Quicken stopped downloading item descriptions from my Synchrony account

Options
Jay Gourley
Jay Gourley Member ✭✭✭
Does anyone know what's going on between Quicken and Synchrony bank?  Until a few weeks ago, every transaction on my Amazon store card was downloaded into Quicken for Windows with a description of the item purchased.  No more.  Transactions still download, but with no description of the item.  Since purchases from Amazon fall all over different budget categories, I have to look up each one now.  I tried to find out what happened.  Quicken says it downloads all the information available from Synchrony.  Synchrony pointedly says it has no relationship with Quicken, as if there were some wrangling going on. If I browse to the Synchrony web site, the descriptions of each of the items purchased are still there.  But Quicken says it uses a different web service Synchrony maintains for Quicken to use.  I'm guessing no one here knows what's happening but thought I'd ask.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @Jay Gourley,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue with the details of your downloaded transactions. 

First, I suggest creating a test file and adding the Synchrony account(s) to see if it produces the same issue with the details of your transactions. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. Below are instructions on how to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Jay Gourley
    Jay Gourley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi, Jasmine.  Lots of good information there.  Has nothing to do with my question.  Did you now understand what I asked?  Or did you think I meant something else?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @Jay Gourley,

Yes sir, I did understand. However, it seems you misunderstood my guidance. Allow me to clarify, the test file is relevant as it will allow us to see if this is occurring only in your main file (which would lead us to believe there may be data corruption) or if this occurs in the test file as well (which would indicate an issue with the way the financial institution is sending the information). 

Please let me know how the test file goes. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Jay Gourley
    Jay Gourley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I suppose I should have listed all the things I'm not interested in.  I'm not interested in anything that doesn't pertain to Quicken Windows.  I'm not interested in troubleshooting this problem.  I am interested in anyone one on this forum who has any information about the problem.

I know lots of people who post here are looking for instructions on how to resolve a problem.  So it's understandable that folks would think that's what I really meant.  But in this case, I really did mean what I said.
This discussion has been closed.