Chase reauthorization creates duplicate account

Options
arbwejw
arbwejw Member ✭✭
I have reauthorized my Chase accounts and ended up with two accounts: one is the original going back years and it updates properly, AND a duplicate which updates properly but only goes back a few months. I want to get rid of the duplicate. Do I delete it or merge it? Can this be done with no effect on original account?

Answers

• rdclawn
    rdclawn Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I had the same experience with a BOA account. I deleted the new BOA account and all seems well.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rdclawn said:
    I had the same experience with a BOA account. I deleted the new BOA account and all seems well.
    That sounds like the wrong thing to do.  It would be the new Bank of America account that is connected for downloading.

arbwejw said:
    I have reauthorized my Chase accounts and ended up with two accounts: one is the original going back years and it updates properly, AND a duplicate which updates properly but only goes back a few months. I want to get rid of the duplicate. Do I delete it or merge it? Can this be done with no effect on original account?
    Here is a method for moving transactions between accounts.  I would delete the duplicate transactions in the new account and move all the transactions in the old account to the new one, and then delete the old account.
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • M_Schmedeman
    Options
    i have also had a duplicate account created during this process, and i do NOT want to lose the data from old account. i would lose all my historical data then in making reports going forward with the forced new account.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you don't want to move a lot of transactions around, you want to keep your history and you want to continue with the new account register into the future ...
    • choose a cutoff date where the old register stops and the new one continues (a statement ending date perhaps)
    • in the old register delete all transactions after cutoff date, making sure that a matching transaction exists in the new register already
    • in the new register do the following:
    • change the account's Opening Balance to 0.00 and set date to 1 day before cutoff date
    • delete all transactions prior to the cutoff date
    • create a "Transfer Balance" transaction to transfer the balance from the old register to the new, dated as of the cutoff date
    • carefully reconcile, i.e., compare bank statement with old register to make sure everything is correct
    • reconcile the new register. Eliminate all discrepancies (missing, duplicate, incorrect transactions, etc.)
    • when everything's looking good, remember to change any reminders still pointing to the old register to use the new register instead.
    • mark the old account register closed and rename it: put a "~" or "z" in front of the account name, e.g. "~My VISA (old)"
    Done.
This discussion has been closed.