Community website issue

MSStateDawg
MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
Clicking "All Categories" produces no categories.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm ... that works for me. Selecting "Categories" from the top line of a Community webpage shows the expected list of categories.
    What browser are you using? On a Windows PC, a Mac or something else?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Note that where it shows "View" you are set to "Following". This means it will show only the categories you have selected to follow; if you don't have any categories you've marked to follow it will show nothing until you switch it to "All" of follow some categories. (For instance, as a Mac user, I'm not interested in posts about Quicken Windows, so I have followed each Quicken Mac category so that my Home on the site shows me only threads from those categories. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Stephen Fisher
    Stephen Fisher Member ✭✭✭
    Why are so many threads "closed"?  I just searched for one that interested me - all threads before Oct 27th were closed.  And not because the matter had been obviously cleared up.  My searches are almost always checking for workarounds for when QMac is lame or incomplete and those responses should never be closed. At least until Quicken directly addresses and corrects the underlying problem. 
  • MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    *in before "lame" is filtered by admins*
  • Stephen Fisher
    MS, don't understand your comment.

I was just now looking for "Bond Maturity Report" (which does not exist in QMac) and there was a lively discussion with intelligent posters from March and April of this year.  But that one is now CLOSED.  Why?
  • MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    MS, don't understand your comment.

I was just now looking for "Bond Maturity Report" (which does not exist in QMac) and there was a lively discussion with intelligent posters from March and April of this year.  But that one is now CLOSED.  Why?
    It was a weak attempt at humor. The admins of this site routinely edit out derogatory text like your word "lame".
  • Stephen Fisher
    That's pretty sad without context. Uh oh, I said "sad"
  • Stephen Fisher
    There are. so many shortcomings in QMac, especially the Canadian version, where we cannot even calculate our capital gains (!), and now we can't even use negative words to discuss it. Terrible.   
  • Stephen Fisher
    I can still edit it for another hour.  Should I change "lame" to "weak"?

• jacobs
    @Stephen Fisher The moderators often close discussion threads when posts have dried up. This is mostly to prevent someone from coming along many months or years after a thread was active and saying "I have the same issue" even though the program may have had many updates since the original thread was active. (Note: this does NOT happen with Idea threads for new features and functionality; those remain open for additional comments and are only closed if/when an Idea has been implemented.)

The best advice if you want to continue a closed discussion is to start a new thread and provide a link to the prior one. 
  • Stephen Fisher
    I hear you, but I think they're very quick on the trigger at some threads. And it comes up regularly for stuff that interests me.  A new thread with a link to the old one sounds like a great solution. How is that done?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I hear you, but I think they're very quick on the trigger at some threads. And it comes up regularly for stuff that interests me.  A new thread with a link to the old one sounds like a great solution. How is that done?
    Just include the URL to the other thread. If you are on that thread, you can just copy what is in your web browser's address box.

BTW besides closing threads, they also later archive them.  If they archive a thread only the Moderators and SuperUsers can read them.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    I agree that sometimes threads are closed prematurely. And sometimes it's done by mistake, or because someone hasn't read the thread in detail. Sometimes it's just because a topic has gone silent for a while. If you think a thread should still be open because you want to add a comment, you can click the "Flag" link under a post in the thread and enter a comment that you think the thread should be reopened; those flags go directly to the moderators, who may decide to re-open a thread, or may direct you to start a new one. 
  • Stephen Fisher
    TY, Jacobs
This discussion has been closed.