Quicken Deluxe is running slow. Is there a way to speed it up?

Options
There used to be a way to archive old transactions, so it ran faster. Does that exist or is there another way to speed it up?

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Options
    Hello @bmeinster,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

First I would suggest uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken. To do so, please refer to the following support articles for instructions on uninstalling here and reinstalling here.

However, after you have uninstalled and before you proceed with reinstalling, please open your Windows File Explorer and navigate to This PC > C: Drive > Program Files (x86) and delete the folder titled "Quicken" (doing so does not affect your data files). After you have deleted this folder, go ahead and try reinstalling.

bmeinster said:
    There used to be a way to archive old transactions, so it ran faster. Does that exist or is there another way to speed it up?

Alternatively, you can try "shrinking" your data file and copying the data you wish to keep and move forward with by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect up all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward as the new copy replaces all internal lists and database tables as well as creates a new and separate dataset ID.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ELC72903
    Options
    Frequent defrag and optimize usually clears mine after upgrades installed. You may have tried that but frequent defrag on older computers seems to help. I think the drive gets tired also.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bmeinster said:
    Please tell us a little more about your computer.

How much RAM do you have installed on your computer?

What version of Windows are you using?

After Quicken has been started, what does Windows Task Manager show about "% Memory" usage and "% Disk" busy of your C: - drive?

I have recently upgraded an abysmally slow Windows 8.1, Quicken R 41 laptop from 4 GB RAM to 8 GB RAM and the computer now performs very well. I no longer see "96% Memory usage" combined with "100% C- drive busy" just trying to do something, anything on the computer.

• bmeinster
    bmeinster Member ✭✭
    Options
    RAM 16 GB
    Windows 10
    Quicken 0% of 15% used; Disk 2%
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bmeinster said:
    RAM 16 GB
    Windows 10
    Quicken 0% of 15% used; Disk 2%
    Thanks for responding. That eliminates "possible RAM shortage" as a cause for Quicken running slow.

• bmeinster
    bmeinster Member ✭✭
    Options
    So, what do I do?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bmeinster said:
    So, what do I do?
    Good question.
    Have you followed earlier responses in this discussion and uninstalled/reinstalled Quicken, to ensure it isn't a software installation problem causing grief?
    Have you created a copy of your data file with a cutoff date to eliminate old transactions? (I recommend keeping 4 - 5 complete years plus the current year in the current data file)
    Have you validated and supervalidated your data file, to eliminate data file corruption as cause?
    Are there specific areas of concern, e.g., when I do _that_ specific function, Quicken runs slow?

This discussion has been closed.