reach the end and select done, I'm taken to the previous screen to set up (The one that says Quicken will set up a loan reminder) and never actually creates the account. From that screen I select Next and am taken to the screen to select which payment account to pay the loan from. I select the account and select DONE and am returned to the previous screen again (The one that says Quicken will set up a loan reminder) this goes on perpetually and I cannot establish a new loan account.
    Hello @Me2022,  

I am sorry to hear about this issue with adding loan accounts and this strange looping process. Thank you for discussing this with us further. 

Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that the data file is located on your computer, and not on an external drive, or cloud-based storage service, as these locations can cause erratic program behavior and even data damage. 

If you have the chance, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

Try adding a loan account by navigating to the Add Account button denoted by the '+' symbol in the upper left-hand side of the screen, then see if this issue continues. 

I hope to hear back from you about your results.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Flipr
    Flipr Member ✭✭
    I have same issue, using QW version R43.32. Data file on C drive. Want to see register for loan, so I have to create Manual account. When I do, I setup loan, go to 'create reminder' enter specifics, buttons are cancel, back and next. Click NEXT loops me back to create reminder page, and it loops continuously. Clicking 'cancel' cancels the add, no way to get out of loop.

I tried the suggested CREATE NEW ACCOUNT. Had to create a dummy bank account, and then created loan. It worked properly. After setting up NEW LOAN, and reminder was created, next screen was asking if I wanted to track an asset. When I chose not to it showed FINISH option, and it refreshed screen and said ACCOUNT CREATED or something like that and everything seemed to be properly setup.

So how do I fix my real data file? Test file is in same directory as my existing file.
  • Flipr
    Flipr Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    UPDATE to previous comment

I tried doing a VALIDATE data file, ran successfully, got log report. Closed Quicken, started Quicken again, same issue, could not create new loan, just looped around after trying to create reminder. Reminder was not created, loan account not created, freshly validated data file. Please help.
  • Hello @Flipr

Thank you for providing more information and for attempting the test file. 

Have you attempted to sign out and then back into your data file? Please follow the steps below in order to do so.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out 
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password 
    Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Me2022
    Me2022 Member
    Thanks for the information. I followed the steps you provided and still have the same result. Left in a never-ending loop of Click Next and then Done, and it continues the same as before.
  • Flipr
    Flipr Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Jasmine Followed steps you suggested to log out of Q account, and re-log in. Before attempting I also had 3-4 complete reboots during norton software update. NO CHANGE in issue, still cannot add a manual loan account, loops back to reminder creation before actually creating loan.
  • Hello @Flipr and @Me2022,

Thank you for attempting those steps, though I apologize that the issue is still occurring. 

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken? Please refer to the following support articles for instructions on uninstalling here and reinstalling here.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Flipr
    Flipr Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Jasmine, kinda drastic suggestion, but IT FAILED. Uninstalled, reinstalled, opened existing account, unable to add new manual loan, same issue, just kept looping thru attempting to setup reminder, and never finalized.
  • Me2022
    Me2022 Member
    I had the same experience. Uninstalled and reinstalled without success.
  • Hello @Flipr

Next, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Please let me know how this goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Hello @Me2022,

Thank you for attempting these troubleshooting steps. 

Could you please provide the full file path for where your Quicken data is located? You can do this by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer. Then you can copy and paste everything located in the top bar into your response. 

I look forward to hearing from you!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Flipr
    Flipr Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Jasmine, good news, bad news. Attempted to copy file as suggested. Got error, hopefully pic shows dialog box, basically saying it couldn't copy all transactions. I clicked ok, copy proceeded, apparently deleting what couldn't copy. Ran thru, my data went back to 1991. Next dialog box asked if I wanted to use old file, or new copy, so I guess it finished. No log that I can find advising what didn't copy. Opened new file, and was ABLE TO CREATE MANUAL LOAN. YEAH! But what did I lose besides all my online connections? Since this file has my entire life history, its important for IRS records, investing etc. And if I lost individual transactions are my account balances now out of whack? Thanks much
  • Hello @Flipr

I am happy to hear that you were able to create a manual loan!

Please reconnect your online banking services and double-check your balances and then reach back out if things are incorrect and we can look into it!

Thank you!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Flipr
    Flipr Member ✭✭
    @quicken Jasmine The cure is looking worse than the disease. Using new copy file, I am attempting to setup existing accounts to re-establish online access. Click first account, have buttons at bottom of register showing "setup download". I click button, entire screen grays out, and it locks up. After 10 minutes, still grayed out, can't close window with X in corner, can't close window from taskbar, only way to close is Task Manager. Repeating attempt has the same results. So I have my loan setup, but Quicken is un-usable. I was able to add another bank account, 2 brokerage accounts, 3 credit cards, but it always freezes attempting to connect with Capital One bank.
  • Hello @Flipr

Thank you for reaching back out, I apologize that you are experiencing more issues with your Quicken application. 

We recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation if needed. 

The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00am PT to 5:00pm PT, Monday through Friday.

Thank you. 

-Quicken Jasmine

This discussion has been closed.